P. regalis

jgon_87

Arachnopeon
so my question is do P. regalis's abdomens get darker when theyre gonna molt like T. blondis or does this occur in every T? the reason why I ask is cause ive been waiting forever for this T to mature! and hes starting to put some web down but I dont want to get my hopes up since ive been waiting so long.
thanks

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i believe that's a noticable characteristic in NW species because they kick hairs and have bald spots. OWers don't kick hair so they don't have bald spots to darken up...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They dull in color all over but since there is no bald patch like your blondi it is harder to see premolt coming in regalis. They also slow down some and get clumsy. Bottom line is patience is a virtue. You are just going to have to wait.
You can try taking a flashlight and shining it though the legs. If they are semi transparent then I doubt a molt is near, but if they are dark with lines and not that see through then a molt is coming. That is how I know molts are coming in my larger Ts. Once you see the difference in the legs of a freshly molted T and a premolt T it will be much easier to spot in the future.

jgon_87

Arachnopeon
cool thanks for the info and ill try the flashlight in a bit

They also slow down some and get clumsy.
you say they get clumsy could a molt effect their temperment? I keep the male with a female in the same enclosure and theyve been kept like that for about 8 months now and the guy I got them from kept them the same way for no telling how long. anyways just two nights ago they went at it I guess cause when I woke the female was missing a leg andd it was just sitting at the bottom of the enclosure. since then theyve been seperated so I guess im just curious.
thanks

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
They dull in color all over but since there is no bald patch like your blondi it is harder to see premolt coming in regalis. They also slow down some and get clumsy. Bottom line is patience is a virtue. You are just going to have to wait.
You can try taking a flashlight and shining it though the legs. If they are semi transparent then I doubt a molt is near, but if they are dark with lines and not that see through then a molt is coming. That is how I know molts are coming in my larger Ts. Once you see the difference in the legs of a freshly molted T and a premolt T it will be much easier to spot in the future.
With the P. regalis and P. ornata I got from you I have noticed pre-molt behavioral changes. Here is a list of the things that I observe leading up to a molt.

1. Refusal of prey

2. Shyness - If i was to lightly blow on one of the vent holes it normally triggers prey attack responses from them, but not 2-3 weeks leading up to a molt.

3. Color Changes - though this is only slightly noticeable(this isn't really behavioral, but oh well)

4. Re-Decorating - they have both built chambers covered in substrate prior to molting, only to slowly dismantle them afterward.

Those are my observations.

BTW, when one or both of them molt out into mature males you get first dibs.;)

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, I noted that they somehow loose the ability to climb smooth surfaces. My Pokies usualy have no problem racing across the glass, but once near a molt they slip down or fall on their back whenever they try!

jgon_87

Arachnopeon
well no molt guess he just wanted to put some web down and i guess ill keep waiting. also thanks for the info ill know what to be looking for now

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
only way i can tell when they are gonna molt is when i don't see them because they are hiding most of the time.