peat moss?

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm using peat moss in my tanks for the first time. Do I need to mix it all through my substrate or just on the topsoil? Any other advice would be helpful too.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use 100% peat moss some ppl do 50/50 with organic potting soil or vermiculite so it will be ok if u just wanted to use peat moss.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I use 100% peat for my T's. They seem to love it and I havn't had a y problems with it. :D

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i was using a 50/50 peat moss and soil...i am now using only peat moss, and T's are doing fine!!

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was thinking about using my existing combo of Eco-earth coconut shells and jungle earth wood chips, just adding the peat moss for extra humidity. I just need to know if I need to change my substrate to add the moss into the mix or if I should just put it on top of my existing substrate?

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use bed a beast and eco earth mixed with vermiculite.

peat moss is ok, but i like the coconut fibre better

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The coconut shell isn't giving me consistant humidity, somebody told me that the peat moss would help with that.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
They wya I see it is that Eco-Earth stuff is expensive and if you kepeing more than dozen T's peat moss is a better way to go. YOu can get by the bale for like $15. :D

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What T's are you needing in high humidity? Do a search on humidity, most tarantulas that "require" high humidity don't really need more than 40% to 50% to thrive. A water dish should be fine with (most) no misting, no watching humidity levels, just a water dish. What is the humidity in your house? I, like most people here would just hate for you to "fix" something(spend more money)than you really need to. Good luck.

Matt

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you're not wanting to change out the substrate, just add it to the top. But as arachnojunkie said, you don't need 90% for the Ts to be comfortable. True, some of them have this in the areas that they're from, but it isn't necessary. Just a water dish is fine.

hairymary

Arachnopeon
really confused

Now I'm really confused. I'm very new to keeping spiders, and I was informed by the person I obtained her from that the peat needed to be kept a little moist and as long as their is condensation on my enclosure the humidity is fine. My peat is so damp in places that it's actually commenced growing. Am I to understand that this is incorrect?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
juggalo69 said:
I'm using peat moss in my tanks for the first time. Do I need to mix it all through my substrate or just on the topsoil? Any other advice would be helpful too.
what type of t do you have? does it borrow?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hairymary said:
Now I'm really confused. I'm very new to keeping spiders, and I was informed by the person I obtained her from that the peat needed to be kept a little moist and as long as their is condensation on my enclosure the humidity is fine. My peat is so damp in places that it's actually commenced growing. Am I to understand that this is incorrect?
Yes this is incorrect. No t that i know off need it that damp. What kind of spider do you have?

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hairymary said:
>>If you have condensation you probably don't have enough ventilation.Ventilation is much more critical than humidity.Up the ventilation and if that doesn't help you've got it just too wet in there.Although it's fine to keep the substrate completely dry(make sure there's access to water at all times though ie:waterdish,periodic mistings for spiders too small for waterdish) some like to keep the substrate moist,especially with young slings.There's a big difference in keeping the substrate moist and having it wet.By the sounds of it when you say it's growing you've got it too wet and in fact it's not your peat that's growing but rather molds/fungis.It will also sooner or later lay the welcome mat out to unwanted pests like mites and phorid flies.That's not good.Moist is when your peat/substrate(wet) will make a ball when compressed but will "easily" fall apart when touched.Too wet is when it stays in a ball and doesn't fall apart easily when touched and excess water comes out when squeezed.It takes a bit of practice to find the line between wet and moist but can be reached with time/practice.Some such as myself do a wet/dry thing.Sort of like keeping a plant.Water the substrate then let it go dry before watering/moistening again.When you do water it again though make sure not to overly wet/saturate the substrate but just to the point of "moistened".Again that takes time and practice to find the right level.When in doubt though it's best to keep things on the drier side with adequate ventilation,supplying needed moisture through periodic mistings or waterdish.Your spider's chances of survival are much better with less humidity/drier conditions,adequate ventilation than things just too wet with poor ventilation.Be careful not to go too dry either with small/young spiders as small slings can dessicate easily through drought like conditions.Larger more mature spiders can tolerate a wider range of conditions.You'll just have to practice finding just the right conditions for your spiders needs.Temps will play a factor also.Cooler temps(room temps) will allow for less moisture needs for your spiders than higher temps will call for.Try to keep your temps moderate and enclosure conditions on the "slightly moist" to dry side,adequate ventilation and your spiders should be fine.

Last edited:

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive found 100% peat moss to be more than adequate.i hate that coconut crap though , i found it can promote mold.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ithuriel said:
ive found 100% peat moss to be more than adequate.i hate that coconut crap though , i found it can promote mold.
I thought that it may promote mold.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Peat moss...

I have been using Bed-a-beast Peat bricks for 5 years now and never had any problems with it. Of course if you spray it down and restrict ventilation it will become to wet and soggy, thus inducing mold and such.
More ventilation will help keep the peat drier.
Slobs like avics and Lasiodora need their enclosure dumped out and cleaned more often than others, but the peat has proven to be the best choice of substrate for me and all of my 56 T's.

hairymary

Arachnopeon
species

cichlidsman said:
Yes this is incorrect. No t that i know off need it that damp. What kind of spider do you have?
Thanks for the feedback. I'm now fairly convinced that I have way too much moisture in my enclosure.

I'm fairly sure that I have a Selenotypus plumipes (whistling tarantula). Although, I've just recently discovered that most ts supplied under this species are usually incorrectly named

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Greg Wolfe said:
I have been using Bed-a-beast Peat bricks for 5 years now and never had any problems with it. all of my 56 T's.
That bed-a-beast stuff is quite expensive. For 56 T's your probably in debt J/K ;) :D