Pede eggs,what to do & what not to do

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Can someone guide me to a right area to read up on pedelings. I have a pede right now with eggs and do not know anything on what to do when they hatch. I have gone through 19 pages on the forums and have not come up with anything.

How long before they hatch at these conditions: 82 degress 60 % humidity

Species: supposed (Scolopendra cingulata) can be seen in my post below this one.

When they hatch do they seperate or stay with mom?

When can I feed them?

Etc. Etc.

Thanks in advance!

ChrisNCT

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Chris,

As Steven hinted at in the other thread, thepede you had labelled as Scolopendra cingulata is probably actually Scolopendra morsitans (and the other one is Ethmostigmus trigonopodus).

As for your questions, the best thing to do now is leave the mother alone as they are prone to eating the eggs when disturbed. The eggs take about a month to hatch out, and then another month after that to leave the mother. After they leave the mother, round them up and house them individually. Feed them much as you would for slings, on small prekilled pieces of cricket/mealworm etc. Really try and resist the tempation to check on her, the best thing to do is place the container on a high shelf and forget about it for 6 weeks. Only then check to see if all has gone well.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes.

centiMike

Arachnopeon
danread said:
Hi Chris,

As Steven hinted at in the other thread, thepede you had labelled as Scolopendra cingulata is probably actually Scolopendra morsitans (and the other one is Ethmostigmus trigonopodus).

As for your questions, the best thing to do now is leave the mother alone as they are prone to eating the eggs when disturbed. The eggs take about a month to hatch out, and then another month after that to leave the mother. After they leave the mother, round them up and house them individually. Feed them much as you would for slings, on small prekilled pieces of cricket/mealworm etc. Really try and resist the tempation to check on her, the best thing to do is place the container on a high shelf and forget about it for 6 weeks. Only then check to see if all has gone well.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes.
Hi Danread,

So during the 2 months period to hatch and leave its mom, can I feed anything to the mom pede ? Or can I just throw food into its housing for it to pick up ? I used to spray mist of water into its housing, can I also
do that ?

I was wondering whether is it that the several weeks without any food
maybe the reason that it eats up its own egg ? Any advice is very much appreaciated.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
as one last disturbance, i would shroud the whole container in thick black paper, so the centipede thinks it is burrowed.

i think being burrowed makes a world of difference, even though some ppl here seem to want to take a different view.

all i can say is that the one time i hatched out eggs, i fed the cent every other week or so... and checked it EVERY DAY, usually twice... AND had a recording studio operating at wayway over 100db underneath me... but the cent (an S. polymorpha) was burrowed so i still got babies out of her :)

centiMike

Arachnopeon
cacoseraph said:
as one last disturbance, i would shroud the whole container in thick black paper, so the centipede thinks it is burrowed.

i think being burrowed makes a world of difference, even though some ppl here seem to want to take a different view.
Brilliant idea ! :worship: But any hindrance to the ventilation layout ? Cos I drill tiny hole at all four sides of the container walls

all i can say is that the one time i hatched out eggs, i fed the cent every other week or so... and checked it EVERY DAY, usually twice... AND had a recording studio operating at wayway over 100db underneath me... but the cent (an S. polymorpha) was burrowed so i still got babies out of her :)
Sorry but I am confused here :confused: on "that time you hatched out eggs". Is it that while your cents is still holding on to the eggs and you still
continue to feed it ? And checked it and so on... ? And Ohhhh ! You even record it :eek: ? Can share your video ? :D

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
centiMike said:
So during the 2 months period to hatch and leave its mom, can I feed anything to the mom pede ? Or can I just throw food into its housing for it to pick up ? I used to spray mist of water into its housing, can I also
do that ?
I personally wouldn't feed the mother, although i know Steven and cacoseraph have successfully done this in the past. Supplying water is a good idea, but try and do this with as little disturbance as possible, maybe fill the water bowl up once at the beginning and leave it after that. Since pede in the wild probably lay their eggs in a selaed up burrow, i think it is quite natural to go without food and water for a month or two. As cacoseraph said, if the pede has laid it's eggs in the open and not in a sealed burrow, it might be a good idea to cover the entire enclosure with a dark cloth to reduce the disturbance.

Cheers,

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
centiMike said:
Brilliant idea ! :worship: But any hindrance to the ventilation layout ? Cos I drill tiny hole at all four sides of the container walls

Sorry but I am confused here :confused: on "that time you hatched out eggs". Is it that while your cents is still holding on to the eggs and you still
continue to feed it ? And checked it and so on... ? And Ohhhh ! You even record it :eek: ? Can share your video ? :D
ah, let me clarify some stuff

i've only had one wild caught centipede drop eggs that i was aware of. and it was not even my centipede, but belonged to my brother.

"hatched out eggs" means that the eggs hatched into baby centipedes. any time i talk about my baby centipedes, it is about this one time. i fed and watered the centipede while she had the eggs and white "larva" babies.

i think centipedes with eggs should have low ventilation, so the conditions are as similar to a sealed burrow as possible. i think the eggs can dry out easily. if the eggs dry out i think the mom eats them.

my room mate has an audio recording studio beneath my bedroom. i just meant to say that my house is VERY loud, but since the centipede was burrowed it did not eat the eggs. i did not make a video :(

sorry, it is sort of early in the morning and i have a head ache :wall:

centiMike

Arachnopeon
:worship: :worship: Thanks to both Danread and cacoseraph. Your
points mentioned make very much sense to me. :)

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey caco when u go hunting out here in rialto, how big are the tigers you usually catch? do you find any fully grown what are the lengths?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Well ........ :(

She must have eaten them....shes out and about in her enclosure.