Pandinus ID Please. (:

MSRT

Arachnopeon
My first scorpion. Second hand rescue. This boy was apparently bought at a petco advertised as pandinus dictator. But I am a little skeptical after researching the species. After reading a LOT of threads, I'm pretty sure I really have a pandinus imperator. But it seems like it is a tricky thing to distinguish. So I would love some second opinions!

20171208_172956.jpg IMG_20171208_164912_389.jpg
Reasons I am leaning towards p imperator: smoother... head section. With that triangle/whatever indentations. Also doesn't look as bumpy on the rest of the body. Also, would petco even have a p dictator? I've never seen any scorpions at petco.

Also, here's a bottom pic if anyone wants to verify my male guess. Since I have no faith in myself and this is my first scorpion. Also, if anyone has any guesses on age/maturity, I would appreciate it! I included a horrible ruler picture if that helps.
20171208_173300.jpg 20171208_165901.jpg

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's a nice looking P. imperator, I'm 100% certain of that. I bought my first imperator in the late 70's and I have dictator and imperator right now, I can see the differences, the differences become obvious after seeing several specimens and comparing. Yours has had it's last molt and it was pretty recent, a young mature male imo. Older imperators are black but yours is still a little reddish looking. I recently read a pdf that stated only 150 dictators have been reported exported to the US and only 50 reported imported by a US importer up to 2014, ...ever. And about 2 years ago, somebody told me 600 were illegally imported to the US. Any claim a pet store makes that they have dictator, I would absolutely doubt it. I would say, "I simply can't purchase unless you send me a picture."

MSRT

Arachnopeon
Thank you both! And yeah, I totally thought it was strange that he was supposedly a P. dictator after seeing how uncommon they are. Are mature male scorpions like mature male tarantulas? In that their lifespan is a lot shorter than a females?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ime, yeah, males tend to not last as long. I haven't kept up with time-span records but I would guess their time is 15-20 percent less than females in general.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Are mature male scorpions like mature male tarantulas? In that their lifespan is a lot shorter than a females?
Not really that I have seen. Maybe by a little, but nowhere near the stark contrast that you get with Tarantulas.