p. sazimai premolt questions

Tautvydas

Arachnopeon
Hello,

First of all I wanted to start explaining that I am new to the hobby so I am sorry if the questions can sound stupid. I have read a lot about T's in forums, watched youtube videos and etc. and it definitely gave me the knowledge to understand my T behavior better, but to reassure myself I have a few questions. Recently, about two weeks ago, my T stopped eating and I noticed some appearance changes, like the black spot on the abdominal (as you can see in the picture), also it became darker than usual. Today it started ignoring me (usually when I approach to spray the T's enclosure it goes deeper in its burrow). I am guessing it's in premolt. The question is if the premolt period would take about a month, should I start offering her food? Or should I offer my p. sazimai sling food as I usually did before the premolt, every week and take it out if the T doesn't it eat it?
One thing that is strange for me that only one spot of the abdominal is black, maybe it means that the molt will not happen soon?

Thank you for your answers

Attachments

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
I would offer a pre-killed prey and remove it if your sling doesn’t touch it. As slings, it’s kinda tricky to know when they they’ve had enough even with abdomens looking like they are in premolt. It doesn’t hurt to try :).

Premolt usually is about a couple weeks for slings. As they get bigger, the time it takes in premolt increases. Tarantulas are individuals, and not all will take the same time even within sac mates of the same species.

When the slings’ abdomen becomes shiny (like your pictures depict), it’s an indication that molt is near. However, they may still accept food. Once the shiny area becomes darker and darker, the entire abdomen should be black in color, and I suspect it to molt in a few days.

I hope this information helps! ;)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hello,

First of all I wanted to start explaining that I am new to the hobby so I am sorry if the questions can sound stupid. I have read a lot about T's in forums, watched youtube videos and etc. and it definitely gave me the knowledge to understand my T behavior better, but to reassure myself I have a few questions. Recently, about two weeks ago, my T stopped eating and I noticed some appearance changes, like the black spot on the abdominal (as you can see in the picture), also it became darker than usual. Today it started ignoring me (usually when I approach to spray the T's enclosure it goes deeper in its burrow). I am guessing it's in premolt. The question is if the premolt period would take about a month, should I start offering her food? Or should I offer my p. sazimai sling food as I usually did before the premolt, every week and take it out if the T doesn't it eat it?
One thing that is strange for me that only one spot of the abdominal is black, maybe it means that the molt will not happen soon?

Thank you for your answers
If you can see clear pre molt signs, no need to offer food.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It looks to be in premolt. This species eats great for me at that size and only refuse food during premolt.. No sence in offering food untill it has molted..

Zepmaster

Arachnopeon
mine ate very well for the first little while after i got it, however for the last two weeks it has refused food.
it went on a walk last week kritter keeper lid hadn't been latched all the way my fault. found it in a gap in the wall trim luckily.
It has since been rehoused in a much more secure enclosure. kritter keeper is going to house a isopod colony now, it was a mistake from the start.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
If mine is not eating, it’s in premolt. It’s almost like my LP and A. genic when it comes to eating. Yours is likely in premolt.