Pet Holes

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can someone explain something to me please?

All over the board I keep reading along the lines of, "what a boring T", "he/she's just a pet hole", "I never see my [insert burrowing species here]" etc..

People buy fossorial tarantulas, keep them properly by all accounts, and then complain that they never see them!

What do people expect these T's to do? Suddenly become arboreal and hang around posing on cork bark or something :? :)

"My tarantula's an obligate burrower, and I never see it!" - Congratulations. You should be happy. It means that the T is content with its conditions and that you are doing a fine job of looking after it.

You want a display animal, get a parrot!

[/rant over] :D

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"My tarantula's an obligate burrower, and I never see it!" - Congratulations. You should be happy. It means that the T is content with its conditions and that you are doing a fine job of looking after it."

My sentiments exactly! It irks me when someone asks " I want to see my T, (but this species is known to make large burrows,) so can I just use a couple of inches of substrate so it doesn't burrow?" These people don't really get it-- if you are going to keep any type of animal, you need to provide the best for it.....and with alot of T's--this means not seeing it the majority of the time!

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm this reminds me of getting a Lividium juvie, pet holes but when they do come out ...:)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not everyone is complaining about it. I will often let people know, especially new folks to the hobby, who are enamoured by species such as a H. lividum that they will rarely if ever see it. I have also stated in another thread that this one species that I will most likely not replace. For the record, there is a difference between complaining and simply informing people of what to really expect as well as indicating that after keeping such species they are not ones I would seek out again.

I will admit that I fell in love with the H. lividum based on pictures I saw when I was new to the hobby. It became an early addition to the wish list. I knew it was an obligate burrower and I knew folks said that you rarely see them. I still picked one up though. Well, after years of keeping it and seeing it so rarely, I have come to realize that this species, as well as others like it, or not something that I particularly enjoy keeping. Again, this is a statement of opinion, not a complaint. I hope you see the difference.

BTW, I have not seen my h. lividum out its burrow in a year and a half. I have occasionally seen the tips of her legs and a flash as she grabs a cricket, but that is it.

I do agree that it bothers me when people try to force obligate burrowers to remain visible and not provide the proper enclosure.

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Windchaser said:

Couldn't agree more, I appreciate the warning that a species is a "pet hole," as I would rather own something I'll at least see once in a while.

If someone is asking if its ok to provide an inadequate environment, of course the answer is "No," but don't treat those people too harshly as they are probably not aware how stressful it would be for a borrowing animal to be left in the open. Indeed, they deserve credit for asking to make sure it isn't a horrible thing to do.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree to some extent, however having a pet that you can see is almost
a no brainer. There are ways to set up "permanent burrows" using pvc or
gerbil tubing or whatever. There is also the option of useing red lights for
your "invisible Ts" if you can get it to work. I stayed up or got up during the
night to observe my Lividium, and found it loved to walk between 2 and 6 AM.
You know your T is coming out at night if the water dish you cleaned today
is filled with substrate the next morning.
Ts habits are fascinating, so dont blame keepers if they wish to observe them.
I found the wee hours work well for checking out my H. Maculata and I also found
a way to observe my secretive P. Pulcher.
I'll say this though if you know ahead of time that your T will dig a burrow
and disappear during daylight hours, what's the use of bitching about it, if you can't
figure out how and when to watch it, you need to do that or make other
arrangements for your T. (sell,give away, etc)

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i never see my a.seemani outside of its burrow but it nestled right against the glass so i can see it all the time. i simply put a hide with a small pre-dug divot in the ground perpendicular to the glass as to encourage burrowing in that exact spot and direction. voila. visible all the time, i was even able to watch it molt.

charlotte_05

Arachnopeon
For my a seemani, I got a pvc pipe and cut it in half lengthwise and set it up against the glass. She's been in there forever and I can see her all the time. And she's chosen it over burrowing in the substrate, as there is enough for her to so. But the pipe idea is the best thing ever for those 'pet holes'!

Fullstop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first rosie liked hiding most of the time, thankfully he dug right near the glass...

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is a good reason to get a variety. Raising tarantulas "Is Like A Box Of Chocolates!"

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like my Haplopelmas, I don't care if they burrow. The way I figure, they aren't real expensive, I have the space for them and gee what does it cost to feed them, less then 10 cents a week or so each? Fine, fine. I see them late at night, and that is a treat, they are really pretty. I don't complain.

Meribre

Arachnopeon
PhilR said:
Can someone explain something to me please?
People buy fossorial tarantulas, keep them properly by all accounts, and then complain that they never see them!
Hello,

I fully understand your point. Tarantulas have evolved since the past 300 million years and during this long period of time they managed to find the most ingenious way to survive, which means that if they don't move, nobody (neither enemies nor preys) takes notice of them. If a tarantula sits in its tank for hours without moving, then things appear to be all right. As a passionate tarantula keeper, I am indeed happy when this is the case. In contrast, if a tarantula (providing it's not a male) is running around relentlessly, then something does'nt seem to be all right (e.g. temperature, soil, humidity etc.).
Consequently, nobody has a reason to be troubled, when its tarantula is sitting still for a longer period of time.

Best regards,
Mario

Last edited:

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe it's just me, but I think the fact that you see them less often makes them more exciting, especially considering tarantulas aren't very active animals.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only have three obligate burrowers. The only downside to them is I never know if they are really eating or not. I feed dubia roaches so I like to know if they have been devoured or are roaming the tanks. But on the plus side, when I do get a chance to see them, its such a thrill. Usually thye only come above after a molt so I can see them in all their shiny new glory. :D

Natco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If people are really interested in seeing their obligate burrowers they should do something like what S. Schultz describes in his excellent book. It seems like it would work quite well. I have been fortunate enough to have every burrower I own make it’s home right up against the glass (aside for my Trap Door Spider) so as long as I keep dark paper over that portion of the glass I can still see them whenever I want. Except for my H. Lividium that is. She just won’t make a burrow at all. It’s been about six months, but I count myself blessed because I know my days are numbered. Eventually I am going to go down there and I will have another pet hole on my hands.