Peacock spiders (maratus sp)

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Anyone know anything about these little guys? Or seen them in the hobby? I'll admit I had no interest in true spiders and haven't been paying attention to anything pertaining to them, but these little guys are intriguing.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
They're Australian, so I'd say probably not. Try the true spider forum and see if those guys know.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah they are so lovely but i wouldn't keep one in captivity... don't know why but i have the (clueless, a "brain" sensation of mines given by their size) feeling they are delicate.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Ive always wanted one so the day these guys are sold as pets I'm buying 10 no matter what the prices are. Also there are several species of them out there and I believe that the largest Sp. are still smaller then a half inch!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, there's no way I'd be able to keep this thing alive! Very, very interesting spider. And who knows what that display looks like to the female - certainly they have a completely different visible wavelength than humans, and they can feel every step the male makes. Must be an impressive sight to her, indeed.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I saw a video from some university. They spread pantyhose over a frame and read and recorded the acoustic vibrations from the dance and tapping. Quite fascinating

louise f

Arachnoangel
Anyone know anything about these little guys? Or seen them in the hobby? I'll admit I had no interest in true spiders and haven't been paying attention to anything pertaining to them, but these little guys are intriguing.
I know that i would def love to have some of those, but that`s likely never gonna happen. :banghead:
I mean come on just look at this vid, sooo darn cute <3<3:astonished:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
These most likely won't ever enter the hobby. For one, they are Australian, Australia is pretty strict on keeping their animals in their country. Number two, these are incredibly tiny spiders. The adults MAY feed on fruit flies but what would you feed the slings, new born springtails??

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
These most likely won't ever enter the hobby. For one, they are Australian, Australia is pretty strict on keeping their animals in their country. Number two, these are incredibly tiny spiders. The adults MAY feed on fruit flies but what would you feed the slings, new born springtails??
Yeah know knows, but they certainly are exquisite spiders, very unique

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Nope. Nobody I know of keeps these. The males are pretty short lived, or at least they're short lived as adults. So you won't get those beautiful colours for long. The females just look like any old jumping spider (still they're pretty adorable)

Miagic Mike

Arachnopeon
I have some of these guys for pet <edit> i feed my babies spring tailes. here is a photo of one of mine.

Fixed 1a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: