P. Cavimanus escaped!

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all,I was wondering how long could a P. cavimanus live in my house? I had one in a deli cup to be shipped,it popped the top and escaped( I left the room for 1 hour)! I have 9 year old kids,annd a dog,I know they aint deadly or anything,but how long does anyone think it could live in a dry house without water? My girlfriend is demanding I call the exterminator! I have many scorpions,including some level 5 deathstalkers. This was a VERY large cavimanus, and it escaped about an hour ago and I have completely tore up my house looking to no avail.Any suggestions anyone? If I cant find it today,I have to get what bugs I have out because my G/F is calling the orkin man tommorow.I dont want the little booger to die for my mistake.I even moved my refridgerator!

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try using a blacklight or something and looking for the glowing little bugger?

Sorry to hear, hope you can find him!

~Fred

GrungeRock

Arachnopeon
Odds are your scorpion went to the darkest smallest place he could squeeze into and is chilling there. I'd guess he's still in the same room, just think about what places would look like an ideal hiding spot to a scorpion. As for how long it could live.... scorpions can go for quite a while without food or water. Also, unless the exterminator finds him... scorpions are survivors, so the exterminator might have no effect whatsover, then again he might, I don't know much about the effects of pesticides on scorpions other than that, they have been tried to keep scorpions out of houses in arizona and other such places where scorpions frequently end up in houses, and I don't think they've had too much of an effect. In the meantime, check your shoes and other places the scorpion might have gotten into, Pandinus species aren't usually too big on climbing, but non the less, be carefull.

good luck,

-D.G.

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Definately use a black light, you probably wont have a huge amount of luck otherwise. Search from an expanding area outward from where it escaped. They are generally edge walkers (whatever you wanna call it, they generally follow walls/sides/etc) and whilst following its probable paths search for ANY spaces (including vents that might have too large a gap) that it can fit through (they are pretty good at squeezing through spaces, not quites as good as a T but close)
They can live a long time, but either way, I wouldnt call the exterminator. Its pricey, it can have a long term effect (possibly killing the inverts u saved) and may not even work.
Unless your g/f is severly allergic (has to carry around an epi pen), tell her to suck it up.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well that sucks Charlie, In the same room I would setup a space heater or something and have no other heat in the room, the scorpion will sense the heat and head toward it. Good Luck, hope ya find it.

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well,the bad thing is it was in a LARGE furnished basement,with sofas,beds,boxes, toys, and just ALL kinds of stuff stored.There is literately a bajillion places for it to hide. I dont care I just dont want it to get my kids. I am going to devide it off and go through everything this weekend. If I can keep my G/F from calling the exterminator.She is really having a problem with this...

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm...dunno about that but when my spinifer escaped, it went just about 2 meters away...hid behind a chair that was close to the wall...

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yah, I'm thinking it will probably stay in the first good hiding spot it comes across. Definitely start looking close to the enclosure and work your way out, and don't assume any little nook or cranny is too small!

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
haha, there seems to be an epidemic of missing scorps lately...hope you find it...remember its always gonna be in the last place you thought of...

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
...cuz after u think of it and find it you stop looking. but yea, its a pandinus, Turn off all the lights in ur house. Bust out a black light, Search Dark damp places since its tropical and will look for humidity and darkness.

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try trapping it to, Get a towel, run hot water over it and get it nice and damp, shine a heat lamp on the site, might owrk.