Parahybana faceplant

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
(With apologies to anyone who also saw this on ATS...)

OK, maybe I'm easily amused, but this cracked me up. I was feeding my ~ 3" juvie L. parahybana a full-grown cricket, but the crick managed to scoot away from the first scuffle.

Now, this is a T that does not wait for food to come to her...She set off after the food, which managed to hide right beneath a fake leaf that the T has (un)helpfully half-buried. For a while we had a T on top of the leaf ineffectively lunging at the cricket beneath it...

Then the crick managed to dart through the loose coco fiber & apparently ended up in a burrow branch that runs along the bottom of the KK. And SOMEHOW the spider could sense the cricket was down there (motion?), and--here's where it gets entertaining--decided the shortest distance between 2 points being what it is, the best idea was to simply plunge headfirst through the coco. Or try to:

This went on for several tries; plunging in, freezing for a while, backing out, then "hearing" the cricket again & plunging back in. These are just a few of the many pics I grabbed of the stageshow:

Unfortunately pretty blurry, but it shows her at maximum plunge:

Eventually it seemed to dawn on her that she wasn't getting anyplace...so here she is ambling off to her actual burrow entrance, leaving a divot behind:

Shortly afterwards, an obvious earthquake in the KK indicated what turned out to be a successful encounter with dinner...

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That was really entertaining. I love it when T's are silleh :3

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
Man now I really can't wait to get mine (hopefully tomorrow it will arrive)! That is so funny. She worked hard for that meal!

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cool story. I can imagine my LPs doing the same thing. {D {D {D

I like your water dish. Where did you get it?

Agent Jones

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hahaha, that's awesome! I have all lazy eaters.. unless the cricket walks into them, they pretty much don't eat. :rolleyes:

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hahaha, that's awesome! I have all lazy eaters.. unless the cricket walks into them, they pretty much don't eat. :rolleyes:
Don't feed them for a couple weeks. Its amazing how there attitude toward food will change. {D

SCORPIONNOOB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My pink toe (Which ive only had for about 4 days now has seemed to let me know when shes hungry by walking down her log and letting her 2 front legs just dangle off the log JUST about touching the substrate. Crix goes in, touches the leg, ambush!!!{D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very cute!!!!! The poor baby!! She was hungry and that silly cricket wasn't being cooperative!! I'm glad she finally got her dinner!

WS6Lethal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that's great. Food tastes better when it's worked for.

m3z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dude thats funny. I have one and can't wait for her personality to come about. I got a good laugh out of those pictures! {D

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
cool pics and funny behavior...... but i cant say the same for mine these past few weeks since i rehoused her... she's actaully being more private these past few i dont see her out too often she even covered the entrance of her hide...??? this is her during the first week

then a few days later

last time i saw her out

then now

fully sealed.....

Last edited:

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey, thanks EVERYONE for all the replies! I got busy and didn't get around to acknowledging them sooner, but it's always nice to know a story was appreciated. :)

Cool story. I can imagine my LPs doing the same thing. {D {D {D

I like your water dish. Where did you get it?
Those were some specimen dishes I had on hand from other projects. Probably got them here:
http://www.carolina.com/product/equ...+stacking+type,+37+x+25+mm.do?sortby=ourPicks
My growing slings got too big for bottlecaps, and I was looking for something else and thought to try these, and I ended up really liking them too. The selection of "pet" bowls in the stores around here lately has been pretty hopeless! I think I'll probably use glazed plant saucers for the next step...

It's funny, but my L.p. really seems to like this dish, too. Spends a lot of time near or on it...not only when she's drinking! Such an interesting spider.

Arachnoholic480--I'll bet yours is getting ready to molt. Just be patient. :D Aren't they capable of great terraforming?

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, now I'm thinking of including LP's on my wishlist. I've seen a video where she chased her meal all the way to the end of the tank.

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, now I'm thinking of including LP's on my wishlist. I've seen a video where she chased her meal all the way to the end of the tank.

Oh, you should! I know, at first they don't seem all that interesting--not brightly colored, not at all rare!--but they really have so much personality, and they grow so fast you can start with a tiny sling and have a good sized spider in a year...

NB: for a couple of instars early on, mine stayed buried and was essentially a pet hole...but since then she's been no shrinking violet whatsoever. :D

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol!

That was funny. Least the food offered her some extra stimulation rather than just a quick kill. :p