P Cancerides is dying

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello all,

I am in need of some advice for my female Haitian Brown. She is near death and I don't know how or why she has become ill.

Several weeks ago she stopped eating and webbed herself up in her pot. Her abdomen started to turn black so I assumed she was in premolt. I checked on her daily, made sure her water was clean, no mold in the tank, no mites, etc. Several days ago I noticed her abdomen started to shrink slightly (she has always had a fat back). I just figured she was very close to a molt so I left her undisturbed. Then last night I found her in a death curl and her abdomen has shrunk in size considerably. I inspected her thoroughly and put her in ICU with a dish of clean water but she absolutely refuses water. She is very wobbly and weak. I haven't seen any suspicious discharge or any other sign of an infection besides the weakness and refusal to drink. I know she may not last long but I was hoping someone might be able to come up with any ideas to help. :(

Anansi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you bought her in a pet store...maybe she was wild caught and came with a parasite...One time I bought a WC Zebra and the same thing happened to it...It molted twice in my care and was nice and round and then just deteriorated rapidly one day...if its CB, then wow dont know what to tell you other then that sucks...

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am sorry to hear this Diane. Age comes to mind...was she a captive bred individual? Asking because of maybe a parasite condition that may have existed before you had her, even though there's no discharges, etc. You're doing the right thing with the ICU. I sure hope for the best for her. :(

Just to let you know, I'm still working on a sweet little T for you :)

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I don't think she's doing any better in ICU so I put her back in her tank so she can have familiar surroundings. I increased the temp to about 85 degrees and I'm watching the humidity but I doubt she will pull through.

I did get her from a pet store and it is a possibility she was wild caught. I've also considered she may be pretty old as well. Either way, she's had a comfortable life here. That's all I can hope to give her.

Elson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that.. what's her size? did you ask the pet store for her actual age?

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cancerides...

I too had a Phormictopus cancerides that did this too. I surmise your Haitian Brown is of old age. I am sorry for your impending loss. :(

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that.. what's her size? did you ask the pet store for her actual age?

She is just about 6". I think the last measurement I took of her, she was about 6 to 6.25" so it's very possible she is quite old. The pet stores never really know how old the Ts are unless they have them from the size of a sling. My other girl molted a couple of months ago and she is now over 6". I was hoping to have 2 beautiful black Ts after this one molted.

Randomosity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about it.....good that you're trying to make her as comfortable as possible though.