Pets or Collection

ThePuzzlerOfRid

Arachnopeon
So, I've noticed as I've been browsing the board, that some people see their t's more as pets and some see it as a collection. And I'm curious whether there's overlap, especially with some of the older Arachnofans. Those who have larger collections, are there any that you are particularly attached to, or have names? Is it a mix of the two? Does anyone have mostly pets?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My collection is pretty small, but I think of them as pets same as I see fish, reptiles, amphibians, and other cold blooded animals as pets. I suppose there's a great deal of personification going on though they each seem to have little individual quirks (playing in the water, rearranging furniture, etc)
Just because they don't know that I exist other than a loud, vibration inducing thing that upsets them, doesn't mean I don't love em!
00054f417ca53c967c0cbfeafc255b4c.gif

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I think of them as more of a collection, which isn't to say I don't get attached to them, because believe me, I do; it's just that to me, a pet is a different sort of animal. To me, a pet is something you interact with, that you can show affection towards, that can return that affection, something you can hold. And tarantulas just don't fit that description. I don't think there's anything wrong with considering them as pets, so long as the keeper is still keeping them appropriately. I've heard of people perching them on their shoulders, "watching' TV with them while other animals are out in the room...that's crossing a line to where you're potentially endangering the animal in your quest to treat it as a pet.

cold blood

Staff member
I think of them as more of a collection, which isn't to say I don't get attached to them, because believe me, I do; it's just that to me, a pet is a different sort of animal. To me, a pet is something you interact with, that you can show affection towards, that can return that affection, something you can hold. And tarantulas just don't fit that description. I don't think there's anything wrong with considering them as pets, so long as the keeper is still keeping them appropriately.
My sentiments exactly...belle, how'd you get inside my brain:eek:

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't see them as pets or a collection.
I just find them as entertaining creatures that I look after.
I don't feel attached to them in any way, I just like having them.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I consider them minions. Minions that I will not insult with the term "pets". Oh yes, you may all laugh, but we'll see who gets the last laugh when you all are cowering in your attics, awaiting the inevitable conclusion of bowing before me. Yes, we'll see! Bwa-ha-ha!

Okay, right now, I only have five, so I guess technically it is more of a small collection of juveniles than a horde of minions, and they are lower-rung, new world specimens, but you have to start somewhere and besides, several have really itchy hairs! So basically when I unleash them, you're flicked.

Last edited:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
My sentiments exactly...belle, how'd you get inside my brain:eek:
I died yesterday at the dentist, now I'm a psychic ghost ooooOOOOOooo~

Lol. Or you know, us hobbyists think alike. XD

---------- Post added 10-24-2015 at 04:07 PM ----------

I consider them minions. Minions that I will not insult with the term "pets". Oh yes, you may all laugh, but we'll see who gets the last laugh when you all are cowering in your attics, awaiting the inevitable conclusion of bowing before me. Yes, we'll see! Bwa-ha-ha!

Okay, right now, I only have five, so I guess technically it is more of a small collection of juveniles that a horde of minions, and they are lower-rung, new world specimens, but you have to start somewhere and besides, several have really itchy hairs! So basically when I unleash them, you're flicked.
I'm just picturing an army of tarantulas, which you know...cutest army ever.

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
It's a collection, but that being said I love my collection. You can't play fetch with a tarantula but my stirmi catches crickets I toss to her so that's pretty cool - not very good on a leash though ;-P

rockpython

Arachnopeon
I have a collection. I am attached to every single one of my animals, though. I do think of them as ,somehow, "more than just spiders".

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They aren't pets, they are family. My others animal as well. Family. Just like the saw for Leatherface.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Its just a collection for me, no attachment. I view them as fascinating pieces of wildlife from around the world.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My Ts are considered my pets, as are my cats, parrots, bearded dragon. I enjoy caring for them and sharing my home with them all. That said, I draw the line at calling the feeders pets -- they are NOT pets (and if they were, they could not serve their intended purpose for me).

Manny

ArachnoAquarium
Arachnosupporter
I have been asked this by people before and I always tell them that it is a collection, I am a tarantula collector. However, they are treated exactly as pets are. No, I do not perch them on my shoulder or any other ridiculous method of endearment. I care for them and I allow them to enjoy their lives as tarantulas. Some people have a notion that all pets must be treated like a golden retriever. I completely and utterly disagree with this sentiment. Just as my tarantula cannot fetch, sit, or stay, my dogs cannot catch roaches, climb vertical walls, or web a tunnel like a master craftsman. Thank you, Manny

ThePuzzlerOfRid

Arachnopeon
Fascinating, I love hearing everyone's thoughts on their animals! I absolutely love keeping the little boogers, in the proper habitat of course. No tv for my minions. I have one or two I'm pretty attached to, the rest are an equally well cared for part of my collection.

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
They all started as pets, but now usually males turn into a collection. My husband and I had to learn to deal with parting with the males. Once we got past that, it started to be more of a collection. I'll get really attached to certain ones, and I'll be devestated if they pass. When my Brachypelma baumgarteni female had a bad molt, I did my first and hopefully last surgery. 23 days later she was gone and I didn't even want to look at my tarantulas for a couple days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I would have liked to see a poll in this thread...

+1 for collection. As others have said, to me, a pet is something I can actually interact with. These spiders actively hate us and want to be left alone. The downside is that referring to them as a "collection" tends to make you look like a freak to those outside of the hobby... although, willingly bringing in dozens of spiders into your home does a pretty good job of that already.

Several months back, I saw another user on this forum (the name escapes me) refer to spider collections as Pokemon. I can't think of a much better analogy, honestly :laugh:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
My small collection (which is about to expand in a few days) i view as both pets and just a collection. Let me rephrase that, although all of mine are unsexed (two are starting to look female) i would not view males as pets, but females on the other hand are too valuable, in my opinion not to be deemed pets