ordering T's in summer

VaMil93

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. New to the board and wanting to get into keeping T's. I was wondering how many of you have ordered T's in the summer and what issues there are with shipping in warmer weather. Specifically 2nd day shipping to the midwest via DHL.

I am leaning towards getting Avic Avic (1/2") and Grammostola aureostriata (1") as starters. Any comments there would be appreaciated. I am a little intimidated about getting them so small. Thanks in advance for help.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
During the summer, if it's above 90 they prob won't guarantee live arrival. Sometimes even if it's overnighted.

If it's cool for a week, say -80 degrees, then 2nd day delivery would prob be fine.

I don't know how hot it gets where u are, but I definately wouldn't recomend having them ship slings if if over 90 degrees by 2nd shipping.
Hot weather will absolutely abliterate avics, espescially slings.

Oh, and about using DHL, I don't like 'em, but if u use them, watch for the delivery person, he'll leave the package at your door and you'll never know it. Urgh... I don't like DHL...
Unless the sender requests otherwise I guess.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most dealers put cold packs in the summer to keep the temps inside the box from being overheated.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
honestlly

to be truthfull i would never use 2day and dhl sucks in cali and most of the reptile dealers out where i live dont use them...well at least what i have experianced...its only a few dollars more, i'd go with the next day!!lol t's are ivestments and become part of the family, and since ur paying money for these guys why not get the extra insurance, unless u have money to burn..as a college student i dont so better safe then sorry thats just my thoughts..but im sure others have had better experiances with 2days so u never know!!hope that helps

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ShadowBlade said:
During the summer, if it's above 90 they prob won't guarantee live arrival.
Personally, I'm appalled that any dealer would even CONSIDER putting a spider in the mail if the day temps are 90+, and also that assumedly, there are people who are asking them to do so...

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Cerbera said:
Personally, I'm appalled that any dealer would even CONSIDER putting a spider in the mail if the day temps are 90+, and also that assumedly, there are people who are asking them to do so...
Yes, and if you noticed in my post, I too opposed it.
But, sadly, people do ask that sometimes, not realizing the danger.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Just find out if the dealer uses cold packs or not.

Fullstop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
During the average weather around here I tend to get 2 day. If it's going to be abnormally cold or hot, I'll email them to hold of or they'll do it on their own. Either way it will not be shipped until the weather permits. I can wait until it's safe for them.

No problems with 2 day yet.

VaMil93

Arachnopeon
it is from Swifts

He does use cold packs in styrofoam containers. From all the comments I have read, his packaging is very good.

VaMil93

Arachnopeon
forecast is for mid to upper 80's for next few days.

Not really steaming but not what I would call mild either.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
VaMil93 said:
Not really steaming but not what I would call mild either.
With a cold pack, I'd still say to overnight it. Avicularia slings are quite fragile. heat WILL kill them quickly.

Linda Landsman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just keep in mind, that even overnight guaranteed can turn into 2 days. That is what happened to me twice in a row, from usps. Luckily the T's were both ok, one being an adult p irminia. My temps were warm than, I live in Fl, so daytime temps were upper 80's. Kelly is a pro, and he will know whether it is safe of not, you should be fine.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My two Avic slings were detained in Tennessee over a 5-day period with temps in the 90's and they arrived just fine and dandy. However had it not been for the very thorough packing of the shipper, they more than likely would have perished.

However, if you don't mind paying extra, I would not use DHL at all. They've screwed me on enough snake shipments to make me want to pay the extra money for Fedex.

DHL more often than not cannot find my home in a rural location, and then they say they 'attempted delivery' when they most certainly did not ever show up at my home ( I was sitting by the front door since 7am). It took a lot of phone arguing to get them to come back out and re-deliver the snake (not their policy to attempt redelivery the same day).

With temps above 80, I would use Overnight/Next Day Air rather than 2-day. You never know what may get screwed up or if the weather may change. I would rather shell out some extra money for upgraded shipping than have two dead spiders. Plus with it being a moderately sized package and light in weight, it may turn out to be not much more expensive.

Being cheap never made much sense to me when it involves live animals. :?

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just wondering : Aren't Ts supposed to be tropical animals?

I am sure that the native Avic habitat reaches higher temperatures sometimes. And the burrowing species nearby Equator don't have air conditionning in their lairs. :) I have been twice in my life in an habitat where Tarantulas occur, and I was litteraly suffocating and melting, so I think they can stand the heat better than I do... I'd rather think that problems are perhaps due to poorer air quality in package, since hotter means less oxygen it. But if they leave package in a place that gets toasted by the sun then the T's are really cooked...

Linda Landsman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that's the key, if the packages aren't left out in the direct sun for too long, or driven around on a truck all day, they should be fine . Also, the amount if insulation in the packing I know must help from extreme temps either way. I had an adult avic take 2 days, and she was fine.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Merfolk said:
I'm just wondering : Aren't Ts supposed to be tropical animals?

I am sure that the native Avic habitat reaches higher temperatures sometimes. And the burrowing species nearby Equator don't have air conditionning in their lairs. :) I have been twice in my life in an habitat where Tarantulas occur, and I was litteraly suffocating and melting, so I think they can stand the heat better than I do... I'd rather think that problems are perhaps due to poorer air quality in package, since hotter means less oxygen it. But if they leave package in a place that gets toasted by the sun then the T's are really cooked...
I too have been where Avics are in the wild. I brought one out of it's 'burrow' for our guide.

The high temperatures that avics thrive in have one thing, AIRFLOW. The stagnant air reaching high temperatures inside of a cardboard box is the problem. Not to mention DHL's throwing it around..

If it is ever left in the sunlight, then if the temps are 90+, then inside the box it could easily get over 100 degrees.

I don't care, I wouldn't trust avic slings in boxes over 90 degrees, 2nd day delivery. Even if they threw in an ice pack, dealers often don't guarantee live arrival through second day, so if it dies, your stuck. Alot of Avics are expensive.