Our office receptionist is terrified of frogs.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And how did I find this out? I caught a little froggie inside of our building, and went to show it to her. She screeched, jumped out of her chair, and hid behind the wall in the other room. Oops.

Anyway, I now have this little frog in a container next to me. I'm pretty sure he's a gray tree frog (Hyla versicolor or Hyla chrysoscelis). Can these be kept in captivity fairly easily, or would I be better off releasing him? Cute little hopper... I'd love to add him to the family.

Rex Libris

Arachnopeon
Yes, he can be kept in captivity easily. But yes, you'd be better off releasing him, because the noise level from that tiny frog is shocking, and what is lovely to hear on an evening walk is shrill and infuriatingly loud in the house. Though I understand it is only the males who peep.

skilletsteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
And how did I find this out? I caught a little froggie inside of our building, and went to show it to her. She screeched, jumped out of her chair, and hid behind the wall in the other room. Oops.

Anyway, I now have this little frog in a container next to me. I'm pretty sure he's a gray tree frog (Hyla versicolor or Hyla chrysoscelis). Can these be kept in captivity fairly easily, or would I be better off releasing him? Cute little hopper... I'd love to add him to the family.

Very Easy to keep in captivity. Most do fine at room temperature or just a little above if you wanna provide a heat source. Make sure it keep it fairly moist in there. For one frog maybe a 5 gallon tank would be good, 10 gallon would be fine for 2 or 3. They can eat pretty much anything that will fit in their mouth but a good rule of thumb is the length of the food shouldn't be longer than the width of the frogs mouth. crickets seem to work well, gut load them and dust them with a supplement every two or three feedings. Make sure to include some things to climb on and I think that's it.

Here are my guys, 2 hyla chrsoscelis and one hyla versicolor.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
H. versicolor should be a piece of cake to keep.

My favorite native frog for sure. I have not kept these personally, but everyone I know has had no problems.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I got my little one home and, after a trip to the pet store for setup supplies, got him in his new home. He looks fairly happy. Has been exploring the floor, branches, and plants. I have him in a large KK turned on end (he's still small...could fit on a quarter or so...so I think the size is perfect for now). Think I should cover some of the holes in the lid to keep it extra humid in there? Or would daily substrate wetting be alright? Also, how big do these guys get?

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have not seen one over 2" svl.

I would use a hygrometer and shoot for about 80% humidity, but a bit less would be fine. Trial and error until you find a combo of misting and ventilation that works. My humidity is usually 60-80% in the animal room, and I would use an open screen top and mist lightly once a day for starters.

Hope this helps. Also there are a ton of care sheets online, and try some of the frog forums.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know a lady who has that phobia...it apparently started when she was little a big tree frog jumped on her face and people could not pull it off. I'm not sure what to do but even the mention of frogs makes her freak out,