Pandinus ID please.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1. The animals that where initially sold as P.smithi, where later regarded as P.gregoryi and in the end they where identified as P.exitialis.
2. The animal in the picture is probably P.cavimanus and is definetly not P.exitialis, because of the different overall coloration. Because coloration isn't a very strong taxonomical key point, yuo should also check the lenght of the scorpion (tip aculeus to edge of carapace) and the granulation on the carapace and chela.
Too bad you don't have locality data, this makes Id'ing this specimen harder, besides the taxononomical nightmares.

Cheers, Michiel

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm starting my own ID guide since no one else seems to be working on one.

Hope this helps people! Only a few more species to go, and ones like dictator can be ruled out easily :)

~Androctonus~

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Look at the pictures posted to discover "the dent" in the chela of males. This P.cavimanus (from the first pic) is the dark colored morph, they are also more reddish specimens, which the one in the picture clearly isn't.

~Androctonus~

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Look at the pictures posted to discover "the dent" in the chela of males. This P.cavimanus (from the first pic) is the dark colored morph, they are also more reddish specimens, which the one in the picture clearly isn't.
i think you miss that film-strip:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kdVvoSP8QtY

there you acn see that they mate - that's mean they are pair, because at the end you see the spermatophore.
at the film-strip you can see clearly that they BOTH have dents, the male and the female TOO. if it color morph that's never mined - it's the same spicies - P.cav, and you can see both of them have dents...

now i'm really confused..:?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am not going to watch the film, because I don't feel like it :D Let's not make things more complicated then they are.
The pictures posted above by Ryan of the chela shows well enough that males have a large inner tooth (or dent) in their chela, and females don't. If the vid shows two specimens mating and both have dents, then they either are both males (it happens sometimes that males try to mate, silly scorpions), or you are not looking at the right "body parts".

~Androctonus~

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just watch the movie, it's only 3 mins..
that's National Geographic's film-strip, they have both dents and you can see spermatophore after mating. i don't think they will put 2 males at the film, maybe you right, but they both have dents.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just watch the movie, it's only 3 mins..
that's National Geographic's film-strip, they have both dents and you can see spermatophore after mating. i don't think they will put 2 males at the film, maybe you right, but they both have dents.
What is funny is in that video, the specimen they claim to be female is the one that dropped the spermataphore.

As Michiel said.. I've seen two males try to mate as well.

~Androctonus~

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no way, it have no grains at all, and colors like P.cav.
this spicie is pretty rare and very expensive. no way that's a swammerdami. maybe i have to wait until it will grow up ?
no way to know now, just to make assumptions.
if anyone have any idea, please share.
I was just throwing ideas out there.. :evil:

~Androctonus~

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was just throwing ideas out there.. :evil:
i didn't meant to insult you, sorry.
just wondering if anyone have any idea, and if someone says something that isn't right - for sure, i just corrected..
i don't think it's any heterometrus. scorpio - not too.
this guy is very similar to pandinus, but the question is what sp.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
After googling around, it looks like P. viatoris to me. But in this area, research using pics and google is risky. Dependable IDs will be nailed down by a site eventually. Many people think they "know" as much as the person the really does know. So the people that think they know post pics of mis-IDed animals. It's really a mess out there right now with some species but it will come together eventually.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got these from Todd Gearhart as P. Gregoryi, from Kenya. Most look like the first set. I'm just not that good at noticing the details, but it looks like they could also be P. exitialis or P. bellicosus?

Then this looks like the one tabor said was being sold as P. smithii, but the claws on mine (or in his pics) don't seem to match the bumpy ones in the key:

Same as #2?:

Last edited: