Pet Species

cherokeecrawler

Arachnopeon
Ok i use to be into tarantulas alot got a job where i couldnt take care of them and now getting back into it. I recently bought 5 I have a avic.avic, a avic. versicolor,b. smithi aka redknee,usumbara baboon,costa rican tigerrump.Is there any species that are a must have in a collection there are all under 1" except the avic avic its about 1.25". How of all the species i have what would yall say is the most docile?I look tarantulas i have not been bit but have been scared once I had a huge 6" bulky curlyhair she was so sweet well she had a huge adomen and i tilted my hand and she crawled up my hand and used her fangs to pull her self up.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avics are generally teddy bears :) So they should be nice!

If I'd vote for something you need to own it's a Nhandu chromatus! A beautiful T and they grow like weeds, eat like garbage cans and generally are great display Ts.

bkelley02

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got a chromatus and it beautiful so I couldn't agree more with the previous post.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The only one in your list i'd worry about is the usumbara. All the others are docile to skittish but not defensive. You shouldn't really have any trouble til it's bigger anyway.

It sounds like your one bite wasn't really a bite at all. Kinda your fault actually for tilting your hand.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Use the search funtion above to find out everything you ever wanted to know about each one of your little babies. Congrats and enjoy!

cherokeecrawler

Arachnopeon
T's

Are the pinktoes still docile when they are bigger? Never had a big one. Yes, even though is was my fault i know it was not my fault im glad i didnt drop it i would have been so mad. How are the mexican fireleg they docile?

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
from what i've read the avics are always very chilled. They're fast when then want to be and some can be jumpy but in no way aggressive. They do have urticating hairs which they drop passively and so don't kick them about in general. It's just something to be aware of when/if you try and handle them.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Are the pinktoes still docile when they are bigger? Never had a big one. Yes, even though is was my fault i know it was not my fault im glad i didnt drop it i would have been so mad. How are the mexican fireleg they docile?
Pinktoes = docile as adults.

"Mexican fireleg" = can be docile. Can be huge flickers.

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea there like fuzzy teddy bears!

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas are generally more docile as they get larger. Less nervous and also less energetic. So yeah, Avics are always docile, though they are quick moving compared with most terrestrial tarantulas and they have a tendency to jump that can unnerve some.

Mexican fireleg (B boehmei) don't bite but they have a reputation for flicking hairs without as much provocation. I have to say mine doesn't do this at all, but I don't bother her much either.

cherokeecrawler

Arachnopeon
T's

Awesome i love my avic avic and my avic versicolor they are both beautiful I have held them both but they are still small didnt know if things changed as they got older,because I held my 1/4" usumbara no aggresion just quick and i know they are mean when bigger.The mexican firelegs are bright and pretty.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok i use to be into tarantulas alot got a job where i couldnt take care of them and now getting back into it. I recently bought 5 I have a avic.avic, a avic. versicolor,b. smithi aka redknee,usumbara baboon,costa rican tigerrump.Is there any species that are a must have in a collection there are all under 1" except the avic avic its about 1.25". How of all the species i have what would yall say is the most docile?I look tarantulas i have not been bit but have been scared once I had a huge 6" bulky curlyhair she was so sweet well she had a huge adomen and i tilted my hand and she crawled up my hand and used her fangs to pull her self up.
Of the species you have I'd say the smithi is the most docile, though both avic species are generally quite harmless. My tigerrump is a very skittish little thing, and of course the baboon is...not generally considered docile.

Must have? Well, you don't have any aphonopelma there. I'd suggest that or (even better) A geniculata. Lots of people are keeping LP's too. They are neat because they are huge and you don't have to wait too long for them to get that way.

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Of the species you have I'd say the smithi is the most docile, though both avic species are generally quite harmless. My tigerrump is a very skittish little thing, and of course the baboon is...not generally considered docile.

Must have? Well, you don't have any aphonopelma there. I'd suggest that or (even better) A geniculata. Lots of people are keeping LP's too. They are neat because they are huge and you don't have to wait too long for them to get that way.
Don't forget one of my favorites L.klugi:D

Rottman3

Arachnopeon
A Chalcodes, aka AZ Blonde, is another T I own that is very laid back and does not typically kick hairs. They are very slow growing, however, so it takes a while to get to adult size.

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A Chalcodes, aka AZ Blonde, is another T I own that is very laid back and does not typically kick hairs. They are very slow growing, however, so it takes a while to get to adult size.
That is the sp. that started it all for me,back in 9th grade my science teacher had one that was only , well, a couple of , ok so it was so long ago mastodon was on the menu. :wall:

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what about the emilia with the black traingle on its carapace?
B emilia is a great spider on a number of levels. Docile, easy, nice looking in a subtle but tidy and elegant way. I recommend them heartily.

However, when I recommend new spiders to people, I usually try to help them branch out and get lots of types. Given that there's already a B smithi in this collection the emilia is a bit redundant since they are close relatives. That's why I suggested the Acanthoscurria.

On the other hand, Brachies are an AWESOME genus. Collections that sort of specialize are great too.

WS6Lethal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The gentlist is probably the genus grammostola. They are slow growers, but very docile.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with the Nhandu Chromatus. I had 6 different T species before it and it is by far the most active. It's constantly moving dirt around like a bulldozer. It's a juvie and didn't react well to handling, ran laps around my arm, other than that great species. Beautiful T!!!:clap:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think everyone should have a Iridoplema hirsutum. They are in my opinion one of the coolest Ts out there. They are a little on the fast side. Fastest T I have anyways. But im not worried about them using their fangs to hold on because they are arboreal. Right now I have 3 at about .75" and they have blueish legsa black and white striped abdomen with a hint of red on it. I understand they can be a little defensive when they get larger but so far mine are very easy going.