P.regalis female with no fangs after molt

forfun

Arachnopeon
dang, i bought a p.regalis for not so long ago it was in premolt when i got her. She molted and 3 weeks later (today and earlier) i tried to feed her but she cant kill the cricket, she struggles with the fangs i see. So most likely both the fangs does not work at all, which sucks. I have a a.geniulata that only have one fang and she can kill and eat normally.

Any advice on what i should do?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
If it has no fangs you're going to have to be making bug soup for a while to make sure she can eat. Basically you're going to mash up your feeders into a smoothie and leave them in a little dish for her to find and suck up until she gets to her next molt. Good luck.

forfun

Arachnopeon
If it has no fangs you're going to have to be making bug soup for a while to make sure she can eat. Basically you're going to mash up your feeders into a smoothie and leave them in a little dish for her to find and suck up until she gets to her next molt. Good luck.
I'll read about that. I try it out and hope for the best but expect the worst. Thanks :)

forfun

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know if a T can eat a dead cricket with damaged/lost fangs? or does it need to be smashed into a soup?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Does anyone know if a T can eat a dead cricket with damaged/lost fangs? or does it need to be smashed into a soup?
I remember someone saying that they cut superworms or mealworms in half to expose the soft parts and the T ate that. It won't be able to eat a dead cricket as it won't be able to inject any venom or get past the exoskeleton to the parts it actually needs to eat.

forfun

Arachnopeon
I remember someone saying that they cut superworms or mealworms in half to expose the soft parts and the T ate that. It won't be able to eat a dead cricket as it won't be able to inject any venom or get past the exoskeleton to the parts it actually needs to eat.
Makes sense. Gonna get some superworms on monday. Poor girl is so hungry and tries so bad to kill the cricket so i took it out. I also recognized that she was walking in a weird way, hard to explain but it looks oddly like.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Are the fangs gone completely or just damaged?

Without the fangs it cant mash up its food and will need to eat something pre liquified. I hear waxworms are the go to feeder in these instances. High in fat and easy to liquify...any feeders with hard parts(exos) should be avoided.

forfun

Arachnopeon
Are the fangs gone completely or just damaged?

Without the fangs it cant mash up its food and will need to eat something pre liquified. I hear waxworms are the go to feeder in these instances. High in fat and easy to liquify...any feeders with hard parts(exos) should be avoided.
I can't tell that for 100% if the fangs are damaged or completely gone. After just a slight vibration she rush out the hide and jumps the cricket and i can see her struggling with the "top of the fangs" close to the head or what i should say. They are moving but she fails to fang into the cricket. I haven't got a chance to confirm but it looks like it can't fang into the prey.

I will try to find some waxworms. I hope she can find the soup bowl :arghh:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I can't tell that for 100% if the fangs are damaged or completely gone. After just a slight vibration she rush out the hide and jumps the cricket and i can see her struggling with the "top of the fangs" close to the head or what i should say. They are moving but she fails to fang into the cricket. I haven't got a chance to confirm but it looks like it can't fang into the prey.

I will try to find some waxworms. I hope she can find the soup bowl :arghh:
Just place it next to her hide, the smell of mashed up feeders will be irresistible. ;)

cold blood

Staff member
IME wax worms work best. Slice them lengthwise and score it a few times across the original cut....its entirely soft and can generally be consumed. Don't expect t to eat a lot....if it does, that's a nice bonus. Its an annoying process, but I have had it occur several times and have never lost a t because of it.

forfun

Arachnopeon
IME wax worms work best. Slice them lengthwise and score it a few times across the original cut....its entirely soft and can generally be consumed. Don't expect t to eat a lot....if it does, that's a nice bonus. Its an annoying process, but I have had it occur several times and have never lost a t because of it.
That's some really good news to hear man. Her abdomen looks to be in decent size even after a molt. I'll try to find some wax worms where i live, if i don't find wax worms would superworms work then?

You gave me some hope in this case

cold blood

Staff member
That's some really good news to hear man. Her abdomen looks to be in decent size even after a molt. I'll try to find some wax worms where i live, if i don't find wax worms would superworms work then?

You gave me some hope in this case
I would look for something softer...like hornworms or even an earthworm.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had a T lose both fangs after a molt. She died of starvation. It will depend upon how diligent you are feeding your T, and more importantly how hard wired your T is for movement. My T had zero interest in prey items that didn't move. Bug soup, no interest.

Also, I strongly recommend you keep twice as much water in there as you usually do. My fangless girl drank A LOT to keep up her blood pressure.

RIP

Last edited:

forfun

Arachnopeon
I've had a T lose both fangs after a molt. She died of starvation. It will depend upon how diligent you are feeding your T, and more importantly how hard wired your T is for movement. My T had zero interest in prey items that didn't move. Bug soup, no interest.

Also, I strongly recommend you keep twice as much water in there as you usually do. My fangless girl drank A LOT to keep up her blood pressure.

RIP

Sry for your loss. Yeah there is a risk that she may die and i actually expect that but i will try my best with bug soup once a week. Thanks for the advice. The most frustration part about this is that i bought her in premolt and she molted 2 weeks later with no fangs, ah well it does happen.. I feel bad mostly for her tho, poor girl without fangs.

forfun

Arachnopeon
I wanna update you guys with some good news! The p.regalis female forced a molt and now have fangs that is working. I think i saw her eat from the bug soup once which i made once a week or so. Never saw the bug soup decrease in mass, so she prob had enough energy left for a force molt to repair her fangs :)

kylepeach

Arachnopeon
Makes sense. Gonna get some superworms on monday. Poor girl is so hungry and tries so bad to kill the cricket so i took it out. I also recognized that she was walking in a weird way, hard to explain but it looks oddly like.
Make sure your T isn't dehydrated. T's will become disorientated when they walk when they are dehydrated. Food–... Water for thought.