P. murinus (OBT) Handling

KenD

Arachnosquire
I remember one guy who had a post saying he could tame centipedes. via handling. :rofl:
I don’t know what centipede owners would say about that. Nor do I understand reptile keeper who enjoy being bitten for views especially one guy I saw got bitten in the face.
I've heard that centipedes, in contrast to tarantulas, can be trained to accept handling, and might even be smart enough to learn to recognize their keeper. I have absolutely no experience of my own with 'pedes, though, nor the slightest recollection where I might've gotten that dubious piece of information from...

...could've been a voice in might for all I know - can't keep track of them all, and not ALL of them spout completely reasonable and absolutely sane really really awesomely great ideas...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I've heard that centipedes, in contrast to tarantulas, can be trained to accept handling, and might even be smart enough to learn to recognize their keeper. I have absolutely no experience of my own with 'pedes, though, nor the slightest recollection where I might've gotten that dubious piece of information from...

...could've been a voice in might for all I know - can't keep track of them all, and not ALL of them spout completely reasonable and absolutely sane really really awesomely great ideas...
yes I’ve heard of this I’m just skeptical.🧐
Perhaps people have done it.
I commented on a thread where some guy claimed he did this I just forgot where it was. Or the name.
I think I found it he attempted to socialize it

Last edited:

KenD

Arachnosquire
yes I’ve heard of this I’m just skeptical.🧐
Perhaps people have done it.
I commented on a thread where some guy claimed he did this I just forgot where it was. Or the name.
I think I found it he attempted to socialize it
I like the idea of it, and I'm intrigued by it, but like you I'm skeptical. Very skeptical. And even if it were proven to be true I'd never ever put my hand anywhere near a centipede 😨 I'm exceptionally fond of really, really bad ideas, and a sucker for punishment, but risking getting tagged by a centipede.. No way!

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
I've heard that centipedes, in contrast to tarantulas, can be trained to accept handling, and might even be smart enough to learn to recognize their keeper.
Sounds like another way centipedes are trying to escape their enclosures; by convincing us that they can be trusted to be handled!!!

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Never did understand the want to hold these animals.

But the world does seem to have a lot of people like this guy :bored:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

he pets it’s head while it’s eating :rofl: :wacky:
How can it be 16.5 inches wouldn’t that be a world record??

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Ya, we have terms for people like that here, but I don't want to be banned.

It is indeed probably the biggest one I have seen (a video of).

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I don't want to get banned for hating on someone's beloved pet but I once turned down a job relocation to the US Virgin Islands because of these things. I'm not even afraid of them, just didn't want to have to worry about my cats. Why on earth would someone hold this.

I'll just remind myself that someone out there thinks I'm nuts for having pet spiders

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire

I love centipedes, and this seems like such an unnecessary risk. I've never seen a Scolopendra gigantia for sale for anything under 300 USD. If I had one, it would be part of a breeding group with 5+ others in seperate, leaf-little covered enclosures and a 40-50ish gallon breeding tank for carefully witnessed mating attempts, not free-handing it out of a plastic bin.

This is like picking up an adult female T. seladonia. I know handling is bad in 99% of situations, but this one ticks me off the most because the species that this guy has would be great for captive breeding attempts and he is making stunt videos. I guess one positive of this is that it raises awareness of giant centipedes for the public, but the comments are mostly about how they are terrified of the thing, and how brave the guy is, but not trying to learn more about centipedes.