Panama Red Rump Baboon?

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone,

I've looking through some classifieds on craigs list and came across one offering a Female "Panama Red Rump Baboon" Tarantula. I've never heard of this species or color morph etc before. I am newer to Tarantulas but I always thought Baboons were African in distribution, so I might be wrong here. I Was wondering if anyone has heard of such a species or might know what it's true name might be (no pics are available). He's selling it for 50 bucks if the price might help indicate as well (says its worth well over 100 but who knows he's a salesmen after all! lol :p).

Thanks!

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
search Sericopelma rubronitens that may be what he's selling.
Thanks for the quick reply! I might have to go take a look because that is a beautiful looking spider! I'll do some research on them as well!

He seems desperate to sell it too, so If it is indeed a rubronitens I might try and work him down :)

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
Contacted the seller, he says it is a Sericopelma rubronitens without me mentioning it. Its an adult Female an he's selling her for 50, since i'm unfamiliar with species how does that sound haha

mdub

Arachnopeon
Sounds like a great deal to me! Of course, you can't get any adult sized Ts where I live for cheaper than that. So jealous when I read about the deals you get in the states. sigh.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's funny. I wonder how he came up with that common name? I mean, baboons are essentially African T's. Panama is in Central America so... A central American African species... interesting.

Anyway, S. rubronitens is a great species. They grow somewhat larger than your average 5" T and are quite beautiful with their velvety blacka and red booty. I love mine! A little skittish and high strung for a big NW terrestrial though.

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
That's funny. I wonder how he came up with that common name? I mean, baboons are essentially African T's. Panama is in Central America so... A central American African species... interesting.

Anyway, S. rubronitens is a great species. They grow somewhat larger than your average 5" T and are quite beautiful with their velvety blacka and red booty. I love mine! A little skittish and high strung for a big NW terrestrial though.
Yea that's what I was thinking haha. Glad I wasn't losing my mind after all! :p

They just look so darn Big and impressive along with that beautiful color! I might hvae to take a peak and pick her up, especially if she's a female!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I highly recommend it. They're somewhat underrated T's, IMO. They get overshadowed bit other velvety black species like G. pulchra or B. vagans. Mine is a lot of fun; quirky attitude and an odd combination of curious and skittish. It makes for entertaining cage maintenance.

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
Ok so the dealer said he could help me out by lowering the price of this critter to 40 bucks :D

Anyone want to give me a personal run down of how they have kept this species? I've read several caresheets but wanted to get some first hand answers! :)

Thanks!

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Haha, the 'baboon' at the end is nice.. but there's not alot to the care of this species. Put it in with some substrate and a water dish, give it a hide.. should be good to go :).

-Sean

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
Awesome thank you! :D

One question though, considering it gets to be a relatively large species what size tank would you recommend? 5 gallon maybe 10? I also have some custom 3.5-4(estimates) cages that are more flat and square like and are roughly half the length of a 10 gallon and a couple inches wider.

FuzzOctave

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have my 6+" female in a 10 gallon. A five will work, but I wanted to give her a bit more space.

funguy@heart

Arachnopeon
They are always out and their coloring ,size makes them a great display T. My Sericopelma started digging within minutes of me getting her. I have her in a flipped 20 gallon with 8" deep substrate, but a 10 gallon would be fine. And at $40 I wouldn't pass