Organising Tarantula/Invert etc. Collections

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What’s this app you’re all talking about? I have an iPhone and can’t seem to find any tarantula organization apps in the App Store. Curious now because you’re all talking about it so I want to check it out now.

iMaex

Arachnopeon
What’s this app you’re all talking about? I have an iPhone and can’t seem to find any tarantula organization apps in the App Store. Curious now because you’re all talking about it so I want to check it out now.
It's literally just called "Tarantulas", but someone mentioned earlier in the thread that it might not be available on Apple/IOS :(. My best guess would be that this is because IOS is a lot more restrictive with file read/write access and I believe it's only developed by 1-2 people that don't have the time to support it.

Here it is on the Google Play store for reference and in case you can figure out a way to get the. Apk file:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tarantula.p3kb

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Currently I have 3 Ts and I plan on getting more later in the year. So far I have been using the app "Tarantulas" to keep things organised and making it easier to track feeding/moulting patterns. Not to mention that the developer(s) keep it updated with frequent bug fixes and small updates.

It got me thinking - What do other T carers and hobbyists use to do similar? - Are there better apps/analogue methods out there for larger collections?

Yea- paper and pencil- electronics die.

No T app for iOS

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It got me thinking - What do other T carers and hobbyists use to do similar? - Are there better apps/analogue methods out there for larger collections?
I currently use an Excel spreadsheet, which tracks when and where I got each tarantula, how much I paid, initial size, molts and growth, rehousings, etc. (I do not track every feeding, just when they start refusing food and when I resume feeding them after a molt.)

I recently downloaded the "Tarantulas" app for Android, but I haven't gotten around to adding my information to see if I prefer that interface or my spreadsheet.

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
I use an excel spreadsheet as both an inventory list of everyone I currently have in my collection and a wishlist too. I also have a notebook that I use for planning, writing out ideas and/or sketching enclosure ideas, etc... but that's more for fun than anything.

I don't really keep track of who eats and who doesn't, etc. I just have one or two nights a week that I go in and water everyone and offer food to those who need it.

Right now the vast majority of my collection is in premolt so I haven't done much besides water for the last week or two. Lots of rehouses coming up though, with lots of 'hand me downs' as everyone is growing into bigger enclosures, so I've utilized plenty of lists and sticky notes to keep track of who I'm planning on moving where.

Tommydragon10

Arachnopeon
I have standard alarms set on my phone to feed and water them once a week an. I don't bother with tracking anything else with them. I don't feel I necessarily need to keep a data log on my spiders. Keep feedings and such universal and life is good.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
:eek:

I don’t keep records at all. I get the benefit of doing so (especially when getting into breeding/selling), just it doesn’t seem all that necessary to me at the moment.

I just see if the water dish is low, how plump the abdomen is and go from there.