Ornithoctoninae care and info

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Anyone have any pics of O. Sp. malthai? Juvie and adult. Are they true fossorial or like to be arboreal. I have one I thought was c lividus but am being told it is O. Malthai. It did burrow and acted as fossorial for a while and now closed up its burrow and is always on top substrate. Need to rehouse it and want to make sure I do it right for the species it is. Thoughts?
View attachment 336647
I had one several years back, one of the easiest ways to tell if it really is a Malthai is true O. malthai make trap doors at the mouth of their burrow.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
Does anyone know of true O. Sp. Maltai available in the US right now? I would kill for a few in my collection again.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
I know that this is old, but does anyone keep Ornithoctoninae sp. Vietnam Silver and know whether they are more fossorial than arboreal? Thank you :)
I agree with the Grym Reaper, since my homegirl Chanthavong, has a few of these where she lives in Vietnam. They tend to be pet holes when given enough substrate for burrowing, however, when there isn't enough, they try to scoot what substrate they have around and build intricate web tunnels more like a GBB or other semi-terrestrial species.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Adding my own contribution (not the most ideal setup due to running out of sub during setup; this girl needs a rehouse anyways after her next molt, so I've already went and ordered extra bags of substrate)

Got her as an 2" DLS juvie, grown to 3.5+" DLS in less than three months and with just two molts.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Any tricks to mating these in general?
Cohab and space IME. They're extremely nervous in disposition and I've found it's almost impossible to do supervised pairings (unless you want to be chasing multiple spiders around the room). If they get spooked, it'll be hours until they calm down and focus on each other instead of you. The males will also bolt like there's no tomorrow after a successful pairing. Here's a recorded Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue pairing so you can see what I mean: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/interesting-behaviour.356201/post-3296468. If the male is just thrown into the female's enclosure to cohab and it's a small enclosure, there's a high chance of post mating cannibalism as the male can bounce back into the female in his attempt to flee.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Cohab and space IME. They're extremely nervous in disposition and I've found it's almost impossible to do supervised pairings (unless you want to be chasing multiple spiders around the room). If they get spooked, it'll be hours until they calm down and focus on each other instead of you. The males will also bolt like there's no tomorrow after a successful pairing. Here's a recorded Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue pairing so you can see what I mean: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/interesting-behaviour.356201/post-3296468. If the male is just thrown into the female's enclosure to cohab and it's a small enclosure, there's a high chance of post mating cannibalism as the male can bounce back into the female in his attempt to flee.
Really appreciate the info. Also, great thread you linked there.

Last edited:

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
I l
Anyone have any pics of O. Sp. malthai? Juvie and adult. Are they true fossorial or like to be arboreal. I have one I thought was c lividus but am being told it is O. Malthai. It did burrow and acted as fossorial for a while and now closed up its burrow and is always on top substrate. Need to rehouse it and want to make sure I do it right for the species it is. Thoughts?
View attachment 336647
I know this is a few years old however you should still have her. If this is O sp Maltai it will create a trapdoor at the top of her burrow. They are a fossorial species so keep them like any other terrestrial ornithoctoninae.

Juvi 3” female O sp. Malthai
916F5A4A-138B-45AE-9A93-E7E1A0701B85.jpeg 9D1C2C3A-99A5-4F6F-A6BF-CF7870C34689.jpeg
You can see that the blue is very muted in O sp. Malthai even under flash. She was freshly molted when this pic was taken as well. Around 3”

Juvi 4” female C lividus
1ECF0ED0-2503-4A1C-BB7A-BD22A0E35F31.jpeg 8B6AF32D-F9D9-401D-B40C-932114F80D64.jpeg 51BD7F05-D6FF-4925-9773-D168FB815105.jpeg With C. lividus the blues are very distinct even without the flash as you can see in the last photo. The setae in the abdomen have a distinctly different pattern and base color as well not seen in C lividus.

EDIT: O sp Maltai is not nearly as much of a spastic ball of fang either. Lividus can be bipolar whereas Maltai tends to be, IME more even tempered. You know what your getting into with Asian species but they are more on the mild side.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Screw it, this girl happens to be the pride of my modest collection, I'm posting every single pic I have of her.

While at it, this newer acquisition (C. schmidti) has been surprising me with just how visible and bold it is.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
Screw it, this girl happens to be the pride of my modest collection, I'm posting every single pic I have of her.

While at it, this newer acquisition (C. schmidti) has been surprising me with just how visible and bold it is.

If you can pull her out and get a decent ventral pic I can take a crack at sexing her for you. And I want to see her more lol

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
I l

I know this is a few years old however you should still have her. If this is O sp Maltai it will create a trapdoor at the top of her burrow. They are a fossorial species so keep them like any other terrestrial ornithoctoninae.

Juvi 3” female O sp. Malthai
View attachment 434229 View attachment 434230
You can see that the blue is very muted in O sp. Malthai even under flash. She was freshly molted when this pic was taken as well. Around 3”

Juvi 4” female C lividus
View attachment 434231 View attachment 434232 View attachment 434233 With C. lividus the blues are very distinct even without the flash as you can see in the last photo. The setae in the abdomen have a distinctly different pattern and base color as well not seen in C lividus.

EDIT: O sp Maltai is not nearly as much of a spastic ball of fang either. Lividus can be bipolar whereas Maltai tends to be, IME more even tempered. You know what your getting into with Asian species but they are more on the mild side.
1” Cyriopagopus sp malthai. I’m labeling them as Cyriopagopus because after the revision, it was supposed to contain terrstrial/fossorial species with all arboreals being assigned to ornithoctoninae.

These images also show the trap door structures they build.
C99090D2-7E53-45D6-B717-270B364E0651.jpeg 4B83095C-25F1-4878-8F6E-D6125827A1AA.jpeg D1B2EC99-5727-4D1E-AB50-F06F2D2A6A8E.jpeg FF305A25-3653-42BE-B394-01552F285DF2.jpeg F3BC9383-D4F7-4CC5-8BAE-CA71ED58B0B0.jpeg

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
If you can pull her out and get a decent ventral pic I can take a crack at sexing her for you. And I want to see her more lol
She was already ventrally sexed literally when I got her, I'm just not 100% certain she's a she because it was the breeder who did it and not me.

And pulling her out is going to be a pain and a half for various reasons....

Samuska

Arachnopeon
Is it absolutely sacrilege that I resurrect this old post? I’m sorry if it is! I wasn’t finding enough general info elsewhere about the Orthinoctinae group of Ts.

Q: which of the species in your experience has been the least reclusive? Slings I expect to be more anxious and hide more in general, though for sub/adults I wanted to know a good species that doesn’t mind sitting out at least some of the time on average. I’m not a big fan of pet holes and I already have quite a few in the OW bracket, so I’m looking to get a bolder show-off next.

Cheers :)

Kardo99

Arachnopeon
Q: which of the species in your experience has been the least reclusive? Slings I expect to be more anxious and hide more in general, though for sub/adults I wanted to know a good species that doesn’t mind sitting out at least some of the time on average.

Hi! I only have experience with P. everetti. I get mine when he was like 1" - 1.5", I didn’t see him unless I needed to rehouse him. He reached 2" mark in 4 months. Since then, almost every night he cames out of his burrow to stay visible (except when he is near premolt or recently moulted). In addition, with every molt he has became less skittish.

Samuska

Arachnopeon
Q: which of the species in your experience has been the least reclusive? Slings I expect to be more anxious and hide more in general, though for sub/adults I wanted to know a good species that doesn’t mind sitting out at least some of the time on average.

Hi! I only have experience with P. everetti. I get mine when he was like 1" - 1.5", I didn’t see him unless I needed to rehouse him. He reached 2" mark in 4 months. Since then, almost every night he cames out of his burrow to stay visible (except when he is near premolt or recently moulted). In addition, with every molt he has became less skittish.
all useful info to know, thank you 😊 I love the look of the Phormingochilus spp. but after my H devamatha and P subfusca HL I’m afraid of just adding more expensive pet holes to my collection haha