P Metallica sac

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So last night I was browsing Gumtree for exotics in my local area and seen two P Metallica up for sale one female one male. The chap only wanted £130 for both and the enclosure but I still knocked him down to £115 but I was ready to snap his hand off at £130. So I got to his house and once I seen them I couldn't get out fast enough. So I pretty much went to bed after I got them home. So this morning I went to work and got rained off, I wanted to get home and rehouse them anyway. It's a tatty enclosure and needs a clean. About ten minutes ago I was just shining the torch inside just sizing things up and my insides jumped up with excitement, what I was shining my torch on was an egg sac!
I did notice that the female has left what is her supposed territory and the male has left his. So she has abandoned the sac?
I'm guessing the sac is a dud. I have no idea how long it's been in there.
My instinct tells me to pull it out and incubate it.

uploadfromtaptalk1439206014347.jpg
That's the male to the right

For some reason my phone won't allow me to upload any more pictures.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
I've never seen two P Metallica housed together like that, from my knowledge they aren't communal. Judging by the fact that they're housed together I'm going to assume it could be a viable sac, or was one atleast. She may have very well abandoned the sac due to stress. Is the male mature? If he's not then there's no way the sac is viable, unless she's had other housemates. Personally I'd rehouse them separately, judging off the P Metallica female behaviour I've seen your boy is lucky. But, definitely take the sac and incubate it looks plump, dry and well maintained, hope you get some babies.

Last edited:

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks to me like you may very well be in the P metallica business .I would incubate to be on safe side, congrats on the buy nice looking T's and big sac

Do you think the sac was already there ,or she layed it after you got home with them
To me it looks like been there while which would be a good thing :)

Last edited:

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont think she laid it last night. It's stained brown, that's either the eco earth or its bad eggs. Either way it's been there for a while. I just separated them and got the sac out. Check it out uploadfromtaptalk1439212121452.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1439212138644.jpg

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Both of them came out easy, neither were skittish or defensive
Check the girl out also. She's beautiful uploadfromtaptalk1439212234205.jpg

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Make a small incision, check the contents and decide what to do from there on. If they look good, seal it up and roll it 3-4 times a day until you have some EWLs.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow the orignal owner didn't know he had a sac. Now that is the way I want to start buying :)

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Make a small incision, check the contents and decide what to do from there on. If they look good, seal it up and roll it 3-4 times a day until you have some EWLs.
Does it really need to be rolled? I was under the impression that arboreals made fixed egg sacs and only terrestrials rolled them or is that not true for all?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Does it really need to be rolled? I was under the impression that arboreals made fixed egg sacs and only terrestrials rolled them or is that not true for all?
Whether or not a tarantula lays a fixed sac depends on the species, not whether they're arboreal or terrestrial.
P. metallica does not make fixed sacs.

Speaking of which...
OP, are you sure that's a sac? Your pic looks like a wet cotton ball.

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's a phantom sac, I pulled it open to see if there were any embryos but all i got was this uploadfromtaptalk1439217561277.jpg

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Looks like a cotton ball... Doesn't look like sac webbing to me.
Besides, phantom sacs still have eggs, they are just unfertilized.

cold blood

Staff member
OP, are you sure that's a sac? Your pic looks like a wet cotton ball.
I thought the same when I saw it....looks like the previous owner was using a cotton ball as a water dish.

So, is the male actually mature?

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now I think previous owner stole the egg sac and gave her a cotton ball and is secretly selling off the slings

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah I like them to, I'm thinking going be a success with her she has had it over 2 weeks now

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yup, I think it is cotton wool! I feel pretty stupid it looked exactly like an egg sack, even when opening it felt strong like webbing. Hopefully my next post will be of little embryos or eggs with legs. Thanks to all that were keen to give advice. Sorry for wasting anyone's time I'm a dumbo

---------- Post added 08-10-2015 at 04:26 PM ----------

Now I think previous owner stole the egg sac and gave her a cotton ball and is secretly selling off the slings
Lol I wouldn't even be mad I would more than happily to buy some off him, he would probably sell them a £1 a sling going on the price he sold the pair to me

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Had me fooled lol course I'm looking on a phone for internet and my eyes getting old .I was wonder why the seller didn't know he had a sac lol, atleast don't have to drink from Cotton ball anymore