Over fed my OBT sling? (~1")

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I gave my OBT a dead cricket (I dismembered it for him). It was the smallest cricket I had, yet it was still as big as the spider and slightly fatter. I put it in there last night and this afternoon he is still eating it. Should I try to remove it from him? He's still got a hold on it and I know this will be troublesome if I do try to remove the food. He's extremely fast.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Once OBTs are full they stop eating.. I got 14 slings im sure yours is fine :)
one of my slings ate a cricket bigger then it 2 days ago... vicously bite the crickets neck & dragged in into its burrow !!! such cool TS!!

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You'll be fine. I mean, slings don't really get obese. Just wait a little longer until you feed it next if you're concerned that it ate too much.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
My LP is fat, so dont worry about it :p

I tend to give him choice. I throw a cricket and a meal worm in there and whichever he doesn't start nomming I take out. I do this purely cuz he did not eat for quite a while and i was worrying.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
That's good to know.Thanks everyone! I'll start getting mealworms when I have more T's. Definitely when I get an LP. Hmm, can't decide, LP or GBB? They both sound awesome.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
I had a GBB sling but it died :(.

RIP wee guy.

Heres my LP (again, the choice of food was purely cuz I worried, he hadn';t eaten for AGES, he decided to eat the cricket head so the meal worm and cricket bum were removed :p)

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally prefer LPs, but I've never had a GBB...
Still, LPs are amazing just for their size.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I had a GBB sling but it died :(.

RIP wee guy.

Heres my LP (again, the choice of food was purely cuz I worried, he hadn';t eaten for AGES, he decided to eat the cricket head so the meal worm and cricket bum were removed :p)
Beautiful spiders! Sorry to hear about your GBB. What happened?

---------- Post added 12-24-2011 at 03:30 PM ----------

I personally prefer LPs, but I've never had a GBB...
Still, LPs are amazing just for their size.
Yes, that's one of the reasons I want one. I read/heard they are much easier to take care of than some other large species like the T. blondi and T. stirmi who are both hard to breed (increasing price) and prone to both illness, mites and flies (if wc). Also, they need an abnormally high humidity. LP's may not get as large, but I am good with "close enough".

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You'll be fine. I mean, slings don't really get obese. Just wait a little longer until you feed it next if you're concerned that it ate too much.
When i started this hobby I lost a B. smithi sling because I overfed it, and sadly I witnessed the dying process of the sling and I couldn't do anything. It was 1.5", you may regard it a sling or a very young juvenile. After the last supper, it just kept pressing its mouthparts on the wall and fluid came out from its mouth as if it vomited. Suddenly i saw the connection between the abdomen and the cephalothorax elongated greatly and the spider stopped moving. I checked it, and it was dead. I waited 7 days and hoped some miracles happened but it's plain dead in a death curl. Caresheets etc are not always correct and I did learn a hard lesson - at least its death made me refrain from overfeeding my rest B. smithi and B. auratum slings.

Some species won't stop eating but many old world slings would stop when they are full.

Last edited:

vickywild

Arachnoknight
I really don't know. He was fine, then he wasn't. And a month or so before that I had a G.Pulchra sling die. That, however, was due to a fall. The LP has been alive for 3 months in my care now, so phew :).

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When i started this hobby I lost a B. smithi sling because I overfed it, and sadly I witnessed the dying process of the sling and I couldn't do anything. It was 1.5", you may regard it a sling or a very young juvenile. After the last supper, it just kept pressing its mouthparts on the wall and fluid came out from its mouth as if it vomited. Suddenly i saw the connection between the abdomen and the cephalothorax elongated greatly and the spider stopped moving. I checked it, and it was dead. I waited 7 days and hoped some miracles happened but it's plain dead in a death curl. Caresheets etc are not always correct and I did learn a hard lesson - at its death made me refrain from overfeeding my rest B. smithi and B. auratum slings.

Some species won't stop eating but many old world slings would stop when they are full.
So sorry to hear that. Sounds completely agonizing, especially for someone new to the hobby...

Last edited:

Slevin

Arachnosquire
I really don't know. He was fine, then he wasn't. And a month or so before that I had a G.Pulchra sling die. That, however, was due to a fall. The LP has been alive for 3 months in my care now, so phew :).
I recently had a .75 GBB sling randomly die on me. Had it for about a week, it moved around and seemed perfectly healthy. Then one day it walked over to the damp side of the enclosure, death curled and died. Abdomen was plump, no lesions or injuries.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Yup that sounds identical to what happened to "the babe" too! So frustrating cuz I'd have loved a GBB. I'll grab a sub adult at some point :)!

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
When i started this hobby I lost a B. smithi sling because I overfed it
So, should I try to wrestle the cricket away from him? It's been holding on to it for the last 5 hours and who knows how long it was eating it beforehand.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, should I try to wrestle the cricket away from him? It's been holding on to it for the last 5 hours and who knows how long it was eating it beforehand.
I say no. How many times larger would you call the cricket compared to the sling?

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I say no. How many times larger would you call the cricket compared to the sling?
I threw in two legs (which he didn't touch) and the back end of the cricket. I have had these for about a week and they were very well fed. Carrots, green beans and crushed dog food and this cricket was plump. I would have to say it was much fatter but the length of the back end was about the same length as the prosoma and opisthosoma together.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I ended up taking it out. He wasn't 1/6 finished after at least 7 hours and I noticed his opisthosoma was considerably larger than last night. He's fat and slow at the moment, so retrieving the body parts was easier than I expected. I'll try to go Petsmart and get some of their small crickets this week.