Phormictopus atrichomatus

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi anyone here keep the Phormictopus atrichomatus, I like them so I will be picking one up in a couple of days, what I wanted to know as I can only find limited resources relating to this specie is the care requirements.

Thanks in advance

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some species you just have to take your best guess and go from there. I'd set it up more or less like a L. parahybana (4"-6" of substrate, assuming it's of decent size, a good hide, waterdish and medium humidity) then observe it closely to see if it seems to need anything and make adjustments as you see fit.

NW "jungle giants" tend to have pretty similar care requirements with the exception of humidity levels. My P. cancerides seems to dislike wet substrate and seems just fine with med-low humidity. I wet down a corner about once a week and do occasonal heavy soakings. She won't leave the water dishes alone so she drinks from a puddle whenever I make one.

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine is 3.5" now and I keep it on 4-5" of moist sub, but it's never made a burrow, just a little dip in the sub to hide in. Watch out though, they have a bit of attitude, and are a bit skiddish as well.

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok thanks guys, yes ive heard they are a bit bad tempered but I really do like the Phormictopus genus they are awesome, my Haitian Brown is a machine.

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I received her today and she is huge, and very very aggressive but is a lovely looking spider and is currently on a fat roach, I usually let them settle in before feeding but I had to distract her whilst I put a fresh bowl of water in, even then she reared up lol happy days

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good to hear Squid! (Anxiously awaiting pictures)

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Was send to my uncle from Switzerland and I went to pick it up

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I kept being asked for pictures this is the first attempt at uploading bare with me

click on images for full size

Last edited:

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This one don't want to use the burrow it stays out on display all the time which is a bonus

danny9704

Arachnopeon
singapore cleaning

hi i was wondering with having to have the singapore blues incloser high humidaty how often do you have to clean these out please help me thanks danny:razz:

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
General maintenance everyday like Poop removal and uneaten insect carcasses should be removed daily to prevent spoil and mould occurring in the tank which can cause ill health and even death to the Tarantula. Clean as you see fit really I probably do a full substrate change on my Tarantulas maybe 3 times a year.