Phidippus color morphs

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Until recently I was up in Illinois, and for the most part Phidippus looked run of the mill, only really having color as pre-adults, and only the normal spotting. Now that I have moved to Texas I am seeing more and more interesting color variants. I thought this one was pretty nice.

It has blue chelicerae like regius, but the flat black spots like Id expect on audax. Pretty cool looking if you ask me.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My goodness. Very pretty. These little spiders still remain my absolute favorite. My boyfriend recently decided that my Phidippus audax be the first spider he would like to try handling.

LasidoraGT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love these lil guys. watching them eat is really interesting. Here in PA the ones here are black with white,orange,or yellow markings.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well the orange beauty is no longer an orange beauty. Molted a few days ago and pretty plane jane now. Most interesting to me is that the chelicerae are now totally green, when they were blue in the previous molt.

On another note, I found a few more oddball colored ones recently, Ill get some photos up before too long.

Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Phidippus color morphs are interesting. Phidippus borealis females apparently have two morphs that look so diffferent from one another you wouldn't think they were the same species!

Nice pictures.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very nice. The babies are a pain to try and feed, though. I found a very tiny jumper baby in my place which I am keeping...all I can make out is that it's a jumper by the shape, but the colour patterns are still too small to see. I'm excited to see it grow into whatever mystery species it is!

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So many cool variants, I have a ton more I haven't gotten around to photographing yet, but here is a common one in the males around here.

Two males from the same site, same population. One has the white markings on behind the eyes on the margins, the other is pure black.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check out this page to see some more crazy P.audax morphs!

http://bugguide.net/node/view/2006/bgpage

They have crazy variety. The last male you posted, that patterning on the cephalothorax reminds me of Venom, from Spider Man. I wonder if it was any inspiration for that characters design :D