PA Huntsman Spiders

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
Is there huntsman spiders in Pennsylvania? If there is where would I be able too catch one.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Nope. They only occupy the southern regions of the US and NA. CA and ND are the two northernmost spots IIRC.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Look for Dolomedes tenebrosus, they are the largest spider in PA. Check around streams and lakes in early summer. I have a huge female right now, she is very very skiddish though.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't expect her to bite but it would be difficult to handle her. She is very skiddish and very very fast. She is a beautiful spider though and although not aggressive I'd definitely say defensive... But that's basically any spider.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't expect her to bite but it would be difficult to handle her. She is very skiddish and very very fast. She is a beautiful spider though and although not aggressive I'd definitely say defensive... But that's basically any spider.
I humbly disagree :)

I would show you lots of pictures of me handling mine with no problems, but I'm getting a site error about data quota and can't upload any images lately. I'm not sure I would say spiders in general are defensive towards people. Most play dead or flee rather than try and defend. Really, it's a very small percentage of spiders as a whole that will try and defend themselves when facing human contact.

Fishing spiders can be quick, but tire out fast unlike a huntsman spider for example. When I handle mine I sometimes deal with about 30 seconds of the spider trying to bolt, but usually they just quickly get on me with a soft bump to the behind.

EDIT: Picture of me handling mine at bottom http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?246947-Huntsman-or-Fishing-Spider

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Nope. They only occupy the southern regions of the US and NA. CA and ND are the two northernmost spots IIRC.
There is a population of Heteropoda venatoria living in NY if you know where to look for them;)

Later, Tom