Paralyzed Wolf Spider Help!!

Hazel42

Arachnopeon
Hi all!

I live in Ecuador and have a paralyzed wolf spider I “accidentally” rescued from a tarantula hawk (it’s a long story). We’ve had him in a jar since June 28th, we give him water drops every night and he’s still alive, but I’m worried about him going without food for so long (he’s not the biggest wolf spider by Ecuadorian standards at least, and I’m surprised he’s still alive actually). If I blow lightly on him he reacts, but otherwise he is still completely paralyzed. We’ve started giving him sugar water every second day and it’s at least not killed him, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on supplements we could feed him? I tried to look it up online but all I kept getting was how to kill spiders - the opposite of what I’m trying to do! I have to say that we’re not willing to kill other creatures to feed him especially since I don’t think he’ll recover. I already feel bad about taking him from the tarantula hawk since it means another spider had to be caught in his place. However we’ve become quite emotionally invested in our spider and have even named him Thomas. Below is a picture of him the day we first got him vs a recent picture. You can see the difference in his sternum size. C7F35360-0941-4A4D-BB59-FB9A1862BD37.jpeg s 7FB08977-F4DA-4256-BEF4-7C36B8217BC8.jpeg

Last edited:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Some people have has success feeding paralyzed tarantulas by squeezing the insides out of mealworms - perhaps you could try that.

Hazel42

Arachnopeon
Some people have has success feeding paralyzed tarantulas by squeezing the insides out of mealworms - perhaps you could try that.
I also read that, but am not willing to kill anything. I’m wondering if a supplement is possible. Thanks for your reply!

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I also read that, but am not willing to kill anything. I’m wondering if a supplement is possible. Thanks for your reply!
Spiders can go a long time without food as long as they're hydrated, but this is a VERY long recovery process. If you're unwilling to sacrifice an insect for food, your spider friend may not recover. If it was sufficiently well fed before it was captured, there's a chance it might survive, but it would be much more likely if it could have some actual nutrients.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’ve never seen one fully recover from this, and feeding it will be pretty hit or miss, but good luck!

thebugfreak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is very interesting and I would like to know the outcome.

We may never know but I wonder if the spider can regenerate the nerves that were targeted by the venom.

Hazel42

Arachnopeon
This is very interesting and I would like to know the outcome.

We may never know but I wonder if the spider can regenerate the nerves that were targeted by the venom.
I’ll update the post with the outcome. I think it’s getting to the point where he either has to recover (at least enough to feed himself) soon, or he’ll starve. He does seem to be moving a bit more lately, but again, it’s only when the movement is triggered by something like a light blow or touch. We will do what we can to help him out (hence the post), he’s even travelled on vacation with us so we could continue his feeding!

Ohok

Arachnopeon
I’ve never dealt with this so my only idea would be to check online to see if anyone sells a liquid with nutrients that would be okay for a spider. I have no idea if this is a stupid idea or not but maybe it’s worth a shot?

thebugfreak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I’ll update the post with the outcome. I think it’s getting to the point where he either has to recover (at least enough to feed himself) soon, or he’ll starve. He does seem to be moving a bit more lately, but again, it’s only when the movement is triggered by something like a light blow or touch. We will do what we can to help him out (hence the post), he’s even travelled on vacation with us so we could continue his feeding!
I wonder if you can buy dead bugs to squeeze the insides out if you don't want to kill anything? Or can a friend help?

thebugfreak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bad idea. Dead from insecticide, infection or infestation?
Like I've seen some petshops sell dead bugs for sale. It was like in a can if I remember correctly... Pretty interesting but I have never used those before so I cannot vouch for it.