Peer Reviewing a List of Tarantulas

Tessa Clifton

Arachnosquire
So I posted a while ago that I created a list of all of the tarantulas currently in the U.S hobby and you guys were so helpful with helping me round it out and make sure that I have everything covered. So I revisited my list and tried to add links to photos of each tarantula species and links to each website where they can be purchased. Some of them I couldn't find places to purchase them. Something else you need to know is that I like to capitalize the scientific names of the tarantulas in my spreadsheets even though I know it's technically wrong. Also, I haven't changed the brachypelma's to tliltocatl's yet just so you know. So if you guys find places where the species I couldn't find can be purchased, or if I missed any species etc. Any help to make sure this is as acurate as possible would be appreciated.

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Acanthoscurria brocklehursti don't exist (hobby brocklehursti are geniculata and the real brocklehursti is now theraphosoides).
All Ami species are now Neischnocolus.
The Avicularia species aren't listed under the correct morphotypes.
You missed out Chilobrachys fumosus (sold as Chilobrachys sp. "Black Satan").
Cyclosternum fasciatum are now Davus fasciatus but it's irrelevant as they've never been available in the hobby (anything sold under that name is D. pentaloris).
A lot of the Cyriopagopus spp. in the list have been changed.
Holothele sanguiniceps is now Holothele longipes.
Lampropelma sp. "Borneo Black" is the old name for Lampropelma nigerrimum arboricola which is now Phormingochilus arboricola.
You've listed P. scrofa under both Paraphysa and Phrixotrichus.
You've listed Poecilotheria species that aren't available in the hobby (P. rajaei aren't for sure, I've never even heard of P. chaojii or P. uniformis).
Scopelobates sericeus have never been available in the hobby (the species sold under this name is an as-yet unidentified Holothele species).
Pseudoclamoris gigas is also listed under its old name (Tapinauchenius gigas).
You missed out Ybyrapora gamba.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
New Worlds
Aphonopelma sp. chapala - I was recently given a freebie that was listed as this. I could find very little info on this species but what I could find suggested they very similar to A. chalcodes so they may be the same thing.

Under Brachypelma (now Tliltocatl) you missed Tliltocatl epicureanum, Tliltocatl schroederi, and Tliltocatl vagans, plus you only had Tliltocatl albopilosum listed as Honduran - Nicuraguan are available as well.

You missed the genus Sericopelma - I have a Sericopelma rubronitens and I know other species are available, can't remember them off the top of my head.

Thrixopelma lagunas.

Old Worlds
Coremiocnemis hoggi
Cyriopagopus hainanus
Harpactira cafreriana
Harpactira namaquensis

Neochilobrachys sp. thailand - I'll give you a pass on this one. very obscure species which I received as freebie in 2018, have never seen them offered since.

I just went off my own list so I don't know if this is complete.

Last edited:

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Not sure if the name changed but I have the following that I don't see on there:
Aphonopelma burica
Aphonopelma superstitionense
Euathlus genus is missing completely
Pamphobeteus sp. machala just has one "l"
Plesiopelma sp bolivia

And the capitalization of the binomials is all wrong.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Some species of the Crassicrus genus is not on the list such as Crassicrus sp. Guerrero, one of my favorite terrestrial T.'s in the hobby.

Haplopelma's and some other genus' on this list tend to have different color forms and regions, so some of them on your list need an update so it doesn't cause confusion or any possible breeding errors if someone looks at the list.

Missing T.'s On This list That Is In This Hobby
Aphonopelma johnnycashi
Aphonopelma peloncillo
Aphonopelma steindachneri
Augacephalus junodi
Augacephalus breyeri
Crassicrus sp. "Guerrero"
Crassicrus lamanai
Haplopelma sp. "Lam Dong"
Haplopelma hainum
Haplopelma Schmidti has forms In this Hobby (don't know why people just label them as "one" kind).
Haplopelma schmidti "DCF"
Haplopelma schmidti "son la"
Haplopelma schmidti "Ke Bang"
Haplopelma doriae
Harpactira hamiltoni
Monocentropus lambertoni
Ornithoctoninae sp. laos "Prison Des Abeilles"
Ornithoctoninae sp. "Ho Chi Minh" DCF
Pachistopelma rufonigrum
Pamphobeteus ornatus
Phlogiellus sp. Namtok Phlio
Pterinochilus murinus Forms/Variants/Regions That I know are In The Hobby (probably forgot a few)
Pterinochilus murinus "DCF" "Zimbabwe"
Pterinochilus murinus "RCF"
Pterinochilus murinus "DCF" "Mikumi"
Pterinochilus murinus "DCF" "Kenya"
Pterinochilus murinus "BCF" "Tete"
Pterinochilus murinus "TCF" "Mozambique"
Psednocnemis jeremyhuffi
Selecosmia sp. obscura
Selenocosmia crassipes
Sphaerobothria hoffmani

There is a lot I can add but this is all I can put in my head at the moment...

Here are some other errors or nitpicks that really need to be updated or change
Poecilotheria chaoji is a synonym for Poecilotheria triginawesseli. So P. chaoji isn't really another species and it can be removed...
Poecilotheria uniformis is a synonym for Poecilotheria subfusca. So it can be removed...
Haplopelma minax and Haplopelma vonwirthi is now Cyriopagopus minax and Cyriopagopus vonwirthi in the hobby in the Cyriopagopus genus.
You have Ornithoctonus aureotibialis as Ornighoctonus Aureotibialis, so spelling error.
Many species have different color forms/regions/morphs so some need to be added or changed like the Haplopelma schmidti region/color forms and the Pterinochilus murinus forms added.

Last edited:

Tessa Clifton

Arachnosquire
thank you so much guys! You have been so helpful! I've been busy with some schoolwork, but i'll make some changes and upload a new and improved version. Thanks again!

boina

Lady of the mites
Acanthoscurria brocklehursti don't exist (hobby brocklehursti are geniculata and the real brocklehursti is now theraphosoides).
All Ami species are now Neischnocolus.
The Avicularia species aren't listed under the correct morphotypes.
You missed out Chilobrachys fumosus (sold as Chilobrachys sp. "Black Satan").
Cyclosternum fasciatum are now Davus fasciatus but it's irrelevant as they've never been available in the hobby (anything sold under that name is D. pentaloris).
A lot of the Cyriopagopus spp. in the list have been changed.
Holothele sanguiniceps is now Holothele longipes.
Lampropelma sp. "Borneo Black" is the old name for Lampropelma nigerrimum arboricola which is now Phormingochilus arboricola.
You've listed P. scrofa under both Paraphysa and Phrixotrichus.
You've listed Poecilotheria species that aren't available in the hobby (P. rajaei aren't for sure, I've never even heard of P. chaojii or P. uniformis).
Scopelobates sericeus have never been available in the hobby (the species sold under this name is an as-yet unidentified Holothele species).
Pseudoclamoris gigas is also listed under its old name (Tapinauchenius gigas).
You missed out Ybyrapora gamba.
Wait, does that mean L. nigerrimum is now Phormingochilus, too??