P. crassipes in the UK?

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
Just watching a video from Whitey Exotics on YouTube, who I think is from the UK (correct me if I'm wrong) and he was unboxing a Phlogius crassipes. While I remember reading somewhere that there were breeding populations of a few Australian species overseas, are they particularly common in the UK, or elsewhere for that matter? Would love to know your experiences with them or other Australian species, husbandry techniques you've used and just stories about keeping these particular OWs.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Not sure about Phlogius crassipes, but Selenocosmia crassipes are readily available in Europe these days. I´ve seen slings go for as little as 7.50 EUR from Polish sellers.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah that's them. They got re-classified a while ago
It's always the same story, like for Haplopelma lividum > Cyriopagopus lividus. By who, I ask? Did Mr. Gianni Sposato, one of the best genus Selenocosmia expert, was involved?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Yeah that's them. They got re-classified a while ago, though many breeders seem to use selenocosmia still :) @TownesVanZandt
Ah, thanks for this information :) When it comes to "Aussie" tarantulas I don´t actually have a clue like I would with African or American species :embarrassed: I think most people who keeps them here will house them like "Haplos" (to use another outdated term) i.e. by housing them in terrestrial enclosures with a lot of slightly moist substrate, a starter burrow and a water dish.

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
It's always the same story, like for Haplopelma lividum > Cyriopagopus lividus. By who, I ask? Did Mr. Gianni Sposato, one of the best genus Selenocosmia expert, was involved?
Haven't seen Sposato's name pop up but he might have been involved. I think it might have been Robert Raven, but don't quote me on that.

No even sure they were properly classified, or if "Phlogius" is just a temporary generic name, because they didn't suit being in Selenocosmia

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you check out the world spider catalogue link I posted further up, the full history is disclosed:

the resurrection of Phlogius Simon, 1887 by Schmidt, 1995k: 9 was rejected by Raven, 2000a: 570, who also placed Chilocosmia Schmidt & von Wirth, 1992b: 9, type C. dichromata Schmidt & von Wirth, 1992 and Selenopelma Schmidt & Krause, 1995a: 22, type S. kovariki Schmidt & Krause, 1995 as junior synonyms (see also Schmidt, 2002c: 3, Schmidt, 2015a, Schmidt, 2015c); West, Nunn & Hogg, 2012: 23 placed the type species of Chilocosmia (but not the other species) in Orphnaecus instead. Schmidt & Barensteiner, 2015b report an unnamed species of the genus from Borneo.

basin79

ArachnoGod
TSS have unsexed juveniles in now. I used to own a female. Stupidly sold her when I decided to sell most of my inverts. Gorgeous T's and good webbers.

This was my lass.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
TSS have unsexed juveniles in now. I used to own a female. Stupidly sold her when I decided to sell most of my inverts. Gorgeous T's and good webbers.

This was my lass.

I think I know which T I'm getting as a display :D even if it turns out to be a pet hole at least there might be nice webbing

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think I know which T I'm getting as a display :D even if it turns out to be a pet hole at least there might be nice webbing
I bought that lass as a little unsexed sling or juvenile. 100% pet hole whilst small. Then once she hit that size she was out more.

To quote the lover of all things plastic surgery, "If I could turn back time" I'd still have her. And a few other inverts I sold.