Overhauling my super worm colony

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Because my superworm colony has become infested with pantry moths and I can't get rid of them no matter how many things I do currently (because it's been going on too long) I have start over... which frustrates me in a lot of ways.... but it's necessary, I cannot sell safely from the colony and am losing a lot of the new babies. So I will be freezing and throwing out all that is currently in there, including insects, and cleaning with a watered down bleach solution. I will buy fresh super worms after finishing the cleaning out and then laying down a new substrate, and pupating the majority of them. I plan to keep the clean colony in my bedroom since the pantry moths are no longer an issue inside the house, only in the garage. Hate the bastard creatures. Honestly I don't hate a lot of insects, even the ants in my house I have a strange respect for and hate having to poison them (though I do because if I let them go unchecked they become dangerous to my other animals), but the pantry moths... they are just annoying.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
J
Because my superworm colony has become infested with pantry moths and I can't get rid of them no matter how many things I do currently (because it's been going on too long) I have start over... which frustrates me in a lot of ways.... but it's necessary, I cannot sell safely from the colony and am losing a lot of the new babies. So I will be freezing and throwing out all that is currently in there, including insects, and cleaning with a watered down bleach solution. I will buy fresh super worms after finishing the cleaning out and then laying down a new substrate, and pupating the majority of them. I plan to keep the clean colony in my bedroom since the pantry moths are no longer an issue inside the house, only in the garage. Hate the bastard creatures. Honestly I don't hate a lot of insects, even the ants in my house I have a strange respect for and hate having to poison them (though I do because if I let them go unchecked they become dangerous to my other animals), but the pantry moths... they are just annoying.
Just curious if you had used the pheromone traps for the moths. I had an infestation of these some years ago, and the with the traps, I completely eradicated them.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have used the traps, but I can't seem to kill them off fast enough with them, how long did it take (I just started using the pheromone traps in larger numbers the passed month or two)? I also have some wild spiders who I have been encouraging mother to keep in the garage right now because they are being helpful cut down on the numbers. I also squish any I can find XD

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Try freezing any grain based food you use in the substrate and for feeding. I used to have outbreaks that came on the Parrot food till I froze it for about 2-3 weeks. the eggs of the moths come in on it even the processed stuff.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Try freezing any grain based food you use in the substrate and for feeding. I used to have outbreaks that came on the Parrot food till I froze it for about 2-3 weeks. the eggs of the moths come in on it even the processed stuff.
The entire substrate is grainbased .____. I mean we have pretty much killed them off in the rest of the house because of how we store things they live in now. But... The one thing I can't kill them in is the substrate being used now without killing off the insects etc.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
The entire substrate is grainbased .____. I mean we have pretty much killed them off in the rest of the house because of how we store things they live in now. But... The one thing I can't kill them in is the substrate being used now without killing off the insects etc.
freeze it before use every time

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Oh XD lol I do now, but now there it's something I have to fix with the current set up and kill off the current moths in my garage... so >.< I just am frustrated with it now. I make my own substrate for them in a way and food/gutload. But I don't have to worry about it being in the food any more. Apparently they can't get in mason jars except maybe 1% of the time if I forget to tighten it enough. But usually you notice before you feed it off... it's just *slams head against wall* a constant battle currently... need to get more traps for sure... horrible little creatures.