P. metallica ?

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm coming into a some extra $$ in a couple of weeks and I'm seriously considering getting a P. metallica. I would most likely got with a 1" sling since they are cheaper but I'm worried I would kill the little beast. I have 2 slings now, both Grammostola and they are doing great, but I have no experience with arboreal slings.

How delicate/hardy are pokie slings? would I be better off to get a regalis sling as my first pokie and see how I do? I can only get a few more T's and I figure I should have at least one awesome specimen that I really, really want.

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pokies in general are pretty hardy things,i spray mine about once a weekand keep in the tank a water bowl and adequate ventilation.As for P.metallica then i keep both mine the same as i do my regalis and most of the other pokies i have.Id suggest maybe you buy the regalis though just as its cheaper and seeing as its ya 1st aboreal u dont wanna lose all that money.Get a P.metallica later on after your used to the regalis maybe.Upto u

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It wouldn't be my first arboreal, just my first pokie. I have a pinktoe.
I'll have to think on it, it probably would be best to go with a regalis first.
I was also thinking about using the $$ to set up a 75 gallon aquarium, if I got with the aquarium I could still get the regalis, dilemma solved:)

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
waldo said:
It wouldn't be my first arboreal, just my first pokie. I have a pinktoe.
I'll have to think on it, it probably would be best to go with a regalis first.
I was also thinking about using the $$ to set up a 75 gallon aquarium, if I got with the aquarium I could still get the regalis, dilemma solved:)

A 75 gallon aquarium would be way too big. Unless you meant you were just gonna set one up for something else and I just misunderstood. In your situation I would go with the regalis first. Make sure you feel comfortable before you spend all that cash.

In my experience the Pokies were easy to care for, but then of course mine died one day for what appeared to be no reason at all. If you do get a metallica post a pic ;)

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the 75 gal would be for fish not a T:) sorry for the confusion. I'm just trying to decide what to do with an extra $300. Too many choices.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
waldo said:
the 75 gal would be for fish not a T:) sorry for the confusion. I'm just trying to decide what to do with an extra $300. Too many choices.

Yea, I thought thats what you meant. Just wanted ot be sure. i would do the regalis and the fish. I miss having aquariums so I'll live vicariously through you. :D

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience, Poecilotheria slings are very hardy and easy to raise...out of the several species I've had as slings (regalis, fasciata, rufilata, ornata, miranda, formosa) I've never had one die on me. From everyone I've talked to who has worked with metallica slings, they are equally as hardy.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my experience many expensive spiderlings are killed due to over-nursing, due to fear of loosing that expensive priced spider. My best advise is to care for them like you would care for a spider you got as a gift, laid back - funny enough those spiders always survive ;-) So keep it like any regalis, they are that easy ;-)

Regards
Søren

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm getting a metallica s'ling tomorrow (!!!WOOT{D:D{DWOOT!!!) and have heard they are very hardy just like regalis (which I already have) so time will tell!

strongboy4

Arachnopeon
easy to grow

I´ve got 2 P. metallicas bought as slings 1 year ago. In my opinion they are really easy to grow up. But: They need it very warm (27° C, not to cold in the night) and a dry place in one part and a lightly wet place in the other part of the box. So they can chose. First I had them in a cricket-box with soil from the garden. They grew up very fast and are good eaters. I think you can try it....
Good luck! (and sorry for my bad English)

Alissa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to agree with Søren on killing spiders through over-nursing. If you can take care of a sensitive avic, you can take care of a pokie. It's hard to put all your eggs in one basket though.

Personally, I would go with the P. regalis and the fishtank.

I am a huge, huge fan of planted aquaria. I was so intimidated when starting out but it's been easier than I thought and I've learned a lot. I love it because its a combination of art, chemistry, gardening, and animal husbandry. There are always things you can do to change/improve the look of your tank, but its not high maintenance at all if you set it up right.

Get a huge, cheap tank on craigslist and set up a gorgeous planted tank for rainbowfish or discus. *drool*

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
strongboy4 said:
I´ve got 2 P. metallicas bought as slings 1 year ago. In my opinion they are really easy to grow up. But: They need it very warm (27° C, not to cold in the night) and a dry place in one part and a lightly wet place in the other part of the box. So they can chose. First I had them in a cricket-box with soil from the garden. They grew up very fast and are good eaters. I think you can try it....
Good luck! (and sorry for my bad English)
I keep mine at room temp and this can range from 65-80 but generally on the cool 65-70 range.... never had a problem.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I gave up on the fish tank idea, too much work. I'm getting 7 new T's instead, including 2 pokies. I should be able to put in my order next week.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh yeah, I'm planning on:
A. versicolor
A. geniculata
P. regalis
P. pederseni
P. irminia
P. cambridgei
and H. incei

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice choices. ;)
BTW, P. metallica isn't any more or less difficult to care for as a s'ling than any other poec of which all are pretty hardy.

silverpenny

Arachnopeon
waldo said:
A. versicolor
A. geniculata
P. regalis
P. pederseni
P. irminia
P. cambridgei
and H. incei
"It's like you were INSIDE my head....." :eek:

Easyout58

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
waldo said:
A. versicolor
A. geniculata
P. regalis
P. pederseni
P. irminia
P. cambridgei
and H. incei

Nice... I'm jealous. So far I've survived my OBTs. I think it's time move to pokies.

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Easyout58 said:
Nice... I'm jealous. So far I've survived my OBTs. I think it's time move to pokies.
You're in for a nice surprise if you think Pokies can even compare to the crazyness of an OBT! :D