P murinus questions

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
is this species arboreal or terrestrial? right now i am keeping a sling arboreal style. is this ok? does anyone have a good caresheet or advice?

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P.Murinus are members of the Poecilotheria family,right?If so,they are arboreal.

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
pandinus said:
btw, the sling is about 2".
IMO p. murinus are semi abroreal.. they're rather adaptive to the environment... u give it an abroreal setup, it's abroreal, u give it a terrestrial setup, they're terrestrial.. one thing i loke about pterinochilus species is that they build very nice web retreats! so need not worry about it.. just keep the tank as dry as posible, but of course u must put a water dish in, and watch out, it is very defensive and when it runs, u might not be able to catch it!

about the caresheet u asked for.. the search might provide u several good references, but if u need one,
http://www.centralpets.com/critterpages/insects/tarantulas/TAR5690.shtml
http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcaresheets/pspusumbarac.htm

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the substrate is slighty damp(just enough to darken the color), i just misted it. should i refrain from this in the future?

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i dont mist mine and he does fine so i would just make sure the water bowl is full unless u dont have one then mist it about once a day maybe at most just so it has water. about the P.Murinus are members of the Poecilotheria family thats not right.....i think im not sure but the pokies are a little but different then the obt lol but i guess u could say its close but i dont think it is. i do have a pokie and an obt and they arent alike. and yes they do adapt to any environment that u give the. so i guess they are 50/50 between aboreal and terrestrial
edit: mine obt is about 3-4 inches so i dont know if that couts for anything

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a bunch of P.murinus...keep them bone dry with a water dish...no misting and keep the substrate dry...bone dry....the pic you posted looks good...could use a meal or to, looks kinda thin, they are very easy to care for..good luck and enjoy..

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bpkid said:
P.Murinus are members of the Poecilotheria family,right?If so,they are arboreal.

Not a pokie.
Pterinochilus murinus

I like to provide a started burrow...
If you want more excitement, set up an arboreal habitat.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
she's feeding on a roachling right now, and i think i may throw another, depending on how she looks when she's done.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just let mine burrow and she seems to luv it, when she gets bigger maybe I'll try aboreal/terestrial setup.

Last edited:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine just made a bigger burrow, its really cool to watch him come in and out of it, but every now and again he will be up on the cage lid.

-Mattyb

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, it munched it's way through a roachling and it's starting on a cricket, so i guess it hasn't lost an appetite. :D

:worship: Thanx for all of your help, usumbara masters, i hope to join your rank soon. :worship: this is actually only my 3rd T (2nd if you dont count the one i am raising 4 shadowkat)

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
PapaRoacher said:
That made my day {D
I don't understand.I'm just settling into New World species,so I'm doing my best learning about Old Worlders.At least I made someone laugh :)

cdxrd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine is a sling, maybe an inch at most, and s/he is in a small container bout 4 or 5" square and about 2-3 inches high. S/he at this point has decided its a burrower and has a lovely 3 room suite under the substrate. Amazing species. :) Although an arboreal / terestrial setup sounds good to try.

For a sling of this size, a waterdish would be overkill I think. Or should I put in like a milk cap with water? or just mist?

gufobt

Arachnopeon
hey guys i have 3 obts ....a 4 inch a 3 inch and a 1 inch ...i noticed that babys like to burrow and as they grown up the like to climb ...i hope that helps

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey guys i have 3 obts ....a 4 inch a 3 inch and a 1 inch ...i noticed that babys like to burrow and as they grown up the like to climb ...i hope that helps
Ummm... that thread is eight years old... :)