packing a big, pissy blondi

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all!
Ok. My blondi female will be going to Utah, to OldHag. The blondi in question is a little over 7 inches, plump, and VERY pissy. I did see Nixy's post on packing bugs, several times. However, any sage bits of knowledge on packing a pissy blondi?
Peace & eternal love..
Gillian

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gillian said:
Hi all!
Ok. My blondi female will be going to Utah, to OldHag. The blondi in question is a little over 7 inches, plump, and VERY pissy. I did see Nixy's post on packing bugs, several times. However, any sage bits of knowledge on packing a pissy blondi?
Peace & eternal love..
Gillian
I have to tell you it is no fun.
No fun at all.
We usually pack 6-9 inch blondis in 32 ounce deli dishes lined with several layers of damp paper towels. Fold several layers in the bottom, then line the sides with several layers as well so that about half of the paper towels are hanging over the sides. You will use these to fold over the tarantula.
Now this is the fun part.
Take a same size deli dish and get the blondi inside it. Best way is to simply put the dish over the blondi inside its habitat. Slide the lid underneath, trapping said tarantula inside.
Take it over to the packing dish and slowly slide the lid from underneath so that you have the tarantula sitting over the dish that it is being shipped in.
Sometimes, though rarely, the blondi will climb down and sit inside making it very easy to pack. Most likely you will have to "coerce" them down using a chopstick. The last straw method, and I don't like using it unless I have to, is to flip the two delis over, wait for the blondi to right itself, then repeat the process, end result being the blondi on its back, and you can quickly get the lid pressed down, but not shut. Wait for her to right herself. Then you can begin folding the paper towels over her. Be careful. You would be surprised just how strong these guys are.
Once you have her inside the container, with the lid pressed down, but not shut, use a chopstick or a pair of long forceps to section by section tuck the paper towels over the tarantula. Once she is covered, take another layer of folded, damp paper towels to lay over the top, thus creating a nice snug cushioned package.

Good luck.

Eric
www.e-spiderworld.com

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Eric,
Thank you..I know; I'm not looking forward to this. But, there's a certain very cute little Leo Gecko waiting for me, in Utah. I KNOW!!! OldHag? Either you can drive down here or, I'll drive up there, with the aquarium in my backseat. As an alternative, we could meet halfway.... ;)

Peace & eternal love...
Gillian

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm gonna have to print your post Eric. I may need to do that in the near future as soon as my male matures. He's not too far from becoming a "Big Daddy" :D (If I can find him a girlfriend that is...)

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like them obnoxious blondis... Ive had several, and just coax them unto my hand, then into a deli container. People say Im nuts for handling blondis and apophysis' however they only hiss. Ive never had one actually rear up. I think theyre big scaredys.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Gillian said:
Eric,
Thank you..I know; I'm not looking forward to this. But, there's a certain very cute little Leo Gecko waiting for me, in Utah. I KNOW!!! OldHag? Either you can drive down here or, I'll drive up there, with the aquarium in my backseat. As an alternative, we could meet halfway.... ;)

Peace & eternal love...
Gillian

I think my husband is actually going to go to Calif (Temecula area) on the 28th of june...is that close to you? Maybe he could meet you and swap critters...I havent asked him and I dont know what he would say about that...probably wont go for it :rolleyes: But its worth a try.

Michelle

EDIT---DOH I thought you were in Calif for some odd reason. Dang..I knew I shouldnt have had another kid...darn pregnancy drains my brain power...Im darn near brain dead these days :D....I guess the trip to calif is out of the question then.
New Mexico is closer anyway. {D

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Eric,
I will indeed take your advice. I have a spare 10G, so will be using it for a staging area, after I get her caught. She's a WICKED hair flicker, so I'll be wearing a mask.
Ripley,
Mine used to be a big baby. However now? She is very pissy. She'll threat display and rush anything in her enclosure.
Think well of me..everyone..
Peace, light & eternal love..
Gillian