P. murinus (OBT) Handling

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Eegads... A serious bite from a mature OBT to a six year old? That would be pretty hardcore... My nephews don't even LOOK at my t's without my supervision when they come over. Handling is strictly out of the question.

Well, ER personnel need something to talk about around the water cooler too.

Pink-Poodle88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've never been bitten surprisingly and I hold my tarantulas on an almost daily basis. However, I generally only handle the ones that are nice. I've only handled P.murinus in the most dire of circumstances(for example, one climbing over the edge of its tank) and I wouldn't recommend doing it actively or regularly. It's your choice however, just be aware of the possible dangers to both you and your pet. I personally encourage handling by all means, though I have to admit I'm a bit reluctant to hold most the ones with bad reputations. Still though.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
kiddos

Um, Yeah If is was to hadle my Pookies or murinus I wouldn't even do it in the same room with the kids. And that is one water cooler joke that will not happen in association with my kids. LOL, They will never handle them. Just the smithi's.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Life is hard, but it's even harder if you're stupid

@ramalho If you aren't scared then why are these photos so blurry?? 🤣🤣🤣

I hope nothing bad happens to your tarantulas 😢

ramalho

Arachnopeon
I was just kidding and the camera I used was poor because these were taken years ago. All of my tarantulas are in good health and well taken care of. It is on rare occasion I actually hold them. I am definitely not scared of them and I am not stupid. I do not recommend anyone hold any type of tarantulas unless necessary. I know all of my t's temperaments very well.I have held them but mostly leave them be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I was just kidding and the camera I used was poor because these were taken years ago. All of my tarantulas are in good health and well taken care of. It is on rare occasion I actually hold them. I am definitely not scared of them and I am not stupid. I do not recommend anyone hold any type of tarantulas unless necessary. I know all of my t's temperaments very well.I have held them but mostly leave them be.
I'd be more impressed if you had photos of you free handling a green mamba. 🐍

Last edited:

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
No one here is scared of their tarantulas. We are concerned for their health, wellbeing and safety. Your pics didn’t tell us you aren’t scared of them, it said you were concerned more for how you look than for their safety. This is why the responses you are getting are rough.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I live for threat poses, I love them. Missed the photo recently of my vagans doing one. She never holds the pose long enough for me to snap a pic.

However last one I got was from my P. irminia. It's so awesome I have to share it again.

20230918_131909.jpg

She just recently molted as she's pretty big now. She was 5 inches in the photo.

It is rare for my T's to threat pose. When I do actually get one I'm in awe

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Speak for yourself, I have an Aphonopelma paloma who comes storming out of her burrow, biting the air, faster than my orifices can pucker
My Aphonopelma paloma will bite at anything that bothers her!
A little ball of fury
IMG_3013.jpeg

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Bite Reports

Actually after reading through the bite reports I am not sure that I will attempt to handle this species. However I think if i read the bite reports on any species that I might have the same apprehension
You're making the right choice. I see photos of people online handling lots of old worlds, but what you don't see is the miserable experiences when they get bit. Given that the spider gets no pleasure from it at all, and it's basically just playing Russian roulette, what's the point?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You're making the right choice. I see photos of people online handling lots of old worlds, but what you don't see is the miserable experiences when they get bit. Given that the spider gets no pleasure from it at all, and it's basically just playing Russian roulette, what's the point?
It’s the spread of misinformation, causing people to want to handle everything some even hold, aggressive, pets, and get bitten for views. I remember one guy who had a post saying he could tame centipedes. via handling. :rofl:
I don’t know what centipede owners would say about that. Nor do I understand reptile keeper who enjoy being bitten for views especially one guy I saw got bitten in the face.

Last edited:

Denn

Dipluridae Enthusiast
Old Timer
It’s the spread of misinformation, causing people to want to handle everything some even hold, aggressive, pets, and get bitten for views. I remember one guy who had a post saying he could tame centipedes. via handling. :rofl:
I don’t know what centipede owners would say about that. Nor do I understand reptile keeper who enjoy being bitten for views especially one guy I saw got bitten in the face.
I wouldn't hold my Scolopendra subspinipes (Vietnam Giant Centipede) even if you offered me 10k put it that way.