P. Metallica Chew Through Screen?

Elyse

Arachnopeon
Hello spider people =)

I was wondering if anyone has heard or experienced a tarantula escaping an enclosure through a (non-metal) screen?

My tarantula enclosures (LP and metallica) have screens that are not made of metal and I'm wondering if a tarantula could "chew" through it if it wanted to?

I've used some of the screen for my mealworms and the beetles can chew through...

Thanks =)

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
They can chew through metal screen, I don't see why they couldn't chew through the weaker stuff if they really wanted to.
Although I've had numerous tarantulas trying to pull apart woven metal "window" screen, I've never had one keep at it until they've busted out.
That doesn't mean it can't happen though.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I've never experienced it, mostly because any mesh I have is metal, but it can definitely happen.

Elyse

Arachnopeon
Thanks Hobo and LordWaffle,

Really!!! They can chew through metal screen?!? Well, I'm creating a new enclosure for my Metallica very soon out of a large metal and glass lantern thing, so I'll figure out a different way of covering the vent holes...The lanterns hanging near my bed....I wouldn't want a Metallica to crawl in for a snuggle!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had an A. metallica who would crawl upside down on the screen top of its exo terra tank, and kept pressing its fangs against the metal, and then would proceed to bite through it. It never really did much damage, as the fangs went right through the holes, and never got stuck or anything, and after a while it just stopped doing it. Sometimes they're weird like that.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Yeah no more screens for me; through the years I've had some break outs and many attempted breakouts through screen mesh (and one through a kritterkeeper lid). Now I just drill many small holes on my enclosures for ventilation.

-JohnD.

Elyse

Arachnopeon
It's good to know that they can do this, I've just been lucky that my T's are content in their enclosure presently and haven't tried to escape the little homes they've built. When I re-house them the non-metal screen will likely be a problem since they might want to find their home again......and they're not small spiders anymore.......

It amazes me how smart these little critters are.

---------- Post added 05-25-2014 at 12:07 AM ----------

I have a thought- It's probably silly, but I'll ask it anyway...You know how T's make their own little territories in the enclosure? They make a borrow or webbed up area that they return to all the time? Well, say if they have escaped the enclosure and run about the room, what are the chances that they will return to the home they built in the enclosure?

I feed spiders outside on my porch...and theeey return to their little homes.....and come out and hang around their food dish each day...(normal people feed birds...)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's good to know that they can do this, I've just been lucky that my T's are content in their enclosure presently and haven't tried to escape the little homes they've built. When I re-house them the non-metal screen will likely be a problem since they might want to find their home again......and they're not small spiders anymore.......

It amazes me how smart these little critters are.

---------- Post added 05-25-2014 at 12:07 AM ----------

I have a thought- It's probably silly, but I'll ask it anyway...You know how T's make their own little territories in the enclosure? They make a borrow or webbed up area that they return to all the time? Well, say if they have escaped the enclosure and run about the room, what are the chances that they will return to the home they built in the enclosure?

I feed spiders outside on my porch...and theeey return to their little homes.....and come out and hang around their food dish each day...(normal people feed birds...)
I feel like they would just make another one. I had an OBT escape when it was a sling, and I eventually found it in a pretty big tube-web it had built underneath a bookshelf.

friendttyy

Arachnolord
I use plastic containers and no one tried to chew the lid. Maybe mine is just has more manners than certain ones :p. But yes they can if they want to and if they are eager to and you don't find out enough. We might see them as tiny useless things but they can do anything they want to. Metal meshes aren't so nice, well at least I don't like them. They seem to rust in my tarantulas cupboard. Only my P.Regalis which got rehoused into my P.Fasciata's old enclosure has it and it has rust all over. However the tarantulas fangs aren't made out of dimonds or stone so it will get damaged from chewing the mesh and/or plastic or what ever you are using.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We might see them as tiny useless things but they can do anything they want to.
I don't think anyone on here sees them as this. This is a tarantula forum after all, I'd assume that most of the people on here like tarantulas.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Mine are double tanked. Even if they manage to chew through the metal mesh lid of their enclosure they still have to again chew through the lid of the larger KK that they are housed in.