P. antinous ‘Steely Blue Leg’ vs. P. antinous ‘Big Black’

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Anybody have these two variants? How exactly are they different? To my understanding the ‘Steely Blue Leg’ male has blue legs, but does that not occur with ‘Big Black’?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Here are the variants of Pamphobeteus in the hobby.

Bolivia -

Pamphobeteus antinous

Peru -

Pamphobeteus cf. antinous (Big Black)

Pamphobeteus cf. antinous (Purple Earth)

Pamphobeteus cf. antinous (Lightning Blue)

Pamphobeteus cf. antinous (Iquitos)

Steely blue is just the common name for Pamphobeteus cf. antinous (Big Black)

Its the mature males that get the blue femurs, giving the name.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Here are the variants of Pamphobeteus in the hobby.

Bolivia -

Pamphobeteus antinous

Peru -

Pamphobeteus cf. antinous (Big Black)

Pamphobeteus cf. antinous (Purple Earth)

Pamphobeteus cf. antinous (Lightning Blue)

Pamphobeteus cf. antinous (Iquitos)

Its the mature males that get the blue femurs, giving the name.
Hm, didn’t know that, thanks! Have the other ones, besides Big Black, made it to the hobby?

boina

Lady of the mites
Are you absolutely sure? Because Ben Weber had both for sale simultanously at one time and he usually knows his stuff when it comes to Pamphos.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Are you absolutely sure? Because Ben Weber had both for sale simultanously at one time and he usually knows his stuff when it comes to Pamphos.
antinous ‘steely blue’ & antinous ‘big black’ at the same time? Are ypu sure it wasnt ‘lightning blue’?

I know he knows his stuff. I am searching FB to see if he has posted Pamphobeteus antinous ‘steely blue’ but cant find anything.

boina

Lady of the mites
antinous ‘steely blue’ & antinous ‘big black’ at the same time? Are ypu sure it wasnt ‘lightning blue’?

I know he knows his stuff. I am searching FB to see if he has posted Pamphobeteus antinous ‘steely blue’ but cant find anything.
Well, it could have been 'lightning blue' :sorry:. I'm sure about the blue part but I can't remember exactly what blue...

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I don't know, I purchased Kira as a "P. antinous/Peruvian Steely Blue" from TSS, the only time I've seen them advertised as "Big Black" in a sales list is on Mark Harrison's FB page, might have seen "Iquitos" mentioned before, never even heard of the other two.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I don't know, I purchased Kira as a "P. antinous/Peruvian Steely Blue" from TSS, the only time I've seen them advertised as "Big Black" in a sales list is on Mark Harrison's FB page, might have seen "Iquitos" mentioned before, never even heard of the other two.
Yeah. Mine are from TSS import too. Peruvian Steely Blue is just the common name.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I had a Pamphobeteus Sp 2 Ecuador (that’s what they were called back then) that passed away a few months ago. I wonder if the name has updated?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I had a Pamphobeteus Sp 2 Ecuador (that’s what they were called back then) that passed away a few months ago. I wonder if the name has updated?
Those are completely different from the antinous complex

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The name remains sp. ‘south ecuador 2’ or ‘south ecuador II’