Pertaining my tarantula Boots (again) Urgent!

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Please read the entire thread. Nobody is really sure you did. {D
Okay, it's long but I did read through some it! So it does exist? I'm pretty sure from everything I did read that nobody is able to conclusively say that it does exist.

Oh, this thread haha. Okay, I'm on it.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
That too. Part of why I said you'd be looking at the palps to determine a MM avicularia ;)
Just sharing a trick to IDing a MM Avicularia with a crappy picture or video. Can I have my donuts now? :p

---------- Post added 09-10-2012 at 12:09 PM ----------

Okay, it's long but I did read through some it! So it does exist? I'm pretty sure from everything I did read that nobody is able to conclusively say that it does exist.
I was just pointing out you are posting things that have already been covered. Did you get the memo on the new cover sheet for the TPS reports?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Enlarged palps were actually the first thing I looked for in that video, but I never noticed them. And I'd it never molted in your care, then they sold you a slider that was on its way out. Call them up and ask about that. Go a bit farther, and take them the spider and ask about it. If they claim to be a knowledgeable store then they know what they did. I'd go complain.

---------- Post added 09-10-2012 at 12:18 PM ----------

Did you get the memo on the new cover sheet for the TPS reports?
Oh, and remember: next Friday... is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Hehe,

Yes Lumbergh, I got the memo. No, I really don't need another one.

This was my little H. mac sling showing twitchy symptoms not too long ago. It died within 24 hours of me noticing it. Looking back, the days leading up to this I guess I could say she was getting twitchier and twitchier. I just assumed she was becoming very stressed out with my flashlight so I cut it down. I went in for a closer look and this is what I found. I'm GUESSING impaction for many reasons I already went over in this thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?234916-What-s-wrong-with-my-H.-mac-!

[YOUTUBE]jnNd9iV7S3Q[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 09-10-2012 at 01:42 PM ----------

I'm not sure what the best form to euthanize is. Freezing may or may not be humane. It's slow and will take a bit to kill it. I've read good things with CO2 and I don't think it's hard to come by.

Last edited:

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't say im an inexperienced tarantula owner, but I would say im an inexperienced male tarantula owner :p but im headed home now to check up on him. Ill post again in a few to let you guys know the verdict. Also about bring wild caught - the owner of the told me that they get all their tarantulas from one breeder who breeds all his T's. But I guess if im not there to watch the breeders move, whose to say. I've never owned a mature male, not a sling or anything. Unless my guy Fonzie is a male, so far his little body isn't showing hooks or any of the male signs. Keep yall posted.

---------- Post added 09-10-2012 at 02:24 PM ----------

I just got home and flew to check on him. He seems more comfortable in ICU than in his cage, he's in a different corner now. I didn't want to scare him so I barely touched the ICU and he tapped a bit with his feet, nothing like the video. I wouldn't say he's getting better because I haven't seen him actually get to moving since I've been home yet. The age is something I'm keeping in mind though. By the way, I don't want to take him to the shop because that will definitely stress him out. I don't have a smooth riding car and I don't want to disturb him that much at all.

Last edited:

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ummmmm... Guys.. I went to go switch his ICU since he was looking pretty calm and I'm 80% sure he's molting in there.. he's on his back with his legs sticking straight up. Could this be dangerous for him in an ICU? I'm not about to bother him or anything but I do want to be ready for whatever happens. How do I switch him out if he does molt!? He'll be all soft and junk and what if it injures him?! This T is full of surprises..

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
If he is molting, being a mature male the chances of him surviving it aren't great. If he does, he will most likely be pretty mangled.

Shell

Staff member
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Why meeeeee
He's a mature male, and unfortunately they don't live that long after maturing (some species live longer than others after maturing but typically avicularia is not one of them). If you purchased him already mature (meaning he hasn't molted since you got him, so he was already mature) he could have already been close to the end of his life.

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After that quick molt looking thing he flipped back over and is just sitting there.

Shell

Staff member
After that quick molt looking thing he flipped back over and is just sitting there.
Is there any web in there with him by any chance? Sounds like a sperm web.

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, I think what happened was that he was having his spasm things and flipped over on accident, did the same thing yesterday upon entering his ICU.
Unfortunately guys, he just passed. Thanks for everyone trying to help out. I guess his old age just got to him, I feel like I'm out of tears. I'll be calling Randars Reptile's tomorrow to let them know that it was most likely old age, seeing that you guys pointed out his palps no longer had pink on them. I don't want them to think they gave me a sick tarantula.
The past few months with him were a blast. I remember the night I got him, I had the flap on his cage open to let the excess humidity out and a minute later I saw a huge shadow behind my computer screen. He had waltzed his way up onto the desk and crawled right into my hand.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They may not have sold you a sick tarantula, but it was a mature male. If they specialize in exotics and sold you a MM without telling you, then they either aren't that knowledgeable or pulled one over on you.

If you take a look at the palps, there is more to them than losing its "pink toes". They've developed embolus and that is the number one thing to look for when identifying a mature male tarantula.

Last edited:

lizardminion

Arachnolord
This is one of the saddest, yet intriguing, threads I have ever read. :cry:
My sympathy to you, sir. I know how it feels to lose an animal that means so much to you, no matter how under-appreciated it is. Be it spider, rat, or snake, they are our family and the unfortunate case in which they leave us is a very sorrowful event. When people do their best to recover a tarantula from the suffering the poor invertebrate goes through, and for it to end in a gloomy event makes even my eyes well up in tears. I hope you do better after this, and I even wish you good luck with your current and future animals, and encourage you to move forth with your passion.

Reading all the odd variations in ailments and illnesses in tarantulas is very, very interesting. Obviously, it's not all DKS. But maybe invertebrates can have as much health issues as vertebrates do- I simply don't see why not.