P Subfusca identification

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
My P. metallica has been in it's cork tube for goodness knows how long, I had a glimpse of her butt today as it was webbing the entrance, other than that it's been hiding, looking quite plump though, went to take a pic, but when I returned s/he had disapeppered "again". Hoping it has webbed up due to an upcoming molt. Optimistic as always.
Nothing wrong with a little blue butt action, especially with her little butt fingers giving you the peace sign:p

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
The purple colouration is amazing, love Pokies, they're an absolutely "must have" in the hobby, when you're ready for them of course, love this genus, as we all do....
I will love from afar :smug:Vicariously through you other keepers having these spiders, enjoying the pics

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
You can try, I bet you end up with at least one some day ;)
Mayyyybe, we shall see. My hands aren't fast enough for one of my own, do appreciate the encouragement, maybe in a few years. For now I will settle for trying to convince friends and acquaintances around me to buy the ones I can't keep from AB breeders, so that I can go see their Ts:couchpotato::D.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I will love from afar :smug:Vicariously through you other keepers having these spiders, enjoying the pics
Mayyyybe, we shall see. My hands aren't fast enough for one of my own, do appreciate the encouragement, maybe in a few years. For now I will settle for trying to convince friends and acquaintances around me to buy the ones I can't keep from AB breeders, so that I can go see their Ts:couchpotato::D.
I'm sure in a very short time you'll have the confidence and ability to keep this genus, they really aren't that hard to keep, just be cautious as I'm sure you are already, not that big a step really.....if your used to fast T's already.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
They really aren't difficult to keep. Obviously, you should stay within your comfort levels. Don't get one if you really aren't ready. But the difficulty of this genus is definitely talked up quite a bit. There are other OWs that are WAY more difficult to deal with compared to pokies. Once they have their hidey hole staked out, they tend to stay in it. Usually, if I have to do things in the enclosure (filling water, removing boluses, etc), I just tap the enclosure a couple times and the spider usually scurries into hiding.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
They really aren't difficult to keep. Obviously, you should stay within your comfort levels. Don't get one if you really aren't ready. But the difficulty of this genus is definitely talked up quite a bit. There are other OWs that are WAY more difficult to deal with compared to pokies. Once they have their hidey hole staked out, they tend to stay in it. Usually, if I have to do things in the enclosure (filling water, removing boluses, etc), I just tap the enclosure a couple times and the spider usually scurries into hiding.
I started with Pokies as my first OW's, they really aren't that hard to keep, as @Anoplogaster said, a tap on the enclosure announces your arrival, the pokies I've had were easy to deal with,(metallica, regalis) most keep to their hiding spots, any maintenance required should be done carefully and quickly, if you're calm the spider stays calm IME. I've recently went for OW fossorial sp. as they stay in their burrow, I don't gorge them, so you'll always see a nice attack as they wait at the entrance of their burrow, natural behaviour. I'm not certain when I'll go for my first OW terrestrial sp. but it won't be something I won't be able to deal with, start slowly and work up, if you never have one, you'll never know if your ready. This is just my experience and would not recommend OW's to anyone who isn't or doesn't feel ready for them. sp. I've just acquired - C. dyscolus sp. blue, H. laticeps, C. minax. all slings and doing fantastically well.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
This is all good info to show my co-keeper:D I suppose I'm just a cautious personality anyways, but if taken to an expo:angelic::angelic:who knows what might happen!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
This is all good info to show my co-keeper:D I suppose I'm just a cautious personality anyways, but if taken to an expo:angelic::angelic:who knows what might happen!
You know, there are a couple of Reptile Super Shows coming up in SoCal (don't know where in California you are). Just thought I'd point it out:angelic:

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
You know, there are a couple of Reptile Super Shows coming up in SoCal (don't know where in California you are). Just thought I'd point it out:angelic:
Sadly I'm in northern CA, I believe the next one near me is in the fall. So far off, but also closer to holidays, more excuses for a little fury present heh heh:angelic::couchpotato:

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
I would love to see an entomology club start up again near me, but the ones I have found are now inactive

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
In no way was this post implied directly to you, only get sp. you feel comfortable with, it was however in response to what you had said, I feel when keepers have been in the hobby for a decent length of time and have had many different sp. without incident, then there's no reason not to keep OW's , as long as it's in your comfort zone.

Which sp. are you keeping at this point in time, I would be interested to know, thanks.