P. Regalis (in progress)

mhieros

Arachnopeon
Well, I picked up a mature male Saturday. He was drumming away so I put him with my female. He was drumming in her cage and she drummed and danced back most the night. I saw them get together but I don't think anything happened, he got scared and ran off after both front legs met hers for a second to two. Then it was back to drumming. She was slowly approaching again. I think the male is a little skittish. I woke up Sunday morning and he was still there. I saw much the same activity last night. This morning they are on opposite sides again. We'll see what happens tonight.

I plan to put him in for a week, out for a week, in for a week and out for a week ect... Or should I do it every few days?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated :) this is my first spider breeding attempt. I hadn't planned on it but the guy had a mature male and no female so I figured I'll give it a shot. He wanted him to at least have a shot before he died.

CandlesFlame

Arachnopeon
Well, I picked up a mature male Saturday. He was drumming away so I put him with my female. He was drumming in her cage and she drummed and danced back most the night. I saw them get together but I don't think anything happened, he got scared and ran off after both front legs met hers for a second to two. Then it was back to drumming. She was slowly approaching again. I think the male is a little skittish. I woke up Sunday morning and he was still there. I saw much the same activity last night. This morning they are on opposite sides again. We'll see what happens tonight.

I plan to put him in for a week, out for a week, in for a week and out for a week ect... Or should I do it every few days?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated :) this is my first spider breeding attempt. I hadn't planned on it but the guy had a mature male and no female so I figured I'll give it a shot. He wanted him to at least have a shot before he died.
Hi mhieros,
I've had my female over 4 years now (since she was a 1" sling) and received a mature male from botarby8 on Oct. 3rd. Your post pretty much sums up exactly what I'm seeing here with my mating attempts. A lot of drumming, shaking, and then running. My female is very receptive but, the only time my male has allowed my female to get close or even attempted to get close enough him self to mate is when they're both hanging upside down from the lid of the enclosure which results in him falling to the floor :wall: (We've named him Crash). I've been doing a 3 days in, 3 days out routine and was going to ask if maybe I'm not giving them enough time and should I change it to a week in, a week out routine instead or just let them cohabitate until the bitter end? This is my first attempt at breeding as well. I guess it's just a matter of whenever he's ready? ;P Good luck to you, I'll keep my fingers crossed for yah :) Please update any progress.

I too would greatly appreciate any advice offered. Thanks

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had a male regalis in my female's enclosure since 9-19-06. I've seen the same things as the two of you. My female seems quite receptive, but the male is extremely skittish. Whenever my female responds to the male's drumming he ends up on the ceiling of the enclosure. She doesn't go up on the ceiling. I think it's because she's so big and knows she will fall.

I have debated removing the male for a while, but I really don't like moving pokies too much. Plus, I'm not sure if that will change anything since he has made at least one sperm web while he's been in her enclosure.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yeah, i've pretty experienced the same thing as the rest of you, with a few notes:

the male was skittish but after almost a month of cage time the female went from receptive to defensive/aggressive... i took this as a positive sign they might have mated

i *believe* if a tarantula has made one sperm web and then makes another after being with a female that is indicative that some mating has taken place. i figure if he has to reload that means he fired off a few shots :D

for a more complete report of my progress to date, check out my report on VL
http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11156

oh, and my female has a HUGE booty now, 2-3 months later!

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never bred P. regalis, but with the species I have bred my experience has been that the first few attempts the male is either fairly skittish or the female is disinterested. I usually just keep trying and eventually they usually get it right. Whether you want them to co-habitate or not is up to you. Many breeders do and it increases the chances of opportunities for them to pair up. The downside is that you run the risk of the female eating him while you aren't around and can't intervene (of course, even if you are watching their every move there is no guarantee you'll be fast enough if she does get aggressive). Right now, I have a pair of A. purpurea that I'm working with. I'm letting the male go in and stay over night once a week and then giving him 5-7 days "off" to build a sperm web and reload. I could probably leave them in, but adult A. purpurea are hard to find and I was lucky to be able to get this male (from Varden) so I'm just extra nervous about him being eaten. I think though that you can sense how they are doing together. My female after a day was starting to chase him around and he seemed skittish and nervous, so I thought it best to take him out. My best advice would be to keep trying. Eventually they will figure out what they are supposed to do and get down to business.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my male avic made 4 sperm webs with no female in sight...so if he "shot a few off" he would have had to be masterbating...so spiders masterbate?

CandlesFlame

Arachnopeon
I have debated removing the male for a while, but I really don't like moving pokies too much. Plus, I'm not sure if that will change anything since he has made at least one sperm web while he's been in her enclosure.
Up until this mating attempt I usually don't move my pokies around. My female's so calm and easy going I can do any cleaning and maintenance to her enclosure with out having to move her. I just keep a close eye on her when I do. But with this male, he's so hyper and jumpy, it really makes me nerves to move him back and forth but, after the third day of him being with my female, she's reached her limits with him and goes after him with a vengeance. If I don't remove him I have no doubt he'd of been lunch by now.

the male was skittish but after almost a month of cage time the female went from receptive to defensive/aggressive... i took this as a positive sign they might have mated
I thought the same thing. On the third day of the first introduction my female was no longer interested in mating and was very defensive/aggressive toward my male. I thought "woo hoo they've done it!" {D I removed the male and waited 3 more days then reintroduced them looking to get some conformation from her response that a successful mating had taken place. I was very disappointed to see once I put him in she was very receptive and responsive to him once again until the third day. :( This is how I ended up doing the 3 day on, 3 day off routine. I've introduced him 3 times thus far and each time it's been the same thing. :wall:

Thanx your report was helpful :)

I've never bred P. regalis, but with the species I have bred my experience has been that the first few attempts the male is either fairly skittish or the female is disinterested. I usually just keep trying and eventually they usually get it right. Whether you want them to co-habitate or not is up to you. Many breeders do and it increases the chances of opportunities for them to pair up. The downside is that you run the risk of the female eating him while you aren't around and can't intervene (of course, even if you are watching their every move there is no guarantee you'll be fast enough if she does get aggressive). Right now, I have a pair of A. purpurea that I'm working with. I'm letting the male go in and stay over night once a week and then giving him 5-7 days "off" to build a sperm web and reload. I could probably leave them in, but adult A. purpurea are hard to find and I was lucky to be able to get this male (from Varden) so I'm just extra nervous about him being eaten. I think though that you can sense how they are doing together. My female after a day was starting to chase him around and he seemed skittish and nervous, so I thought it best to take him out. My best advice would be to keep trying. Eventually they will figure out what they are supposed to do and get down to business.
I'm sure you're right and he'll figure it out one of these times. Until then I'll just keep trying. I've read a few posts where others have been able to co-habitate their pairs successfully but, after seeing how she is, in all honesty, I seriously doubt he'd make it past a day 3. I was wondering if because he's so much smaller than her (she's 8" he's 5") maybe he needs her to be frustrated and stressed to get the upper hand? :? This is why I asked if maybe a longer stay in her enclosure would be worth the risk. I think I'll stick with the current routine. It seems to be the safest option.

Oh, A. purpurea are so beautiful. :drool: I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well and you get lots of little ones. {D
Thank you for the encouragement and advise I appreciate it very much.

my male avic made 4 sperm webs with no female in sight...so if he "shot a few off" he would have had to be masterbating...so spiders masterbate?
And men think they have variety with only two hands ;P lol