Species P. ornata

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From what I understand the "Blue" or "Light" color forms of Poecilotheria ornata can be IDed by ventral patterns the normal form does not have.I believe this is a different locality of ornata then the normal hobby form.
See here:
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3217/783c800brl5.jpg
-Chris
thanks chris, gives me the inclination to dig deeper into the whole sp. "blue" thing.. always thought little of it

and as far as Spyder 1.0's theory of the spider in question being male, id have to disagree strongly. As far as everything i know about ornata the pic parslegacy posted in post 7 is clearly female imo (without a ventral pic even)
the light coloration of the carapace, the coloring in general, and the white dorsal stripe (yeah.. i went there:sarcasm:) are all 3 characteristics of female.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^ I don't mind being proved wrong. Ventral pic!

also, I just found this thread of a probably hybrid P.ornataxpederseni
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?229148-Poecilotheria-ornata-or-hybrid/page2

Leg 4 shows the diagnostic triangular marking for p.pederseni, the anterior legs arn't quite as vibrant yellow as normal (for an ornata) and dorsal carapace seems washed out.

Edit: I took another look at the photos and my money is on male! :)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
me either lol..
would be cool to find out, as aside from a molt, nothing is CERTAIN.. everything is just a guide line.

---------- Post added 11-19-2012 at 07:21 PM ----------

I've got a regalis sp. red. :)
and wait... WHAT?:o_O:
please tell me thats a joke?

parslegacy

Arachnopeon
I agree with the above statement. I've been in correspondence with Peter Kirk about this P.ornata sp. blue and he doesn't seem to think much of it.

It is interesting, however to note that the illustration of the leg 4 of the P.ornata shows resemblance that of the sp. blue seen in the following link:http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3217/783c800brl5.jpg supplied by syndicate above.

Note: This is not the type specimen illustrated in this paper but merely an example of what was floating around the hobby at that time in 1991. It is also subject to scrutiny as it was not noted how Kirk measured the markings or if the illustrations are to scale (which I have my doubts of)

The plot thickens.

---------- Post added 11-19-2012 at 01:35 PM ----------

Also to the OP. In addition to a ventral picture can we also get a ventral shot of the abdomen. I have a feeling that this is a sub-adult male. Male Poecilotheria sp. in my experience are almost always more blue-ish dorsally.

---------- Post added 11-19-2012 at 01:36 PM ----------

Does anyone know the source of this? http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3217/783c800brl5.jpg
i have already gender the tarantula sir and it has a flaps on it where you can see the spermathacae of the tarantula..well heres another pic of its legs having blue coloration

thank you for explaining me about this sp.blue because it was my seller who gave me an idea to wait for its final molt..and it is already confirmed female basing on its molt and ventrally :)ill get a ventral shot and post it here soon..thank you

---------- Post added 11-20-2012 at 03:55 PM ----------

another picture of her munching on a dubia...

[imgl]https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252271_10151252687479266_932117212_n.jpg[/img]

[imgl]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/149179_10151252687704266_1014714823_n.jpg[/img]

it would greatly help if you share your opinions and suggestions:) thank you guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
]please post a picture of the full ventral (bottom) side of the animal.

Here is an example

BIOGU00533A02 [P. ornata 4].jpg

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, i WILL admit that your "sp. blue" DOES have a lot of coloration that mine doesnt (in regular lighting). Due to lighting/photography? I dont know!
Either way, that is a beautiful female. Wish i could see her in person

I also agree with spyder... can you please post ventral pics? not to determine gender, but so we can all see its leg patterns/banding..would be awesome to compare with the link chris gave below

From what I understand the "Blue" or "Light" color forms of Poecilotheria ornata can be IDed by ventral patterns the normal form does not have.I believe this is a different locality of ornata then the normal hobby form.
See here:
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3217/783c800brl5.jpg
-Chris

jfulcher

Arachnopeon
My new P. ornata Clover!!!
ornata.JPG ornata2.JPG ornata3.JPG ornata4.JPG :angelic: freshly molted!!!

parslegacy

Arachnopeon
well, i WILL admit that your "sp. blue" DOES have a lot of coloration that mine doesnt (in regular lighting). Due to lighting/photography? I dont know!
Either way, that is a beautiful female. Wish i could see her in person

I also agree with spyder... can you please post ventral pics? not to determine gender, but so we can all see its leg patterns/banding..would be awesome to compare with the link chris gave below
i just wanna share this picture while my p.ornata is taking down a female dubia :)

ok thank you for asking,here is the ventral shots of the p.ornata :) im sorry if there are some pictures that is not clear due to flash

i hope it will be clear for you to see this magnificent creature :)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i DO see a lot of similarity. again, very pretty spider. It looks like it has a hint of P.met (as far as coloration goes) hues to it.
I will definitely do some reading on this so called "sp. blue"

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Information as to where you obtained it would help. The ventral images you provided seem to show that the 4th leg white band close to the body is larger and longer than the standard for the described P.ornata but a image of the 4th and 5h legs flattened i/e pokie stance would be more informative.

This is an interesting case for sure!

Thanks for taking the time to post those images!

parslegacy

Arachnopeon
thank you again guys for having some time to look into our p.ornata sp.blue hopefully after its final molt will see its true beauty..ill keep posted then for you to see and observed this beautiful pokie :)

mike24

Arachnopeon
I Think the Tagged name is Wrong Its Suppose to be a P. Oranata "Blue Color Form" Not Sp. Blue...That is 2 Different Meanings. Its Only a Color Form of a P. Oranata Which is Known in The Hobby. And Sp. Blue is Another Meaning it Means
another Sub Specie.

Jquack530

Arachnosquire
I came across this when this thread first came about, and then forgot about it. Notice the P. ornata blue under the hanumavillasumica. Sorry if I violated any rule by posting this pic which is obviously not mine, and I didn't get permission to use.

Burchling

Arachnopeon
This is Zwicky. Named after the Zwicky 18 galaxy cluster... They have the same colors :) My other P. Ornata's name is Andromeda. I guess it's fair to say I name all my fringed ornamentals after galaxies. Albeit I only have two lolz. Anyway enough chitchat here's the goods:
Zwicky2.jpg Zwicky.jpg
The pictures are BIG bc Zwicky is only about 4" so... WHAM! ;)

Burchling

Arachnopeon
Thanks man! She's a looker alright, here's a good ventral shot of the "caution tape.":mask:
image.jpg
Gotta love those Poecies!!! Gorgeous T!
the flash kinda makes it white, but they're bright yellow... Duh ;)

At least I'm pretty sure it's a she, I'll know for sure soon enough. That's why I go for unisex names lolz

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
At least I'm pretty sure it's a she, I'll know for sure soon enough. That's why I go for unisex names lolz
You'll know its a female for a fact, if there isn't a dot on the ventral.

Here's a ventral shot of a confirmed male Ornata

image.jpg