P. pederseni sac...

arachi american

Arachnopeon
hey there everyone....

i'm not a super-regular poster as i'm sure you can see, but i've been around a while and had my successes...never did do anything with pokies tho. always kept 'em, but turns out i get a lot of males. i guess thats why you learn to sex spiders :eek:

anyway i bred my P. pederseni a while back, but had jsut about given up on anythign coming of it. couple days ago i set up a new and bigger cage for herand she went right into her hide and spun me a beautiful sac.

now, when i did irminias, pulchripes (when they were aureostriata hehe), and maculatas, and i've always left the sac with the female, but everything i've read about pokies says they'll stress super easy and eat my little bundle of joy...and i'd be pretty bummed if my first Poecilotheria sac got eaten.

so what are thoughts? should i leave her be, or wait a few days, maybe a week, and pull the sac? i've never incubated a spider sac before...just snake eggs.

here's the cage as i was introducing her...you can see her cowering in the bottom right.

and here she is a day and a half or so ago before she retreated into the hide in the back right corner.

sorry for the hugeness of the pics :D

arachi american

Arachnopeon
oh yea...

i didnt get a picture of the sac cuz she's in the far corner and i'd have to rattle her around a good ammt to get the camera back there...

like i said i dont wanna mess this one up, i like these guys =)

arachi american

Arachnopeon
hey thanks guys....

i know it's real important to have discussions on all topics concerning our little hobby we have here, and i don't mean to be rude, but COME ON man....

i posted this a couple days ago and no responses, yet theres 5 friggin pages of discussion of feeding fish flakes to baby roseas.:? i'm not saying that topic doesnt deserve discussion, cuz all do, but this is a serious post...i would think all the super-posters on here would just LOVE to argue back and forth about the merits of pulling the sac or letting mom handle it.

i've had successes in the past but, ive had bad luck with pokie sacs and i'd like some opinions. so do you guys wanna just argue with each other about theory, or can i get some real advice? i want as many opinions as i can get.

big thanks to Paul Becker for actually giving his advice over the phone, and offering to incubate the sac at no cost. i have a huge appreciation for professionalism and very little appreciation for teenagers slinging cyber-insults at each other or people trying to make a NAME for themselves...my t's are not my source of income, and i'm very generous with respectable people.

when this sac hatches, a LOT of free slings are going out....i'm not a dealer, i dont even have a paypal acct, and i dont want my phone ringing for 6 months about something that will be done in a month.

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry i can't help you except to wish you luck! did you try searching? that may get you an answer quicker. many discussions have been had on this topic, and there may not even be a consensus, just anecdotal advice.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My pokies have always been great moms. I typically pull them at 3 weeks or so, but I have left a few P. fasciata with the moms until they emerges as 1st instars. Keep her quiet and I wouldn't worry about her eating the eggsac.

arachi american

Arachnopeon
sorry i can't help you except to wish you luck! did you try searching? that may get you an answer quicker. many discussions have been had on this topic, and there may not even be a consensus, just anecdotal advice.
ya i live in the real world....people i know respond within minutes or at the latest, hours. in person or on the phone...i was just very disappointed in the AB community here. everyone would rather argue with each other about BS than answer a real question.

anyone that had an opinion, one way or the other, would probly have got a few free slings, but they'd rather have infights about whatever topic is hot at the moment....Paul is gonna get some, and that's that. not because he offered to incubate the sac, i could have easily dont it on my own, but because he contacted me and gave implicit advice on temps and humidity (i had her a bit cool)....and made personal contact. that kind of thing is appreciated, and most online hobbyists just don't understand that.

i asked a question because i wanted opinions, not because i wanted to do research. i've done it. plenty. my first spider was a B. smithii in '91.

like i said, this is a hobby for me, and i'd love too hook up friends with pederseni's when i get 'em to an inch or 2. it's not about money or status in the "community"...nobody knows my name other than personal hobbyist friends, and for all i care that's all i need because i love my spiders for what they are, not what they can do for me.

thanks again paul, and i'll see you in about 3 weeks. =)

arachi american

Arachnopeon
My pokies have always been great moms. I typically pull them at 3 weeks or so, but I have left a few P. fasciata with the moms until they emerges as 1st instars. Keep her quiet and I wouldn't worry about her eating the eggsac.
thanks man, i might just send you a sling or two since you responded before i got annoyed =)

3 weeks is exactly what i'm lookin at to pull, from what ive read the pederseni's can be particularly prone to eating sacs.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice cage, no advice, but i just had two adult females and a male regalis molt this week so i am going to try my hand at regalis breeding, keep a couple slings and if you want some regaliss then maybe we can swap later down the line as im in it for the hobby also and not the money.