Paraphrynus carolynae sac

aphono

Arachnobaron
Wow congrats!! Are they recent WC or been under your care for a while- in that case what were the conditions? I have this species(WC) also and hope to eventually breed.

woodie

Arachnosquire
In my care about 10 months.
will post a pic of enclosure.
the room doesn't get special heat or anything. runs as low as 60F in winter to 90F in summer.
Kept in plastic jars with cork slants with side ventilation holes only. Long fiber sphagnum kept wet always. These are actually on a led lit shelf as well, Thus the sphagnum is alive now

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
What conditions did you provide to get them to mate? I heard that paraphrynus need certain environmental cues to initiate breeding

woodie

Arachnosquire
No special conditions other than what I listed above. Since room they are kept in does get a bit colder in winter and warmer in summer.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I wonder if it's that winter drop in temperature. Humidity is constantly high, right?

Very impressive--good luck!

woodie

Arachnosquire
I wonder if it's that winter drop in temperature. Humidity is constantly high, right?

Very impressive--good luck!
Yeah, Wonder if that could be it since is probably the biggest environmental change. Humidity stays pretty consistently high.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Those are great enclosures and appreciate the pictures. Surprised at the carolynae kept that humid and doing well. The four here seem to greatly dislike whenever their enclosures get misted. They will spend a day or two trying to get as far away as they can from the misted areas. So most of the time they're kept on the dry side with a filled water dish.

I've wondered if they needed seasonal cues to breed.. kind of seems possible yours got the seasonal cues via temperature differences.

Mine just fight whenever they're put together so I don't know if they're of the same sex(is there a way to sex them?) or they're not in breeding condition due to lack of the right stimulus. I've been occasionally tempted to experiment with putting them in another area with more variable swings in temperature- the invert room is extremely stable. Your success is encouraging me to try this.

woodie

Arachnosquire
I don't know your area, But maybe try a room with a greater seasonal temperature swing. I don't mist their enclosures, I use pure Long fiber sphagnum that is kept wet for substrate. They never go on enclosure walls just the cork flats. You can see the LFS has become living since the shelf has led lighting. The Damon are on an unlit shelf but still have some Scidnapsis growing in each enclosure

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Apparently paraphrynus need some sort of cue to initiate mating, althpugh I’d imagine the wet/dry seasons would be the ones in particular for carolynae

aphono

Arachnobaron
I don't know your area, But maybe try a room with a greater seasonal temperature swing. I don't mist their enclosures, I use pure Long fiber sphagnum that is kept wet for substrate. They never go on enclosure walls just the cork flats. You can see the LFS has become living since the shelf has led lighting. The Damon are on an unlit shelf but still have some Scidnapsis growing in each enclosure

Man, I would love a few planted enclosures. But not into the lighting stuff.. maybe just not yet? I'll be sure to talk to you if I ever think about it.

Thanks to you, I've decided to try moving the carolynae to somewhere with seasonal swings. By the way, had any experience with operculatus? I have a supposed pair- haven't tried pairing yet as I'm not sure if the male is mature enough yet. Wondering if they also need seasonal cues or not?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Congratulations! That's awesome; sure hope everything hatches out successfully for you.

I don't know your area
The irony here is you are both apart of the same invertebrate club. Really need to make that spreadsheet with all members and their usernames listed...

Thanks,

Arthroverts