P. Regalis Male not Tapping

Davidmortiis

Arachnopeon
Hey guys as title says, i got this M. Female P. Regalis she is around 3 years, I decided to Mate her, I feed her nicely, Temperatures are 78-83 bit more humid then normal, my friend gave me MM P.Regalis, i had him in 32oz deli cup, i put him inside My females enclosure for like 2 days with deli cup without opening it, yesterday i opened It and relised him, i did not see my female coming out or him Tapping at all, i left him inside since yesterday and went to work, what should i do? should i keep him inside or remove him and try later?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There are a lot of different stances on pairing, and cohabitation is one of them. Personally, cohabitation is the exception to the rule as far as I'm concerned. Pokies tend to be quite easy to pair - males are enthusiastic and females are willing. Pokies have been the fastest to pair by far for me, often finishing the business in a few minutes. So, that being said, I would not keep them together for any extended period of time. You're just asking her to eat him.

Now for your question. It's either the male, the female, or something else.

Concerning the male, first and foremost, when was his last molt? And are you absolutely certain that he is mature? Also be sure that he is plenty hydrated and has eaten recently as well. Just like the female, some males simply won't mate if they're starving or dehydrated. If all is well on that front, I would keep his enclosure right next to hers. Male tarantulas can absolutely pick up pheromones from that kind of distance. I can't tell you how many times I've been in bed and woken up by the male and female tapping back and forth. That tends to be the best time to pair.

Concerning the female, are you sure she's sexually mature? Further, how long has she been housed in this particular enclosure? I have found that males sometimes simply don't know there is a female around if the enclosure is fresh. They are, after all, blind. If he can't 'smell' her, then he has no idea she's even there. If she has been there for quite some time (at least a few months), then this isn't a problem. Fortunately, chances are she has also laid down some webbing. Take a chunk of that webbing and put it into the male's enclosure. He should eventually start tapping just from the webbing.

Davidmortiis

Arachnopeon
when was his last molt?
he molted last month according to his owner,
They both Mature.
i can remove him from Enclosures and try feed him i guess and Give him water, then try later, also she is Very new in her new enclosure around 3 weeks in here.
I just went home to heck on them and still same No action nothing, she is not even in her cork bark as normally but hidden behind it, meanwhile he is on class :D nothing is happening No movements no Tapping.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
she is Very new in her new enclosure around 3 weeks in here.
This is most likely your problem. He simply doesn't know that she's there. She's stressed out because there is this strange spider in her enclosure and, as I said, females are receptive to males. So she's not sure what to do with a male that isn't tapping. (note: I may be anthropomorphizing a bit here, but the idea is solid)

In short? Feed her like mad and moisten her substrate. You want her to be as active as possible as to web as much as she can. You could even place her enclosure near a window to warm her up a bit. If you want to pair her, you literally cannot overfeed her. After she has laid down a bit of web (you may have to look closely for it, do not expect a web curtain) then put him back in. If he doesn't start tapping within fifteen minutes, take him out. Don't leave him in there for extended periods of time again. There is simply no point. Again, male pokies are zealous.

Davidmortiis

Arachnopeon
This is most likely your problem. He simply doesn't know that she's there. She's stressed out because there is this strange spider in her enclosure and, as I said, females are receptive to males. So she's not sure what to do with a male that isn't tapping. (note: I may be anthropomorphizing a bit here, but the idea is solid)

In short? Feed her like mad and moisten her substrate. You want her to be as active as possible as to web as much as she can. You could even place her enclosure near a window to warm her up a bit. If you want to pair her, you literally cannot overfeed her. After she has laid down a bit of web (you may have to look closely for it, do not expect a web curtain) then put him back in. If he doesn't start tapping within fifteen minutes, take him out. Don't leave him in there for extended periods of time again. There is simply no point. Again, male pokies are zealous.
i came home to remove him, i hear tapping, but i still see he is trying to go closer to her he went few times and touched her with his legs and she was trying to come closet toward him and he turns back and keeps walking and tapping all over, now they both outside he does circles all over and tapping is this how it should be?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
i came home to remove him, i hear tapping, but i still see he is trying to go closer to her he went few times and touched her with his legs and she was trying to come closet toward him and he turns back and keeps walking and tapping all over, now they both outside he does circles all over and tapping is this how it should be?
Apologies for the late reply.

Yes, that's exactly what you want. I have seen a few pokie males be fleeting like that. Essentially, getting "nervous" when the female gets close. When I get a male like that, I lock him into her enclosure during the mating process. Note that I do not leave him in there for extended periods of time. Only that he can't just leave like yours seems to be doing. They will eventually mate in this scenario. If the song and dance lasts more than 45-60 minutes, then remove him and try again later.

Everything that is going on seems to be a good sign. Your female is interested and your male is willing! You just have a timid male. So keep at it and you should have a good pairing. Be thankful that your female is forgiving :)

Davidmortiis

Arachnopeon
Apologies for the late reply.

Yes, that's exactly what you want. I have seen a few pokie males be fleeting like that. Essentially, getting "nervous" when the female gets close. When I get a male like that, I lock him into her enclosure during the mating process. Note that I do not leave him in there for extended periods of time. Only that he can't just leave like yours seems to be doing. They will eventually mate in this scenario. If the song and dance lasts more than 45-60 minutes, then remove him and try again later.

Everything that is going on seems to be a good sign. Your female is interested and your male is willing! You just have a timid male. So keep at it and you should have a good pairing. Be thankful that your female is forgiving :)
thank you for all your information, i removed him and now I'm trying to feed him then relies him inside again.