Phoneutria nigriventer pictures

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A few pictures of my adult female Phoneutria nigriventer, shes about 13cm legspan

/Lelle

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
nice one,...

could you post a more complete view on your set-up,... seems intresting:D

occitanus

Arachnopeon
Awesome pics! Never possessed a P.nigriventers and hope they will become more readily available in the States.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gongyles, I will take a few more shots later.
Occitanus, if they become available I hope the dealers are using common sence and dont sell them to the average hobbyist. Faster spider is hard to imagine. Unbelivable.

/Lelle

occitanus

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Crotalus
Gongyles, I will take a few more shots later.
Occitanus, if they become available I hope the dealers are using common sence and dont sell them to the average hobbyist. Faster spider is hard to imagine. Unbelivable.

/Lelle
Yes, I hope the dealers are knowledgable about the animal their selling. That these are not ordinary huntsman spider species (Heteropoda, etc.) but are Phoneutria, spiders of medical importance and aggressive ones at that. On the other side of the scale, I feel this is one of the medically significant spiders that is probably most maligned.

Here is an excellent quote from Latin American Insects and Entomology by the late Charles L Hogue, "The venom of banana spiders is considered highly toxic, and a few cases of human deaths from their bite are well documented (e.g. Trejos et al. 1971), although this had occurred only in persons who are weak or small children. Bites occur frequently among workers who handle clusters of bananas. Some characteristic symptons are local intense pain, tachycardia, salivation, disturbed vision, sweating, priapism, and prostration (Schenberg and Pereira Lima 1978).

Two well-known species are P.nigriventer, from southern Brazil, and P.fera, which inhabits Amazonas."

With symptons like that, this is a spider that requires the greatest respect and care. :)