Pandinus Imperator Molt! Determining Instar.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
My yound Pandinus Imperator has finally molted once again and I’m trying to figure out it if this would be considered 2nd or 3rd Instar. Is there Anyway to determine Just off of appearance ? It’s first molt was after it left the mothers back and possibly one other time when I had the brood housed together. A139BDE5-2775-4E17-B3B0-DB9D39E8D9F5.png CC5C8C3C-3FBE-4B6D-909E-CACAE69B6F03.png

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You cant really tell the instar unless you know when it was born but it is quite young.

Maybe 3rd?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
My yound Pandinus Imperator has finally molted once again and I’m trying to figure out it if this would be considered 2nd or 3rd Instar. Is there Anyway to determine Just off of appearance ? It’s first molt was after it left the mothers back and possibly one other time when I had the brood housed together. View attachment 301753 View attachment 301752
Going by what you have mentioned regarding molts, as the newborn nymph is 1st. instar, one other after leaving mother's back - 2nd. instar, possibly one other with the brood - 3rd. instar - making this molt 4th. instar ( if it did molt with the brood ) otherwise as darkness975 says - 3rd.instar.

I hope all the white specks on the substrate are springtails.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
Going by what you have mentioned regarding molts, as the newborn nymph is 1st. instar, one other after leaving mother's back - 2nd. instar, possibly one other with the brood - 3rd. instar - making this molt 4th. instar ( if it did molt with the brood ) otherwise as darkness975 says - 3rd.instar.

I hope all the white specks on the substrate are springtails.
There not.. you think it could be mold or something ? I think it's just the reflection of the water in the substrate

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
There not.. you think it could be mold or something ? I think it's just the reflection of the water in the substrate
Take some kitchen roll and dry a small area of the substrate and take a photo of the same area - just to satisfy yourself. The substrate does look too wet anyway, it should be nice and moist not dripping wet.

Pandinus Brian

Arachnopeon
I have a question relating to this. If an Emperor's stinger is red does that mean its done growing, or could it have another molt in it?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
If it's dark red/ brown then it's adult, maybe one more molt, more than likely mature adult.

Pandinus Brian

Arachnopeon
@darkness975 @Dry Desert
If it's dark red/ brown then it's adult, maybe one more molt, more than likely mature adult.
Ok here are some pics. I ask because I got him at a Reptile Show, and the seller had no idea what instar he is, but he is only about 4 to maybe 5 inches long(not including claws), and I have a female about instar 4 who is getting close to his size. So he seemed kind of small for an adult Emperor.

Thanks ahead of time!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@darkness975 @Dry Desert

Ok here are some pics. I ask because I got him at a Reptile Show, and the seller had no idea what instar he is, but he is only about 4 to maybe 5 inches long(not including claws), and I have a female about instar 4 who is getting close to his size. So he seemed kind of small for an adult Emperor.

Thanks ahead of time!
Looks adult to me.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
Take some kitchen roll and dry a small area of the substrate and take a photo of the same area - just to satisfy yourself. The substrate does look too wet anyway, it should be nice and moist not dripping wet.
Yea and the thing is I never mist the enclosure.. I house him in tupaware and I drilled holes in the top for air ways. It just retains moister so well that it rises from the substrate to the top of the tupaware and drips back into the substrate. You think I should re-house him into something less humid ?

Last edited:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
If it's not overly wet it will be okay. You could place him in a temporary enclosure and drill some additional air holes into the sides opposite each other to improve air flow and prevent the air becoming stagnant. Holes on one side approximately 1/2 way up, on the other side 3/4 up.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You dont have to mist as long as the substrate is moist.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
If it's not overly wet it will be okay. You could place him in a temporary enclosure and drill some additional air holes into the sides opposite each other to improve air flow and prevent the air becoming stagnant. Holes on one side approximately 1/2 way up, on the other side 3/4 up.
You dont have to mist as long as the substrate is moist.
With it being so wet all the time I went ahead and drilled the extra holes into the enclosure and I'm having great results. Good call on adding the extra air holes on the side. :) image.jpg

AP34

Arachnosquire
How long after molting do there shells fully harden, and turn black?
It takes progressively longer for their exoskeleton to harden and darken with each molt. It takes over a week to fully harden and it can take over a month for the color to completely change.

Pandinus Brian

Arachnopeon
It takes progressively longer for their exoskeleton to harden and darken with each molt. It takes over a week to fully harden and it can take over a month for the color to completely change.
Ok thank you. I have one at Instar 5 I think, it was about 3 weeks ago, and she still looks kind of brown. I feel a lot better now!