Phidippus Audax Bryantae

LadyShia77

Arachnobaron
Hello all. It's been a while lol. Anyways, I was messing online and got to reintroduced to phidippus audax bryantae. I'm not very familiar with them have tried looking up more about them, but can't find much other than pictures. I'm wanting to confirm whether they are an off species of audax, merely a color variant, or whatnot. If they are merely a color variant, can they occur in any region where audax live or does it happen only in certain areas. Thank you in advance for any and all information on this subject.

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
Don't know but I recently acquired one and its pretty awesome has orange color on it and is very active and inquisitive.

LadyShia77

Arachnobaron
Don't know but I recently acquired one and its pretty awesome has orange color on it and is very active and inquisitive.
Sounds like an awesome little spood. I learned in one of my jumping spider groups on Facebook that it is just a variant in color. If it's only a partial variation then it's often referred to as a half bryantae. Pretty sure I had a few in my baby audaxes a few months ago, but didn't notice the different coloration until after I had released them and it was too late to get them back. lol

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I live in Kentucky and I find the orange ones around my house. I actually have 3 orange ones right now I caught around the house. They like making their hammocks inside fences, little narrow areas, inside locks and latches and stuff like that. The most recent one I rescued from inside the knob of the water hose in my backyard, she had made a hammock inside but was surely going to get drowned.

Jumping Arachnids

Arachnopeon
Yes Phidippus audax bryantae are just a Phidippus audsx colour variant, the ones with more white seem be found everywhere where normal audax are found or they are just audax babies that have more white. There are also regional variantions like big bend that can be found in Panhandle florida, and the ones in Mexico seem to look a bit different as well.

LadyShia77

Arachnobaron
I live in Kentucky and I find the orange ones around my house. I actually have 3 orange ones right now I caught around the house. They like making their hammocks inside fences, little narrow areas, inside locks and latches and stuff like that. The most recent one I rescued from inside the knob of the water hose in my backyard, she had made a hammock inside but was surely going to get drowned.
I live in Western, NC and the most I've noticed as far as color variation has been on one of my audax girls. She seems to have more yellow/gold on parts of her abdomen. She seems to be my only audax, that I have, that has different colors and not sure if that really counts as bryantae. I've never seen any ornage here other than the juveniles with orange spots.

Yes Phidippus audax bryantae are just a Phidippus audsx colour variant, the ones with more white seem be found everywhere where normal audax are found or they are just audax babies that have more white. There are also regional variantions like big bend that can be found in Panhandle florida, and the ones in Mexico seem to look a bit different as well.
I ahve a female that may have bryantae genes, but I don't really know for sure as she's pretty shy lol. All of the babies I got from her and my other female, that I kept, are just now becoming sub-adults. The only thing with them so far is some appear fuzzier than others.