P. rufilata surgery update.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As most of you know I have a P. rufilata that developed a very large lump on her abdomen, and I mean large. So since she was so small and the odds were seemingly slim that she would make it I decided to do surgery on the lump. I performed the surgery on June 25th 2008. So it has been about 3 months since then. She is alive and well still, and now she is in premolt. This is going to be the big test, if she can make it through this molt and improves Ill be happy.
Here is a link to the thread from the surgery.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=127341&highlight=surgery
And here is a short video of here now, and some pics,
[YOUTUBE]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8wgc9Zc5F7E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8wgc9Zc5F7E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/YOUTUBE]

Corranthe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am looking forward to an update once the molt finally happens. It would be really nice if she makes it through okay.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
awesome ryan!

your surgery went way better than mine did :eek:

--dan--

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the update, I'm really hoping this molt goes well. It will be nice to see this as a success and possibly becoming a way to treat hernias.
Rev

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol, i like the idea of the cardboard "surgery table" and the twist ties. another "nefcy-inspired" process has been noted :D

--dan--

oregongrown

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow ryan I had no idea you did this until just now, holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am amazed at what I just watched and the pictures I saw, the surgery table and everything, wow man, I wish I would have known that when I was over there, I want to see her next time I come out:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My best wishes to her and you and the upcoming moult. Please keep us updated. She looks good now, active and happy. Has she been eating well?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Allah/God/Yaweh/Buddah be with you and your spider Ryan.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She made it!

The lump is much smaller, but still there. But she made it!!!!!
Ill get more pictures once she has a chance to harden up.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is unreal....you should be proud and do NOT try to get any pics for a while.....rob

starfox181

Arachnopeon
thats amazing, i can't imagine doing that myself, but i suppose being in this hobby you have to take on alot of the responsibilities, as your local vet probably isnt gonna know squat about a tarantula. so are you planning to try another surgery to see if the lump will go away completely?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have to see the extent of the remaining lump before I make any decision toward doing surgery again. For now I think I want her to get a few meals in and we will go from there.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's great news, Ryan. I hope she continues to improve.

--Joe

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow! Thats great that she seems to be doing well and got through her molt!

You did an amazing job there. I'm definitely going to try and remember all the stuff that I'm learning here from people like you who are willing to figure things out, so that if/when I end up working in a vet practice when I graduate I can actually have some medical knowledge to share about Ts. I think it would be cool to be able to help a vet practice be able to help out the average T owner who isn't going to know where to begin with something like what you did.

Congrats on her making it though her molt and continuing to improve!

Corranthe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:clap:

Nice work! She looks great. If the lump that is left stays as small as it looks in that picture she'll may very well drop it off all together at the next molt.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:clap:

Nice work! She looks great. If the lump that is left stays as small as it looks in that picture she'll may very well drop it off all together at the next molt.
Oh it is not small, but it is smaller then it was. Ill get good pics in a week or so.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh it is not small, but it is smaller then it was. Ill get good pics in a week or so.
I know it hasn't been a week yet, but any updates? Your surgery thread was one of the most amazing things I've seen, and I'm really hoping the best for the little gal, and can't wait for more news on how she's doing.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow... (jaws dropped as I read your thread). Congratulations, and all the best to you and your T.

I wish all hobbyists even here in the Philippines would be as caring, creative, adventurous and devoted as you!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow of the lump now. And the more I look at her the more I am thinking of a second surgery. But I might wait one molt to see if there is a change for the better first.