PetCo Conference Call Info

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Perhaps petco knew all along the ts would die ...so that the customer buys another ...a big scam
All Ts die , no matter where they were purchased . So do all dogs , all cats , all birds , all fish , all reptiles and all rodents that are sold by Petco or any other pet shop . It's not a scam it's just nature . All living things will die sooner or later . Even the mighty Norwegian Blue , no matter how beautiful their plumage .

Lander9021

Arachnosquire
Check how ppl start agreeing with my point now that a staff member has spelled it out to you....#sheeprobotdumbbrownnose

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Well, ok, I admit it: I bought and I'm proud...so there. Came home with a healthy, active wee LP sling, inovatively packaged, for $19, NO SHIPPING. Yes, it's tube seemed a bit dry, and yes, the clerk had to double check some husbandry notes on his smart phone (they had just come in that day, and nobody knew nuthin bout nuthin) but the little sucker has eaten every other day and looks bumptious and thriving. But when I saw the old world list, I nearly weed in my boots! Said they were CRAZY to sell those little soul suckers to unsuspecting 10 year olds, and let the litigation commence!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Now, may I ask all y'all to send letters to Petsmart requesting they cease to place koi, notoriously strong jumping pond fish that will be viewed from ABOVE, on the top damn shelf? I'm six feet tall, and even I sometimes cant even tell if there are fish in the tank!

Corporate pet empires: BARF.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Welcome to the land of free enterprize. The ball python morph breeders have lived there since the bottom dropped out of their market 4 years ago. Way of the world, m'dear.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
and NO OW tarantulas have been sent out yet, and none will.
That isn't true. This is all about that "Tarantula Hut" gimmick? My local Petco had 6 of them in stock back on April 8th, and they have all since sold. However, of the 6 slings in said huts, 5 were new world (a G. rosea, an Aphonopelma sp., a B. Vagans, and two Nhandu sp.)...but the 6th was an OBT. All of the slings were approximately fingernail size.
The main thing that annoyed me was one of the sales ladies harshly telling me that I wasn't allowed to take pictures, when I took a picture. Its not the first time I've taken pictures, but they said "corporate won't allow it". I said "or what?"
My wife then told them that there are no signs posted stating that pictures shouldn't be taken. They pretty much shut up at that point.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
That isn't true. This is all about that "Tarantula Hut" gimmick? My local Petco had 6 of them in stock back on April 8th, and they have all since sold. However, of the 6 slings in said huts, 5 were new world (a G. rosea, an Aphonopelma sp., a B. Vagans, and two Nhandu sp.)...but the 6th was an OBT. All of the slings were approximately fingernail size.
The main thing that annoyed me was one of the sales ladies harshly telling me that I wasn't allowed to take pictures, when I took a picture. Its not the first time I've taken pictures, but they said "corporate won't allow it". I said "or what?"
My wife then told them that there are no signs posted stating that pictures shouldn't be taken. They pretty much shut up at that point.
Hm. Well that's troubling.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's the future of "Tarachula/s" keeping, awesome. Just awesome. Crap bottles, weird "moquette" as substrate, a leave, adhesives all over the place. Pure minimalism with an hint of Kitsch, for a $20 steal price, offered by "Tarachula Hut".

For $30 some "Fry" will deliver as well a pizza to your address straight from "Pizza Hut" (joint venture) for have a "nice, Tarachula/s nite".

This is the beginning of a new dawn for the U.S "Tarachula/s" hobby!

European breeders, watch & learn, Jesus Christ. Watch & learn.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Check how ppl start agreeing with my point now that a staff member has spelled it out to you....#sheeprobotdumbbrownnose
On the contrary its also a good practice to distribute a wide variety of T's (hamsters, gerbils, lizards,snakes) in a good healthy manner as to have the same people come back and buy more. Majority of people just cant have one of these creatures.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Interesting. What you're basically saying is that these tarantulas sold by Petco will be in the category of "disposable pet." In case anyone is unfamiliar with the term, a disposable pet is an animal which usually die quickly, for one reason or another, and can be easily and cheaply replaced. Examples of this include gold fish, beta fish, anoles (lizards), mice, rats, gerbils, etc. etc. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that remember being kids and getting a pet, it dies, then you get a new one shortly after. I can't say for sure if that is what Petco or any pet store really intends with the animals they sell, but it would be hard to believe they are not aware of this occurring with pet consumers and plan for it accordingly.

Similarly, in other product markets there is planned obsolescence which we are all familiar with. This is when a product is designed to become obsolete or break after a period of use so that you, as a consumer, will go out and buy the same thing again over and over. Consumer technology is the best example of this and also occurs with every day mundane things you use around the house and don't even realize they are planned to fail.

It's really unfortunate that animals are treated like products, but they are. I don't make any claim to know what goes on in any pet store, but there are some realities of the pet trade that seem to be overlooked or outright ignored when discussions like this come up.
Most of what you classified as a "disposable pet" can be sold as a pet if the right person looks at it. However those seem to be more feeders to me. Again a better business practice is to sell healthy creatures in the attempt to have them come back and buy more. Not sticking up for petco tho. hahah
So what petco needs to focus on is better husbandry and the types of species being sold.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What point were you making? The fact that you think they are disposable etc, what Apho had posted about?

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Went in to my local petco last night for their deal on tanks. $1 per gallon. Grabbed a spare 10 gallon tank to have. Sure enough they had some OW slings in these little vertical containers. Foam at the bottom, and 2 fake leaves. No water, bone dry...looked like pokies to be honest. Just had to shake my head.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Possible good news on the petco front........

On a whim i just called a local to atlanta petco to "inquire" about tarantulas and the lady told me they have pulled all T's from their store and she was informed that petco is cutting most out of what was planned to be offered.
Nonidea if its just that store in specific or the whole chain thats doing this but i remain optomistic they may be altering their plans. Perhaps you folks who got to talk to them have done some good!!!!!!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
That's the future of "Tarachula/s" keeping, awesome. Just awesome. Crap bottles, weird "moquette" as substrate, a leave, adhesives all over the place. Pure minimalism with an hint of Kitsch, for a $20 steal price, offered by "Tarachula Hut".

For $30 some "Fry" will deliver as well a pizza to your address straight from "Pizza Hut" (joint venture) for have a "nice, Tarachula/s nite".

This is the beginning of a new dawn for the U.S "Tarachula/s" hobby!

European breeders, watch & learn, Jesus Christ. Watch & learn.
ANDDDDDD, THE HUT SMELLED ALL WIERD FUNNY, like the adhesive was made of something toxic. I peeled it off and threw it away. phew!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Possible good news on the petco front........

On a whim i just called a local to atlanta petco to "inquire" about tarantulas and the lady told me they have pulled all T's from their store and she was informed that petco is cutting most out of what was planned to be offered.
Nonidea if its just that store in specific or the whole chain thats doing this but i remain optomistic they may be altering their plans. Perhaps you folks who got to talk to them have done some good!!!!!!
Wow, does that make my little LV a collectors item??????

Dovey

Arachnobaron
775, member: 114046"]Wow, does that make my little LV a collectors item??????[/QUOTE]
LP, NOT LV. You kew what I meant, right???????