people told me not 2 usea heat mat.. well..look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had two friends that have caught their house on fire using a heat mat made for humans, one of them lost everything. They just are not ment to be on all the time. I hope this does not happen with you.

Last edited:

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, soon ill be able to just heat the air space. Cant do it where im living atm. And when i get a bigger tank(probly wont need 2 heat) but if i do it will eb much safer. But atm its

You live in an ATM? Whats the PIN #?

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, soon ill be able to just heat the air space. Cant do it where im living atm. And when i get a bigger tank(probly wont need 2 heat) but if i do it will eb much safer. But atm its

You live in an ATM? Whats the PIN #?
"ATM" is internet-speak for "at the moment". I play too many video games and I shouldn't know that but sadly, I do. {D

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Congratulations. If I put a vat of boiling oil in its cage, it will at some point fall into it. Must be good for it.

Thanks for the info. :clap:

-Sean

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Congratulations. If I put a vat of boiling oil in its cage, it will at some point fall into it. Must be good for it.

Thanks for the info. :clap:

-Sean
why would u put boiling oil... in the cage...(sarcasm i know) but like stop talking crap plz :) you have no idea what the heat mat is like. The only person i lesend 2 was truff anda couple others because they wernt complete a-holes. THe heat mat isint even on atm and im gonan be using it for my emporer scorpian soon. adn if u say not 2 use it, screw u :D cuz 60 is a lil 2 low for them lol

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
why would u put boiling oil... in the cage...(sarcasm i know) but like stop talking crap plz :) you have no idea what the heat mat is like. The only person i lesend 2 was truff anda couple others because they wernt complete a-holes. THe heat mat isint even on atm and im gonan be using it for my emporer scorpian soon. adn if u say not 2 use it, screw u :D cuz 60 is a lil 2 low for them lol
I've got news for you my friend, if you post sarcasm at people who've spent years trying to help people on this site, expect to get it back. I never said not to use it, in fact, we've posted many times on this site that its fine. Your logic for it being right because the T is on it, is dead wrong. That's why reptile rocks are so dangerous.

you have no idea what the heat mat is like.
Haha, you're right, I'm such an idiot. Whats a heat mat again?:rolleyes:

-Sean

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For the love of god, just use a different heat source. Use something designed for use with reptiles/Ts, not a heatmat designed for use by humans. As previously mentioned, even though it's barely warm to you, that's not necessarily the case for your Ts and Scorps. Again, as previously stated, your normal body temp is approximately 96-98 degrees. Considering that Ts rely on ambient sources for their body temp, you cannot gauge what is hot for them by what is hot for you. Again, if you insist on heating your Ts and scorps, don't use a heat mat. And if you insist on using a heatmat, don't make posts on here knowing full well that what you say will be inflammatory. It's incredibly arrogant to ignore the advice (that you asked for at one point) from so many different sources that have TONS of experience. At this point I'm now making a choice to no longer respond to any of your posts after this one. You asked, we answered, you ignored, you instigated, and eventually you'll see what we're talking about. I'm not going to waste any more of my time on you.

Oh and caco, I love the link.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Crazy0monkey,

There are a lot of people here with a lot of experience. One of the benefits of experience is that they have... EXPERIENCED things.

We all know EXACTLY what a heat mat is. We all know EXACTLY what they are for, and we all know EXACTLY what 60 F is like. There are reports where precisely the phenomenon we are describing occured. Your tarantula is not nearly as clever as you give it credit for (while also not being completely stupid).

Seriously, we've given you advice. You can, of course, choose to ignore it. It's all up to you. Frankly, I don't care... I'm not 'unchilled' so don't need a chill pill... you're the only person here who has been using cuss words.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
.lol w.e guys. I already lestend 2 a few people on here, Id never lestin 2 most of you thoe. Thnx for being cool truf, Ur a good guy unlike most of the people

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're right. We are a bunch of A-holes for trying again and again to help you understand what seems to me like a pretty simple concept. Since you obviously know better than the people here, some of whom are literally among the most knowledgeable in the world on such matters, you won't be offended when nobody bothers to answer your next question.

This is not a celebrity gossip or WoW forum. We aren't here to argue with each other and one up each other. This forum is for the exchange of information and general upliftment of this hobby we all enjoy. If you really have questions and will LISTEN to the answers this place will be very helpful to you. If you just want to argue and disagree with what these people have to say then i don't think you'll make many friends here.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
.lol w.e guys. I already lestend 2 a few people on here, Id never lestin 2 most of you thoe. Thnx for being cool truf, Ur a good guy unlike most of the people
Girl...;)
But don't give me credit, everyone else gave the same advice I gave. And for what it's worth, 99.99% of us are good people (the ones that aren't generally get themselves banned sooner or later). So on behalf of AB, you're welcome. :)

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You're right. We are a bunch of A-holes for trying again and again to help you understand what seems to me like a pretty simple concept. Since you obviously know better than the people here, some of whom are literally among the most knowledgeable in the world on such matters, you won't be offended when nobody bothers to answer your next question.

This is not a celebrity gossip or WoW forum. We aren't here to argue with each other and one up each other. This forum is for the exchange of information and general upliftment of this hobby we all enjoy. If you really have questions and will LISTEN to the answers this place will be very helpful to you. If you just want to argue and disagree with what these people have to say then i don't think you'll make many friends here.
Frankly i couldent care if i made friends here and dont start with the hole "you think ur the smartest person int eh world BS" Ur acting like a child. Like i have said in my past few posts i have lestined to a few people on here who didint use bs sarcasm and im nto using the heat mat. But if u where 2 use ur head and not look to start fights on the frkn internet then we would be fine. The topic is over. Dont post again. its overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. IF u post again you are just instigating me further into replied to ur comments. I know what this forum is and what its used for. And frankly i couldent care what you(not everyone just the one guy im quoteing) has 2 say. Most people on this forum are super nice iv had long convos with many people that have had t's for a long time and are nice on the way they respawnd . I am not perfect like anyone here. the mat was jsut there 2 see what the t would do and it seemd to like it. Thats all im saying. But w.e this convo is long over. I would like it locked if possible

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Girl...;)
But don't give me credit, everyone else gave the same advice I gave. And for what it's worth, 99.99% of us are good people (the ones that aren't generally get themselves banned sooner or later). So on behalf of AB, you're welcome. :)
lol sorry truff (just randomly thought guy idk why lol) But i know other peopel gave the same info u just said it alot nicer ^^ lol. o.o bell rang in school cya latz.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Allright everyone, lets just end it here. I sent him a PM, hopefully its all good. We've made our point, just let it go.

-Sean

Thrasher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if someone advices you, you listen, you don't need to take their advice, but you don't fight against it. I don't see the point about this post, you don't need to post this to prove that your right, your spiders might like the heat mat it seems, but again, my dog LOVES chololates. But that doesn't mean I feed them to my dog.

Peace

alright i wont use it >.> BUT IF IT DIED SOMEHOW MAGICALY FROM COLD u gota run across the border and gimi a new one :) lol

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It will burrow down, right towards the heat, to escape it. This suggests to me that they aren't very good at determining temperature.
Actually, what it suggests is that most of their behaviors are pre-programmed and aren't very easily altered, even when it's senses are telling the animal that the heat is going up as it's going down.

This demonstrates the tarantula is not self-aware in the way the OP is suggesting.

alright i wont use it >.> BUT IF IT DIED SOMEHOW MAGICALY FROM COLD u gota run across the border and gimi a new one :) lol
Last night, around 1 AM the temp monitoring system I set up clocked my room temps at about 45*F. I still have a tarantula collection. This alone should tell you that additional heating is not neccessary.

adn if u say not 2 use it, screw u :D cuz 60 is a lil 2 low for them lol
First off, you obviously have no idea what the captive requirements for Ts are. You have decided on a lower temperature cap not through experimentation, experience or research but through your own perception. You are making unfounded assertions, gloating about those assertions and then defending them...by assertion.

Quite a few of us here on the boards lower the temps of our houses to well under 50* in the wintertime. I am one of them.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I could let my tarantulas live in my roach colony. I'm not going to because they'd most likely be eaten within half a day.

We all know EXACTLY what a heat mat is. We all know EXACTLY what they are for, and we all know EXACTLY what 60 F is like.
We also know that human heat pads come complete with warnings about them being fire hazards.

We also know that heat pads when improperly used can (and will) oxidize and denature the polymers in plastic, making them brittle to the point where they break apart on their own.

I also know I have a blue and brown spot on my carpet that I now have to hide from my landlords under a roach colony from using a heat mat on plastic.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=83390&highlight=Heat+pad

In the thread you originally posted, someone who's been keeping inverts for at least 15 years gave you advice which you also ignored.

Truff is 23. I doubt she's been keeping and breeding tarantulas for a decade and a half (no offense, dearie).

You want to know why people are rude?

It's people with your mindset. You have proven you have no experience, no knowledge and have done no research at all and yet you still feel the need to gloat about your idiocy because you *think* you've accomplished something important, when everyone reading this thread knows to the contrary.

Why? Because we've done the work you've ignored.

Done. There is no point in giving advice to people like Crazy0Monkey, and I would encourage everyone else in this thread to do the same to anyone else who acts like this because posts like this are going to become far more commonplace than they already are.

Just look at his posts. He's done something which is demonstratably a bad idea, and he's starting fights with anyone else who tells him that. He's going to do what he wants, with possible consequences for his pets and he'll be damned if anyone with 20+ years more experience than him (as well as proper grammar/punctuation/spelling skills) tells him otherwise.

The guy's a troll. Just let it go.

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am sorry but do you think it would be possible to spell Listen properly? I really don't know what a lestend is ?
And yeah Truff is cool. not sure about guy tho, looks pretty girlie to me ROTFLOL

Status
Not open for further replies.