parthenogenesis???

tfleming

Arachnopeon
I was wonder if anyone knew if with the Hottentotta Hottentotta the offspring were all female and if they were all identical? Just curious!!!

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok I am a little confused with this post, sorry. Are you asking if the Hottentotta Hottentotta is capable of parthenogenesis, or are you asking if all the offspring are born female and are all identical at birth? All the offspring when they are born look the same, because there is not very much variation among individuals. Personality whys no they are not all the same. Each one will be different in personality, like some may be a little more dosile then others, where as some may get in a deffencive stance as soon as you open the enclosure.

snippy

Arachnobaron
Yes, H. hottentotta is parthenogenetic and as far as I am aware, there are no populations, that reproduce sexually.
The offspring of the sort of parthenogenesis that appears in scorpions is always female, like the mother - but I suspect that there could be rare cases of a male specimen appearing.

Regards
Finn

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, H. hottentotta is parthenogenetic and as far as I am aware, there are no populations, that reproduce sexually.
The offspring of the sort of parthenogenesis that appears in scorpions is always female, like the mother - but I suspect that there could be rare cases of a male specimen appearing.

Regards
Finn
@Finn,

Isn't there something similar with Tityus serrulatus and Tityus stigmurus, or are all populations supposed to be composed of all females?

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are reports of some wild populations that do produce sexually in H hottentotta and I believe the Tityus species as well. In the hobby however I would assume all are females.

snippy

Arachnobaron
Yes, you are right, sexual populations are known for some of the parthenogenetic Tityus species (like T. serrulatus and T. columbianus), but I don't believe for all of them. Where did you get the information about sexually reproducing populations of H. hottentotta?
A quick addition to my comment on the all female broods: I have just reread a paper and it stated that in the late 90's the first case of parthenogenesis with all male offspring has been recorded in case of scorpions (for Tityus metuendus). But again, all female offspring are the largely predominant case.

Regards
Finn

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

In Mali, a sexual population of H.hottentotta has been found, Finn. There have been several publications since 2007 on this subject. The all male brood in T.metuendus has been reported by Lourenco, but other authors had doubts on this publication.
This subject has been debated before, so there must be list somewhere here on parthenogenetic species.
I don't have the time to make a list.
Cheers, Michiel

tfleming

Arachnopeon
I'm sure this list in not complete, but here are some I found.
Ananteris coineaui, Centruroides gracilis, Hottentotta hottentotta, Liocheles australasiae, Tityus columbianus, Tityus metuendus, Tityus serrulatus, Tityus stigmururs, Tityus trivittatus, Tityus uruguayensis.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
LOURENÇO, W. R. 2002. Reproduction in scorpions, with special reference to parthenogenesis. European Arachnology 2000 (S. Toft & N. Scharff eds.): 71-85.
LOURENÇO, W. R. 2008. Parthenogenesis in scorpions: Some histroy - new date. Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins inculding Tropical Diseases, 14(1): 19-44.

in this two papers you see the actual situation...

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm sure this list in not complete, but here are some I found.
Ananteris coineaui, Centruroides gracilis, Hottentotta hottentotta, Liocheles australasiae, Tityus columbianus, Tityus metuendus, Tityus serrulatus, Tityus stigmururs, Tityus trivittatus, Tityus uruguayensis.
In this list, the species A.coineaui and T.metuendus are doubtfull, meaning that no "irrefutable evidence" has been provided yet.

In this list are missing: Tityus confluens, Tityus neblina.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
In this list, the species A.coineaui and T.metuendus are doubtfull, meaning that no "irrefutable evidence" has been provided yet.

In this list are missing: Tityus confluens, Tityus neblina.
T.confluens is still not published now ;)

and for T.neblina also male-female broods are investigated, as well as all female broods.

LOURENÇO, W. R. & J. L. CLOUDSLEY-THOMPSON. 2010. The life cycle of Tityus (Atreus) neblina Lourenço, 2008 (Scorpioes, Buthidae) in ‘Cerro de la Neblina’, Brazil/Venezuela. Boletín de la Sociedad Entomológica Aragonesa, 47: 293-298.

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Whilst we're on the topic of parthenogenesis, can anybody confirm whether Hottentotta judaicus are known to be parthenogenic?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no one can confirm that, since they are not :)

---------- Post added 12-16-2011 at 02:41 PM ----------

T.confluens is still not published now ;)

and for T.neblina also male-female broods are investigated, as well as all female broods.

LOURENÇO, W. R. & J. L. CLOUDSLEY-THOMPSON. 2010. The life cycle of Tityus (Atreus) neblina Lourenço, 2008 (Scorpioes, Buthidae) in ‘Cerro de la Neblina’, Brazil/Venezuela. Boletín de la Sociedad Entomológica Aragonesa, 47: 293-298.
I was talking from my own experience, Michael! :) I could also have referred to a certain arachnologist and state: in press, but for reasons you'll understand, I didn't :) I think my word equals "irrefutable evidence" don't you think? And yes, T.neblina also reproduces sexually....A very interesting paper by the way...
We should talk about this some more......

Last edited:

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for the randomness of this question but I have C. Gracilis and now I am interested in this whole parthenogenesis thing. What exactly does this mean other then an unfertalised egg developes? I looked the deffinition up in a dictionary, and I personally was a little confused by it. When somthing is capable of parthenogenesis, does this mean it is capable of reproduceing both sexually and a-sexually, and is it considered a-sexual reproduction if an unfertalized egg developes or not even close because a-sexual reprodution occurs when an egg is produced and fertilised by the same parent? Also does this mean that a female C. Gracilis that has never seen a male in her entire life will become gravid just because her unfertilized eggs develop? Sorry again for the randomness, but I am really interested in this now because of how amazing this concept is!