Opinions on enclosure size for adult arboreals

goonius

Arachnoknight
I'm looking for opinions on which enclosure to invest in for 4 arboreals that have not yet reached maturity but will soon outgrow their current digs; a P gigas, T violaceus, C versicolor & P irminia. Right now I'm looking exo terra terrariums; would the 8 x 8 x 12 be sufficient or should I be looking at the larger (and more expensive) 12 x 12 x 18?

goonius

Arachnoknight
So, should I just guesstimate? They aren't adults yet. The range of potential size online is actually pretty wide. Like for the versicolor, just as an example, a female is 5-6" while a male can be 1-2" smaller. I don't know the sex. Does this mean I should always size up?

I am not a highly experienced keeper. My only adults are terrestrials. I was hoping someone could give me insights to what enclosures size they are using for adults for these species.

Transrights

Arachnosquire
I'm currently keeping my pokies in 20x20x40 cm enclosures, (8x8x16 in), one AM P.Metallica in a 20x20x30cm (8x8x12) and one P. Irminia in a 20x30x30cm... I've also had 30x30x40cm (12x12x18) enclosures to house arboreals.

I'd honestly suggest keeping your slings and juvies in cheaper, makeshift enclosures and buying the more expensive Exoterras. It will be too big for slings, but with the larger size you will have plenty of space to work with. One thing you don't want with arboreals is them webbing up everything (which will almost certainly happen with 8x8x12) and you having to disturb the webbing everytime you open the top or front. Can work for smaller adult males but I wouldn't attempt that with adult females.

I actually really like my P.Irminia's enclosure providing a lot of depth while also not feeling like space is being wasted and I'm starting getting into building my own enclosures because I dislike all other sizes for one reason or another.

goonius

Arachnoknight
I'm currently keeping my pokies in 20x20x40 cm enclosures, (8x8x16 in), one AM P.Metallica in a 20x20x30cm (8x8x12) and one P. Irminia in a 20x30x30cm... I've also had 30x30x40cm (12x12x18) enclosures to house arboreals.

I'd honestly suggest keeping your slings and juvies in cheaper, makeshift enclosures and buying the more expensive Exoterras. It will be too big for slings, but with the larger size you will have plenty of space to work with. One thing you don't want with arboreals is them webbing up everything (which will almost certainly happen with 8x8x12) and you having to disturb the webbing everytime you open the top or front. Can work for smaller adult males but I wouldn't attempt that with adult females.

I actually really like my P.Irminia's enclosure providing a lot of depth while also not feeling like space is being wasted and I'm starting getting into building my own enclosures because I dislike all other sizes for one reason or another.
Thank you! This is really helpful, and is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Like for the versicolor, just as an example, a female is 5-6" while a male can be 1-2" smaller.
They max out at around 4.5" or so, and males reach a similar size. I don't go by any of these X x leg span "rules" as they often result in massively oversized enclosures (especially as the tarantula isn't even going to use most of the space and they rarely sit at full stretch anyway).

a P gigas, T violaceus, C versicolor & P irminia.
I have adult females of C. versicolor, P. irminia, and P. gigas. I keep them all in 20x20x30 Exo Terras.

I can't see T. violaceus getting bigger than T. polybotes and I keep my adult female in a 20x20x30 glass enclosure.

Generally speaking, any species maxing out at 6" or under can go in a nano tall (20x20x30), anything larger can go in a small tall (30x30x45).

goonius

Arachnoknight
They max out at around 4.5" or so, and males reach a similar size. I don't go by any of these X x leg span "rules" as they often result in massively oversized enclosures (especially as the tarantula isn't even going to use most of the space and they rarely sit at full stretch anyway).

I have adult females of C. versicolor, P. irminia, and P. gigas. I keep them all in 20x20x30 Exo Terras.

I can't see T. violaceus getting bigger than T. polybotes and I keep my adult female in a 20x20x30 glass enclosure.

Generally speaking, any species maxing out at 6" or under can go in a nano tall (20x20x30), anything larger can go in a small tall (30x30x45).
Thank you so much. Very helpful!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
you can keep smaller arboreal species in the 8 x 8 x 12 if you have to
I use the 12 x 12 x 18s for most of mine

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm looking for opinions on which enclosure to invest in for 4 arboreals that have not yet reached maturity but will soon outgrow their current digs; a P gigas, T violaceus, C versicolor & P irminia. Right now I'm looking exo terra terrariums; would the 8 x 8 x 12 be sufficient or should I be looking at the larger (and more expensive) 12 x 12 x 18?
Depends on adult size of T

I’d go shorter on irminia